The Board of Trustees of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill by action at a meeting held on September 13, 1974, approved this Charter for the Board of Visitors.
Article I - Organization and Duration
- There is hereby created an unincorporated association to be known as the BOARD OF VISITORS.
- The association shall continue in existence at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees.
Article II - Purpose and Function
- The BOARD OF VISITORS shall be a service organization of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill whose goal is to assist the Board of Trustees and the Chancellor in maintaining and
enhancing the quality and excellence of the University.
- In this role, the association shall have the following functions:
- to assist the Board of Trustees and the Chancellor on specific projects as may be delegated to the association from time to time;
- to educate members concerning the mission, programs, accomplishments, needs and aspirations of the University at Chapel Hill and to assist in communicating and promoting them to the general public and to other specific constituencies as may be requested by the Chancellor or the Board of Trustees;
- to help keep the Board of Trustees and the Chancellor informed of the attitudes, opinions, concerns and expectations with respect to the University at Chapel Hill;
- to advise and assist the Board of Trustees and the Chancellor with respect to the developmental activities of the University at Chapel Hill; and
- to energize and develop sustained personal support of and engagement in the programs and activities of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, including continuing active involvement and participation beyond the individual memberís term.
Article III - Membership
- The BOARD OF VISITORS shall consist of 160 elected members, plus the President of the General Alumni Association who will serve as an ex officio member.
- There shall be but one qualification for membership in the association - a willingness to help The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill fulfill its threefold mission of education, research and public service on a global level.
- Members shall be elected to the association by the Board of Trustees (by such process as it may determine) on nomination of the Chancellor.
- As terms expire, 40 members shall be elected at the May meeting of the Board of Trustees. Each member will serve one four-year term ending June 30 of the appropriate year. Any person who has served one four-year term shall be ineligible for re-election for a period of one year. Any vacancy that occurs in the membership shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term in the manner specified in paragraph 3 of this article.
- Vacancies in membership may be declared by the Board of Trustees for any cause determined by the Board at their discretion.
- Those elected to the position of Honorary Trustee of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill shall become members ex officio of the Board of Visitors. Upon leaving the office, the Chancellor of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the President of The University of North Carolina shall also become members ex officio of the Board of Visitors.
- There shall be a Chairman and one or more Vice-Chairmen of the association. The Secretary of the University at Chapel Hill shall serve as Secretary of the association.
- The officers of the association, other than the Secretary, shall be elected each May by the Board of Trustees (by such process as it may determine) on nomination of the Chancellor.
- Such officers shall serve until June 30 of the year following their election. An officer may be re-elected for an unlimited number of terms. Any vacancy in an office shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term in the manner specified in paragraph 2 of this Article.
- Meetings of the association shall be called by its Chairman in consultation with the Chancellor.
- Such meetings may be held at any time and place specified in the call of the meeting.
- Members of the Board of Trustees and the Chancellor may attend and participate in all meetings of the association.
- This Charter may be amended at any time by action of the Board of Trustees.
- Amendments may be made by such Board on its own initiative or in response to suggestions made by the Chancellor or by the association.