Tar Heel Bus Tour Stops
Throughout the week, faculty on the Tar
Heel Bus Tour are adding to their awareness of North
Carolina's geography, economy, culture, government and politics,
history, educational systems and health issues.
Click on the photos below to expand them.
From left to right:
- Marcia Van Riper, center, joins other participants
picking strawberries on the Vollmer Farm.
- Kelly Evenson, left, and Elmira Mangum, smell
cured tobacco during a stop at Mitchell's Farm in
- Participants in the Tar Heel Bus Tour stand atop
the Shell Island Resort at Wrightsville Beach as
they look out over the Mason Inlet project.
- Farmer Steve Mitchell, right, shows a tobacco
nursery palate to Faculty Chair Judith Wegner, center,
and Chancellor James Moeser, left.
- Bus Tour participants listen to John Vollmer.
The Vollmers have a diversified farm with tobacco,
strawberries, spring and fall vegetables, and pumpkins.
- Chancellor James Moeser, left, smells cured tobacco
held by farmer Steve Mitchell on the first day of
- Administrator Kathleen Flynn welcomes participants
to St. Julia's Catholic Church is Siler City.
- James Johnson, director of the Urban Investment
Strategies Center in the Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute
of Private Enterprise, addresses participants to
St. Julia's Catholic Church.
- Faculty member Daniel Gitterman, left, chats with
Margarete Henao over lunch at St. Julia's Catholic
- James Speed, president and CEO-elect of NC Mutual
Life Insurance, talks to faculty member Jane Thrailkill,
left, during at the company's headquarters in Durham.
- Elmira Mangum, left; NC Mutual Life Insurance
General Counsel Chuck Watts, center; and School
of Government Dean Mike Smith look at the Durham
skyline from the top floor of the company's headquarters.
Tar Heel Bus Tour Homepage
Goals of the Tar Heel Bus Tour / Past Tours
Application Process and Participant Selection
On-line Application Form / News from the Tour
Linda Douglas, Director of Community Relations
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Campus Box 6225, 210 Pittsboro Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-6225
(919) 843-9393 / (919) 843-5966 FAX