UNC Reli 581 (Asia 581), advanced undergraduate/M.A.
seminar, Spring 2007
Home | Schedule | Requirements
- Wed. at 11 a.m. in
3018 Global Education Center
- Thu. at 2 p.m. in Saunders 107
Change of time/place:
- Wed., Mar. 28 at 3 pm in
- Thu., Apr.
12 at 10 am in Saunders 107
- no office hours 18-19,
Course Description: A survey of
Islamic mysticism, it sources in the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad,
and its literary, cultural, and social deployment in Arab, Persian,
Indic, and Turkish regions.
prerequisites for advanced undergraduates or M.A. students. Student who
do not have a firm background in Islamic studies are strongly advised
to read recommended
studies on Islam.
- Carl W. Ernst, Guide to Sufism (Shambhala
- Carl W. Ernst, trans., Teachings of Sufism (Shambhala
- Carl W. Ernst and Bruce B. Lawrence, Sufi Martyrs of Love:
Chishti Sufism in South Asia and Beyond (New York: Palgrave, 2002)
- Signs of the Unseen: Mystical Discourses of Rumi,
trans. W. M. Thackston, Jr.
- Plus additional materials from the Internet, occasional films,
and sound recordings of Sufi music that will be heard at every class