Ralph T. Byrns
Adjunct Professor (2001–)
Department of Economics
The University of North Carolina
CB# 3305, Gardner Hall
PROVIDING INFORMATION FOR RECOMMENDATIONS OR REFERENCES
Please send me a folder (including appropriate documents and computer files, and please email me copies of helpful computer files) containing:
1. Contact information: Your name, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses.
2. How I know you (e.g., Fall 2006, Econ 423). Ideally, you will have made an A in each course you’ve taken from me, and will have participated productively in these classes.
3. Purpose of the reference or recommendation, and if it should be kept on file for future use. Be as specific as possible in job or program title. If it is a short-term position or fellowship, specific information on the purpose should be included. Include school or employer names and addresses in addressed stamped envelopes when appropriate. Include any forms as well and, if they need to be returned to you, indicate when you need them. They can be picked up at my office or the Econ office with prior notice.
4. Include a current transcript (a copy is fine) and indicate the names of all Economics professors taken on the transcript, or in a separate listing by course and grade. If there are courses, papers, or special projects that pertain to your application, please highlight them and provide details if necessary. You may also include a term paper is you need/want evaluation of written abilities.
5. A résumé or the equivalent. This should include degrees, employment, and volunteer activities if appropriate. Be sure to indicate the expected or actual graduation date if this is relevant.
6. Attach a personal statement explaining why the position for which you’ve applied will further the interest of both you and the organization to which you’ve applied.
7. Include a draft of the recommendation you would like sent as a Microsoft Word document and computer file on a disk. This ensures that my letter is correctly addressed, and helps me assess your ability to write clearly, succinctly, and interestingly. Note: I normally embellish letters of recommendation when converting from your draft to my final letter.
Reference requests will be honored only if this folder is delivered to me, and only if you talk to me. I appreciate receiving a complete folder whenever possible. This information can be left at my office (Gardner 005) or in the Economics Office (Gardner 107). Use the address and phone numbers in the header of this file for employer/school contact.
Be sure to send a note to let me know how things work out! Thank you.