Security Breach:

"An incident of unauthorized access to and acquisition of unencrypted and unredacted records or data containing personal information where illegal use of the personal information has occurred or is reasonably likely to occur or that creates a material risk of harm to an individual."


Identifying Information



* Social security or employer taxpayer identification numbers.


* Drivers license, State identification card, or passport numbers (except drivers license numbers appearing on law enforcement records)


* Checking and savings account numbers.


* Credit and debit card numbers.


* Personal Identification (“PIN”) Code as defined in N.C.G.S. § 14‑113.8(6).


* Digital signatures.


*Any other numbers or information that can be used to access a person’s financial resources.


* Biometric data.


* Fingerprints.


* Passwords.












What To Do


COORDINATE your efforts with your departmental contact person.


NOTIFY local law enforcement immediately.

Call your local police department and report your situation and the potential risk for identity theft.


CLOSE all financial accounts.

Contact banks and creditors.  If you open new accounts, place unique passwords on them.


REPORT identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. 

     Submit an FTC ID Theft affidavit or place a report by calling the FTC: 1-877-THEFT.


PLACE a fraud alert on your credit report.

     Contact one of the three major credit bureaus by telephone, mail, or via their website. 


   Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com

                 P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241


   Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742); www.experian.com

                   P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013


   TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com

                    Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790


Alerts last 90 days unless you request an extended seven-year fraud alert and provide a police report.  You will receive a copy of your credit report from each bureau - review them carefully and notify the bureaus in writing of any fraudulent activity.


PLACE a security freeze on new credit issued in your name

     Send a freeze letter by certified mail to each of the three credit bureaus above.


REPORT and DISPUTE unauthorized use of credit cards and billing errors.

Within 60 days after the first bill containing the error was mailed to you, send a dispute letter to the creditor at the address given for "billing inquiries," not the address for sending payments.


TO see if there are outstanding bad checks in your name, call SCAN:  1-800-262-7771.


TO notify retailers not to accept bad checks, call Telecheck:  1-800-710-9898 and

Certegy, Inc.:  1-800-437-5120.


TO request a free credit report annually: 1-877-322-8228 or http://www.annualcreditreport.com.


IF you suspect that someone else has a state-issued NC driver's license in your name,

call the NC Division of Motor Vehicles:  919-715-7000


IF someone is using your SSN for employment purposes, call the SSN Administration:

1-800-269-0271 and Employment Security Commission: 919-733-5034.


IF you suspect mail theft or fraud, call the NC local postal inspector:  704-329-9120 or http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors.


IF you suspect that someone has used your name to avoid criminal punishment,

notify local law enforcement and the district attorney in each county where the charges were brought.


Federal & State Resources


Federal Trade Commission



NC Department of Justice



NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles



Other Resources


"Take Charge: Fighting Back Against Identity Theft"



Identify Theft Resource Center



Internet Crime Complaint Center (FBI and Nat'l White Collar Crime Center)