NC-MSEN
North Carolina Mathematics and Science Education Network

 

csldbldg

 

NC-MSEN Pre-College Program (PCP)

The NC-MSEN Pre-College Program (PCP) was created by the General Assembly in 1986 with a mission to increase the pool of students, who graduate from North Carolina high schools with sufficient interest and preparation to pursue university-level majors that lead to careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and teaching. Parental engagement is a central feature of the program. Students enter the multi-year academic program as rising 6th graders and are expected to re-enroll until they graduate from high school. Currently, there are five PCP sites, which are housed on different UNC campuses in North Caroling. The five PCP sites are: Elizabeth City State University, Fayetteville State University, North Carolina State University, UNC Charlotte and Winston-Salem State University.

According to our 2013-14 follow-up senior survey, 98% of our NC-MSEN PCP high school graduates reported that they planned to pursue postsecondary education while the remaining 2% was split evenly between joining the Armed Forces and workforce. Among the 98% graduates, 73% reported that they were accepted to attend colleges or universities in North Carolina; 72% reported that they planned to pursue a STEM major; 74% reported they planned to pursue advanced degrees; 69% reported that they were offered some types of scholarship including full scholarships and multiple scholarships. NC-MSEN PCP activities include:

 

1. Academic Enrichment Classes - classes that are offered daily to middle school students at some PCP sites
2. Academic Chapter of Excellence (ACE) Clubs - academic organizations that provide a peer support group for students who are interested in science, technology, engineering and mathematic (STEM)
3. Saturday Academy - a series of courses and field trips held at individual PCP sites during the school year
3. Summer Program - academic activities that include the Summer Scholars Program and the Pre-College Research Experiences Program (PREP)
4. Academic, College, and Career Advising
5. SAT and ACT preparation classes
6. MSEN Day - a statewide annual competition in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)
7. Recognition and Scholarship Awards
8. PIE (Parents Involved in Excellence) Clubs - parents support and assist in planning program activities
9. Leadership Conference - an annual conference focused on leadership and teamwork building activities
10. Grant-funded projects such as R.O.B.O.T.S., S.P.A.C.E., P.E.R.S.I.S.T., and etc.

 

NC-MSEN Pre-College Program (PCP) Brochure
(print in pdf)

 

EDUmetrics - Online Enrollment

Since different PCP sites might have different enrollment periods, processes and criteria, please call Felicia at the Network Office at 919-843-0176 or send her an e-mail inquiry at feliciaL@northcarolina.edu for further details prior to submitting an on-line enrollment form.

 

Senior Survey - Online Enrollment

Please fill out the survey online but do not submit it online. Please print out the completed survey and give it to your coordinator or mail it to the Network Office if instructed by your coordinator.