The Burroughs Wellcome-funded Pre-College Experiences for Reaching Students Interested in Science Teaching (P.E.R.S.I.S.T.) Project has officially ended on June 30, 2014.
About the Project:
Pre-College Experiences to Recruit Students Into Science Teaching (P.E.R.S.I.S.T.) was a science and mathematics teacher recruitment program for high school students with high potential, but who may not have been encouraged to pursue mathematics or science teaching as a career. The Program will enable students to develop a greater understanding of the teaching process and acquire the fundamental skills needed for a science or mathematics teaching career.
- Improve students’ understanding of science and mathematics teaching by engaging them in rigorous, challenging, hands-on, inquiry-based advanced courses; academic advising; job shadowing; online community; and seminars focused on teaching, communication, and leadership skills.
- Forge partnerships between student participants and UNC faculty who will serve as mentors/consultants in nurturing students’ enthusiasm for science/mathematics teaching.
- Expose students to current information on science-/mathematics-related baccalaureate programs that lead to teaching careers.
- Involve parents in workshops that examine and promote careers in mathematics/science teaching.
- Saturday Academy (SA) Sessions
- Summer Scholars (SS) Program
- College Tours / Field Trips (e.g., Schools of Education)
- Career/Role Model Speakers
- Academic Advising and Career Counseling
- Seminars - Conferences (e.g., FTA, NC OPT-ED , NCSTA, NCCTM)
- Leadership Development Program
- Job-Shadowing, Classroom Observations, Lesson Planning, and Student Teaching Opportunities
- Mentoring and Tutoring Experiences
- Annual Awards and Recognition Programs /Banquets
- SAT and Praxis Preparation
- Journal Writing and Book Reviews
- Mathematics and Science Competitions
- Communication Skills
- Scholarship and Financial Aid Workshops
- Parent Involvement and Workshops
- Online Learning Community and Workshop
College Preparation: Thinking about Teaching as a Career and the Value of Teaching
College Matriculation: College Requirements for Teaching
Teaching as a Profession: Professional Requirements for Teaching
The P.E.R.S.I.S.T. PLEDGE
(Written and Presented By Dr. Leon Rouson)
- I pledge to become competent, compassionate, cooperative, and committed science or mathematics teacher.
- I promise to promote diversity, truth, and opportunity for all students.
- I will uphold all of these standards and principles as I prepare to enter a career in teaching science or mathematics.
Major Project Partners:
Past Project's Events
2011-2014 NCSU P.E.R.S.I.S.T. - Please click to view the Powerpoint show
2008 P.E.R.S.I.S.T. - Please click to view the Powerpoint show
2007 P.E.R.S.I.S.T. - Please click to view the Powerpoint show
Please click on the image above to view the poster.