Below are the curriculum points that this activity fits with.
It was designed for the North Carolina standard Biology course.
NC Standard Course Of Study Objectives
- 3.01: Analyze the molecular basis of heredity including:
protein synthesis, gene regulation
- 3.04: Assess the impact of advances in genomics on
individuals and society; applications of biotechnology
- Genes are segments of DNA molecules. Inserting, deleting, or
substituting segments of DNA molecules can alter genes. An
altered gene may be passed on to every cell that develops from
it. The resulting features may help, harm, or have little or
no effect on the offsprings' success in the environment
- Gene mutation in a cell can result in uncontrolled cell
division called cancer.
- The genetic information encoded in DNA molecuels provides
instructions for assembling proteins.