Students exploring this website should be pretty self sufficient. Here are the step by step instructions they need to follow in order to get everything done
- Step 1: Students will log into the website provided to them
- Step 2: After reading through the first page students will continue on to review RNA and learn about RNAi
- Step 3: On the RNAi page, students will watch a simulation and read about how RNAi affects protein synthesis in the cell
- Step 4: Students will continue on through the next pages
- STEP 5: ONCE STUDENTS ARE ON THE DIY PAGE, THEY HAVE A CHOICE OF WHICH PROTEIN THEY WANT TO EXPERIMENT WITH (depending on your schedule, they can work through one protein or multiple on the page)
- Step 6: Students will write down what they observed on the worksheet handed out by the teacher
- Step 7: Students can then go back and work on another RNAi, take the quiz or be finished with the website
Instructions for Teachers
Before class starts, teachers need to...
- Print out the worksheet that goes along with the website Worksheets
Once the class begins, make sure the students stay on the website and don't get distracted and visit other sites on the computer. Other than that, just let your students go and enjoy the website on their own. They should be able to get through it on their own. At the end of the class, you can collect the worksheets to grade however you my like or the students can hold on to them and discuss their results at the beginning of the next class period.