Carolina Millennial Scholars
CMSP is now accepting applications for a summer internship opportunity. Please click here for a description of the internship and email address to send an application.
Video Features Millennial Scholar
If you have trouble seeing the video, please point your browser to http://youtu.be/8MuKlFKRL7U.
About the Carolina Millennial Scholars Program (CMSP)
CMSP is a comprehensive program that invites enrolled minority male students to join a cohort of scholars in a specially designed program to promote academic and professional success. Scholars will be assigned a faculty/staff mentor according to their academic majors or interests (i.e., social sciences, natural sciences and mathematics, arts and humanities, business, communication, public health, journalism, etc.). CMSP will focus on:
- Success - Scholars will take part in a series of seminars and workshops aimed at providing resources and personal development during their first year at Carolina.
- Networking - Scholars will meet and engage Carolina faculty, administrators, and alumni and other community leaders
- Community - Scholars will meet other minority college males on campus and participate in outreach activities
- The scholar - The Carolina Millennial Scholars Program is designed to recruit, connect, and support minority college males in ways that lead to retention and graduation.
The Carolina Millennial Scholars Program, or CMSP, aims to enhance student life and learning among first-year undergraduate and transfer minority males and, more specifically:
- Increasing the overall learning experience of minority male students through the second year;
- Increasing persistence and graduation rates among minority male freshmen and first-year transfers beyond the first year
- Facilitating the participation of minority males in high-impact activities (e.g., study abroad and undergraduate research), which have a positive impact on retention and graduation;
- Assisting program participants in forming connections through workshops, faculty and staff mentors, Carolina alumni, and community members;
- Providing professional, academic, social, and cultural development;
- Engaging minority male youth (K-12) and community colleges in an effort to promote service while attracting students to UNC-Chapel Hill; and
- Creating a diverse and inclusive campus climate, which advances learning and critical thinking across all students.
- Office of Undergraduate Retention | studentsuccess.unc.edu
- Center for Student Success and Academic Counseling | cssac.unc.edu/
- Institutional Research and Assessment | oira.unc.edu
- New Student and Carolina Parent Programs | nscpp.unc.edu
- Undergraduate Admissions | admissions.unc.edu
- Carolina Covenant | www.unc.edu/carolinacovenant
- Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid | studentaid.unc.edu
- Student Life and Activities | uncstudentorgs.collegiatelink.net/organizations
- Housing and Residential Education | housing.unc.edu/residence-life
- Carolina Leadership Development | leadership.unc.edu
- Academic Advising Program | advising.unc.edu
Marco Barker, PhD, CMSP Director
Sr. Director for Education, Operations, and Initiatives
Ada Wilson, JD, CMSP Co-Director
Director for Inclusive Student Excellence
Josmell Perez, MA, Co-Director
Coordinator for Multicultural Programs and Carolina Latina/o Collaborative
More Information | Contact Recruitment and Multicultural Programs at (919) 843-6086 or by email.