COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
STUDENT SERVICES STAFF MEETING
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
10:30 AM –11:50 AM Toy Lounge
10:30 AM – Nick Siedentop, Curriculum Director, welcomed the group.
1. Nick Siedentop provided some important scheduling information for fall 2013 FYS courses and a demonstration of the Grade Roster Status Report in Connect Carolina
- Schedulers can now add “instructor consent” to FYS beginning the first day of classes.
- Enrollment caps should remain at 24, consent should be set to “no consent”, waitlist capacity should be set to “0”, notes should be removed from last year, FYS should be scheduled in a standard meeting pattern.
- Scheduling FYS 89 (Special Topics) courses
- Add secondary title (use “Free Format Topic” field for secondary title and be sure to select “Print Topic on Transcript”).
- Instructor needs to complete online FYS Prospectus Form and attach a course syllabus by February 1, 2013.
- If the course has been offered more than twice, it must receive a permanent number (submit in CRAS).
- Nick also demonstrated the Grade Roster Status Report in Connect Carolina: NC_SR_GRADE_ROSTER_STATUS.
2. May Graduation Weekend
- Jane C. Smith, Associate Director, University Events
- All commencement information on the Commencement Website. Fall and spring commencement ceremonies will be live-streamed there as well.
- Handout with December commencement information distributed. No tickets are needed. There should be plenty of parking around Smith Center. Dr. Myron Cohen will be the speaker.
- Kenan Stadium will be used for the May graduation. Events office will send out commencement information for this soon. Steve Pace, the founder of AOL, is the speaker. Departmental ceremony space requests have already come in.
- Jill Crowder, Business Services Coordinator, UNC Grounds
- UNC Grounds can help departments with chairs, podiums, etc. for events.
- Jill Crowder’s contact information is in the contact email sent from Jane C. Smith.
- Jim Kessler, Accessibility Resources & Service (Formerly Disability Services)
- New website: http://accessibility.unc.edu
- Jim’s office works with UNC Parking to get handicap parking permits for easier access. Parking runs shuttles to get everyone on the field. All venues should be accessible. Accessibility Office will provide a permit to give to UNC Parking. This includes an envelope distributed with a parking pass, seating assignment, etc. Last mailing of envelopes on Friday, May 3, 2013.
- Put an early notice out to have potential graduates contact the Accessibility Resources and Service office if they will need interpreters. This will be a cost incurred to departments.
- If there are questions, have people contact the office directly for help: 962-8300 or email email@example.com for additional information.
- Deborah Hawkins and Nancy Fearrington, UNC Parking
- Handout with commencement ceremony parking information distributed.
- Parking request form is on the website. Once the request is submitted, you will receive a confirmation response that your request has been received.
- Some may have to pay to park; operation and cost charts are on the handout.
- Joan Roberts-Coleman, Records Service Coordinator
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- As long as the Chancellor has conferred them, diplomas for professional graduate degree recipients are available for pick-up in the Registrar’s Office on Commencement Sunday (usually available from 11am – 2pm) and throughout the month of May. In early June those which remain are mailed to each graduate’s home address (as listed in ConnectCarolina).
- Student Services staff can now run graduation reports.
- Carolina Catering provided business cards with contact information
3. OBI Student Records Reporting
- Dashboard overview, Chris Derickson, Assistant Provost and University Registrar
- A few helpful items on the homepage: Announcements, brief instructions for creating a report, training documents.
- Seven customized principle reports, filterable by selected parameters. Filters are “and” combined.
- Chris did a brief demonstration of what is included in the “Term Enrollment” report tab.
- The Office of the Registrar is currently working on data marts to validate additional data so that they can eventually create more reports.
- Nick Siedentop demonstrated the “Term Enrollment” tab function within the OBI reporting tool, setting parameters in the OBI reports dashboard and tailoring the exported spreadsheet to separate out information about first and second majors within a department.
- Ben Haven, Curriculum Analyst, Office of Undergraduate Curricula, demonstrated the “Class” tab function within the OBI reporting tool, showing how to run reports to assist in cleaning up parts of a course schedule. He also briefly demonstrated how to build a list of instructor emails using the “Instructor” tab function within the OBI reporting tool.
- Lori Harris, Business Services Coordinator, Department of Asian Studies, demonstrated how to glean important information from the “Degree Recipients” tab within the OBI reporting tool.
- Nick will follow-up with the Registrar’s Office with several requests from the group
- Create a list of all the program/plan codes by department
- Adding a column to the “Class” tab function for reserved capacities (yes or no)
- Adding a column to the “Class” tab function for class notes (yes or no)
The meeting adjourned at 11:50 AM.
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday April 10, 2013. Location: TBD.