Skip Navigation
Increase font size
Decrease font size

Course Petitions

If you took a course that did not fulfill a specific General Education requirement, but you feel it meets the criteria for that requirement, you may be eligible to submit a course petition.

Course petitions will be considered on a limited basis for transfer students, who may be behind in satisfying General Education and major requirements, and seniors, who may not have time to take the appropriate course before graduation. All other students are expected to plan ahead and complete their requirements without substitutions.

Requests must be for courses already taken or in which the student is currently enrolled. Requests to substitute credits gained By Examination (BE credits) or through work and life experiences that do not carry academic credit cannot be honored.

Course petitions also are not appropriate for transfer credits, unless you believe that the transferred course should fulfill a General Education requirement. If you have questions about transfer credit counting toward your major or minor, please discuss such courses with the director of undergraduate studies in the department in which the course is taught, or click here to submit a transfer re-evaluation request.

Decisions concerning petitions requesting course substitutions for General Education requirements are made within 15 working days, and you will be notified by email.

To learn about what information and supporting documents are required with your petition, click here.