Latina/o Programs Coordinator
SEPTEMBER 7, 2012 IS THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION.
This position is open to all sophomores and first-years at Carolina and requires event planning skills, effective communication skills, and the ability to work well with others. Being fluent in Spanish is very beneficial, but not mandatory for the position. The coordinator will be selected from this final pool by the end of the fall semester. Elected coordinators are required to intern with the current coordinator for an additional semester in order to fully obtain the position. This position coordinates and plans our two biggest Latina/o recruitment programs and works closely with our Carolina Hispanic Association (CHispA) in order to help coordinate two their two biggest cultural events. Our fall event is Latina/o Recruitment Weekend which focuses on the recruitment of viable Latina/o candidates encouraging them to both prioritize higher education, and encourage them to apply to UNC Chapel Hill and is in sync with Carnaval. Dia de Bienvenida is our fall program and focuses on encouraging our accepted Latina/o students to attend UNC Chapel Hill and is in sync with Noche Latina. The cultural events traditionally fall in sync with our Latina/o recruitment programs in order to maximize exposure both for students on campus and individuals in our outside community. This position plans all aspects of the events including—but not limited to—facilities, food, printing of necessary materials, invitations, directions, coordination of volunteers and facilitation of overnight stays. In terms of CHispA’s cultural events, it is not expected for this position to be heavily involved in the planning of those events, this position more so focuses on transitions from the recruitment event to the cultural event and the well-being of the students throughout the events. This position also works with the Carolina Latina/o Collaborative in order to continue to expand our range of volunteers through other on-campus organizations as well as to explore ways to promote other Minority Student Recruitment events on campus.
This position also entails a summer commitment that would include working with the Diversity and Multicultural Affairs in the annual Project Uplift program. In this role, the student serves as Emergency and Security coordinator. This position is in charge of handling any medical related emergency that may arise, focusing mainly on communicating with parents and with the Director of the program and also works on creating a safe environment for the students. This position is also the Friday Night Committee Liaison, which supervises the coordination and transitions between the Culture Show and Apollo.
- MS Outlook Calendar and MS Office with heavy emphasis in Word and Excel
- Ability or willingness to learn mail merges, perform data manipulation, and learn new technology and software as needed.
- Due to the confidential nature of office activities, this is a position of trust.
- Candidates should be well qualified in the following areas:
- detail oriented and have the ability to multitask
- demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and various academic and on-campus organizations
- strong public speaking skills with both students and parents
- strong decision-making skills and the ability to prioritize plan, manage, and coordinate activities and major functions
- attention to detail and time management skills
- ability to work with sensitive information
More Information | Contact Recruitment and Multicultural Programs at (919) 843-6086 or by email.