Council Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty
Fixed-Term Committee Secure Area
2010-11 Meetings Dates
All meetings take place on the same day as Faculty Council, in Stone Center Room 215:
- September 10, 2010, 2:00 pm
- October 8, 2010, 2:00 pm
- November 12, 2010, 2:00 pm
- December 17, 2010, 2:00 pm
- January 14, 2011, 2:00 pm
- February 18, 2011, 2:00 pm
- March 18, 2011, 2:00 pm
- April 15, 2011, 2:00 pm
2009-10 Meeting Dates
Click the link to read meeting notes.
- October 9, 2009, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215
- November 6, 2009, 2:00 p.m. Stone Center 215
- December 11, 2009, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215
- January 29, 2010, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215
- February 19, 2010, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215 (moved from February 26)
- February 26, 2010, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215 (this meeting has been canceled)
- March 15, 2010, 4:00 p.m., Coker 215
- March 19, 2010, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215 (canceled)
- April 23, 2010, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215
2008-09 Meeting Dates
Click the link to read meeting notes.
- September 12, 2008, 2:00 p.m., Stone Center 215
- November 7, 2008: Special Event -- Forum on Fixed-Term Faculty Issues: The Fixed-Term Faculty Committee invites the faculty to join us on Friday, November 7 in the Faculty Commons at the Campus Y to discuss these questions: "What changes or new provisions should appear in policies that apply to fixed-term faculty?" and "What would make being a full-time fixed-term faculty member at Carolina a more attractive career choice?"
Faculty members will have two opportunities that day to share their thoughts:
- 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon: Committee members will be on hand in the Faculty Commons for one-on-one conversations with faculty members. This will provide a chance for discussing issues that may require more confidentiality.
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.: Public forum. Committee members will share information about the committee's work and engage attendees in a wide-ranging discussion of the topics listed above.
- November 7, 2008, 1:30 p.m., Faculty Commons (Committee meeting following forum)
- December 12, 2008, 1:30 p.m., Stone Center 215
- January 16, 2009, 1:30 p.m., Stone Center 215
- February 20, 2009, 1:30 p.m., Stone Center 215
- March 20, 2009, 1:30 p.m., Stone Center 215
- April 24, 2009, 1:30 p.m., Stone Center 215
2007-08 Meeting Dates
(all in Sonja Haynes Stone Center, Room 215, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.)
Click the link below to read the minutes from each meeting.
- September 14, 2007
- October 5, 2007
- November 9, 2007
- December 7, 2007
- February 01, 2008
- March 28, 2008
- April 4, 2008
- April 23, 2010
- April 24, 2009
- April 25, 2008 [html, with links to previous resolutions]
- April 25, 2008 [pdf original]
- April 24, 2006
Faculty Council Resolutions and Discussions Relating to Fixed-Term Faculty
- Resolution 2007-7. On Membership of the Council Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty
- Resolution 2006-6. On Fixed-Term Faculty Members
- Resolution 2005-9. On Establishing the Council Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty
- January 14, 2005 Faculty Council minutes (see discussion of creation of Fixed-Term Faculty Committee)
- Resolution 2003-7. Responding to the Recommendations of the Task Force on Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure.
Other Information Relating to Fixed-Term Faculty at UNC-Chapel Hill and in the UNC System
- March 2010 Report on Faculty Rank Titles Across Campus (generated by the Office of Faculty Governance from the HR Data Warehouse)
- 2/16/10: Dean Karen Gil's letter setting forth guidelines and a template for promotion of faculty from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer (deadline for promotion as of 7/1/10 is March 15)
- 1/27/10: Dean Karen Gil's letter to Provost Bruce Carney with the Fall 2009 Report of the Arts and Sciences Committee to Develop Policies and Procedures for Fixed-Term Faculty (Committee chaired by Bill Andrews)
- 12/9/09: Dean Karen Gil's memo to College department and curriculum chairs and administrative managers regarding appointment and reappointment of fixed-term faculty.
- Statistics on Fixed-Term Faculty at Carolina (from UNC's HR Data Warehouse, November 2008):
- Tenure status of full-time permanent "EPA Faculty" by school or division
- Tenure status of full-time permanent "EPA Faculty" by department
- Tenure status of all full- and part-time permanent "EPA Faculty" (useful for seeing what percentage of the permanent faculty who are not on the tenure track are also part-time)
- Tenure status of all full- and part-time temporary "EPA Faculty" (useful for tracking numbers of temporary faculty who are also not on the tenure track)
- 2008 Fixed-term Faculty Review Committee, College of Arts and Sciences, UNC-CH, Final Report
- From the UNC System Faculty Assembly: UNC Constituent Institution Responses to the Report of the Committee on Non-Tenure Track Faculty, September 2008
Articles and Studies on Issues Related to Fixed-Term Faculty Nationwide
- AAUP's resources page on contingent faculty
- Academe Online (AAUP), November-December 2008 issue devoted to "The New Majority Contingent Faculty Fighting for Equity"
- American Federation of Teachers resources related to "The Academic Staffing Crisis" including
- Coalition on the Academic Workforce, "One Faculty Serving All Students: An Issue Brief," February 2010
- National Education Association has also published many reports and studies on contingent faculty issues
- Article: Nancy Van Note Chism, "Editor's Notes," (introduction to special issue devoted to "Faculty at the Margins"), New Directions in Higher Education 2008, Issue 143 (Autumn (Fall) 2008): 1-7.
- Article: Amanda Suniti Niskodé-Dossett, "Summary and Recommendations" (concluding article in a special issue devoted to "Faculty at the Margins"), New Directions in Higher Education 2008, Issue 143 (Autumn (Fall) 2008): 109-14.
- Book: Roger G. Baldwin and Jay L. Chronister, Teaching without Tenure: Policies and Practices for a New Era (Johns Hopkins U. Press, 2001), available electronically via UNC libraries.
- Book: John G. Cross and Edie N. Goldenberg, Off-Track Profs: Nontenured Teachers in Higher Education (Cambridge: MIT Press, 2009).