Adopted Resolutions of the Faculty Council
(Date of adoption is in parentheses after resolution title. For ease of reference, defeated resolutions are listed here in brackets, with clear notation of the date of their defeat.)
- Resolution 2010-1. On Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Change the Composition of the Administrative Board of the Library. (3/19/2010)
- Resolution 2010-2. On Establishing the Edward Kidder Graham Faculty Service Award. (3/19/2010)
- Resolution 2010-3. On Enhanced Grade Reporting (4/23/2010)
- Resolution 2010-4. On On Excused Absences for Religious Observances
- Resolution 2009-1. On Recognizing the Accomplishments of George Moses Horton (2/20/09)
- Resolution 2009-2. On Revising the Regulations Concerning Withdrawal and Course Drops (4/24/09)
- Resolution 2009-3. On Review of School and Departmental Statements of Criteria for Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure (first reading: 9/4/09; second reading: 11/6/09)
- Resolution 2009-4. Endorsing Educational Policy Committee Efforts to Investigate Grading Policy Reforms (10/9/09)
- [Resolution 2009-5 was withdrawn before consideration, as the situation was resolved.]
- Resolution 2008-1. On a Faculty Sabbatical Program (1/25/08)
- Resolution 2008-2. On Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Provide a Term Limit for the Office of Chair of the Faculty (3/28/08)
- Resolution 2008-3. On Bachelor's Degrees (10/10/08)
- Resolution 2008-4. On Commending the Scholars at Risk Program (10/10/08)
- Resolution 2008-5. On Tuition Computation Methods (12/12/08)
- Resolution 2007-1. Amending the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance (1/19/07)
- Resolution 2007-2. Amending Appendix C of the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance (1/19/07)
- Resolution 2007-3. Implementing Faculty Council Resolution 2006-2 to Revise the Standards for Continued Academic Eligibility for Undergraduate Enrollment (2/16/07)
- Resolution 2007-4. Amending The Faculty Code of University Government as it Relates to The Schools and Colleges; The General College; The College of Arts and Sciences; The Graduate School; The Summer School; Records, Registration, and Undergraduate Admissions; Administrative Board of Student Affairs; and Administrative Board of the Library (3/23/07)
- Resolution 2007-5. Regarding Unsupervised Bonfires on Franklin Street Following Men’s Basketball Victories (2/16/07)
- Resolution 2007-6. Encouraging use of Office of Technology Development’s Resources for the Commercialization of Works (3/23/07)
- Resolution 2007-7. On Membership of the Council Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty (4/22/07)
- Resolution 2007-8. On Ratifying An Amendment to the Charter of the Faculty Assembly of The University of North Carolina (4/27/07)
- [Resolution 2007-9. On Adopting the Achievement Index as the Metric for University-wide Comparative Rankings of Students, was defeated on 4/27/07.]
- Resolution 2007-10. On Proposed Revisions to the Code of the Board of Governors Pertaining to Faculty Employment (9/14/07)
- Resolution 2007-11. On Smoking on Campus (9/14/07)
- Resolution 2007-12. On Proposed Changes in the Code of the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina (10/5/07)
- Resolution 2007-13. On Endorsing the Recommendations of the Priority Registration Task Force (12/7/07)
- Resolution 2006 -1 Amending the Faculty Code of University Government as it Relates to the Membership of the University Committee on Copyright (second reading)
- Resolution 2006 -2 Revising the Standards for Continued Academic Eligibility for Undergraduate Enrollment
- Resolution 2006 -3 Replacing the System of Academic Warning Notification and Academic Review with a System of Academic Probation
- Resolution 2006 -4 Revising the Deadline for Undergraduate Course Schedule Changes in the Fall and Spring Semester
- Resolution 2006 -5 Technical Amendments to Resolution 2006-4
- Resolution 2006 -6 On Fixed-Term Faculty
- Resolution 2006 -7 In Appreciation of Provost Robert Shelton
- Resolution 2006 -8 On a University Steering Committee for Worker Health, Safety, and Wellness
- Resolution 2006 -9 On Appreciation for the Service of Judith Welch Wegner as Chair of the Faculty, 2003-06
- Resolution 2005-1 Amending the Faculty Code of University Government As It Relates to the Duties of the Faculty Grievance Committee (02/11/05)
- Resolution 2005-2 Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Abolish the Committee on Instructional Personnel and to Delete References to It, to Provide for Faculty Review of Tenure and Promotion Recommendations, to Provide for Faculty Consultation With Respect to Appointments and Promotions Conferring Permanent Tenure and Appointments to Full-Time Fixed-Term Faculty Positions, and to Establish a Standing Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty (02/11/05)
- Resolution 2005-3 Amending the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance to Address Fire Safety, Clarify Probation, and Specify Composition of Committee on Student Conduct (01/14/05)
- Resolution 2005-4 Endorsing Proposed Amendment to Appendix C of the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance to Clarify Treatment of Cases Pending at Graduation or in the Summer, and to Provide for an Alternative Process for Addressing Large-Scale Cases (01/14/05)
- Resolution 2005-5 Amending the Class Attendance Policy (02/11/05)
- Resolution 2005-6 Endorsing A Resolution on Academic Freedom Adopted by the Faculty Assembly of The University of North Carolina ( 02/11/05)
- Resolution 2005-7 On Faculty Ownership of Research (03/04/05)
- Resolution 2005-8 On Scholarly Communications (03/04/05)
- Resolution 2005-9 On Creating the Council Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty (04/22/05)
- Resolution 2004-1 Proposing an Amendment to the Trustee Policies and Procedures Governing Academic Tenure to Authorize the Faculty Ranks of Senior Lecturer and Professor of the Practice (01/16/04)
- Resolution 2004-2 Proposing an amendment to the Trustee Policies and Regulations Governing Academic Tenure to Eliminate the Requirement that Tenured Assistant and Associate Professors be Reviewed for Promotion Not Less Frequently than Every Third Year (01/16/04)
- Resolution 2004-3 On the Use of Courtesy Titles by Retired Members of the Faculty (01/16/04)
- Resolution 2004-4 Proposing an Amendment to the Trustee Policies and Procedures Governing Academic Tenure to Increase the Maximum Time for Extending the Probationary Period of Faculty Appointment for up to Twenty-Four Months for Reasons of Child-Birth, Health, or Other Compelling Circumstances (01/16/04)
- Resolution 2004-5 On Tuition and Related Policies (01/16/04)
- Resolution 2004-6 On Intellectual Integrity and Independence (As amended, 03/26/04)
- Resolution 2004-7 Amending The Faculty Code of University Government as it Relates to Various Representatives of the Faculty (03/26/04, and adopted on second reading on 04/23/04)
- Resolution 2004-8 Supporting Participation in the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (03/26/04)
- Resolution 2003-1 Amending The Faculty Code of University Government as it Relates to the Specification of Officers of Arts and Sciences Divisions and Eligibility to Vote for and Hold Such Offices (01/10/03)
- Resolution 2003-2 Amending The Faculty Code of University Government as it Relates to the Responsibilities and Membership of the Advisory Committee on Undergraduate Admissions (01/10/03)
- Resolution 2003-3 Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Establish a Committee on Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (02/07/03)
- Resolution 2003-4 Concerning Gender Equity in Faculty Compensation (02/07/03)
- Resolution 2003-5 On Faculty Responsibilities in Relation to the Honor Code (01/17/03)
- Resolution 2003-6 Comprehensively Amendment the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance (01/17/03)
- Resolution 2003-7 Responding to the Recommendations of the Task Force on Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (03/28/03)
- Resolution 2003-8 Endorsing the Report of the Undergraduate Curriculum Revision Steering Committee (04/25/03)
- Resolution 2003-9 Amending the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance (04/25/03)
- Resolution of Appreciation for Chair of the Faculty Sue Estroff (04/25/03)
- Resolution 2003-10 on Selection of the Voting Delegate to the Atlantic Coast Conference (06/23/03)
- Resolution 2003-11 Amending the Faculty Code of University Government as it Relates to the General Faculty, the Faculty Council, Officers of the Faculty, and Standing Committees ( Final adoption on 01/16/04)
- Resolution 2003-12 in Honor of Faculty Marshal Ron Hyatt (11/14/03)
- Resolutions 2002-1 (as amended) and 2002-2 Amending the Faculty Code (2/22/02)
- Resolution 2002-3 on Faculty Representation on the Board of Trustees (2/22/02)
- Resolution 2002-4 on Unfunded and Underfunded Enrollment Increases (As amended, 3/22/02)
- Resolution 2002-5 on Revision of the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance (4/26/02)
- Resolution 2002-6 on Sustainability Measures in Institutional Policies and Practices (As amended, 9/6/02)
- Resolution 2002-7 on Academic Freedom and the Fair Exchange of Ideas (8/12/02, 9/6/02)
· Resolution 2001-1 in Appreciation of Richard Edwards (2/16/01)
· Resolution 2001-2 on the New Survey for the Student Evaluation of Teaching (4/20/01)
· Resolution 2001-3 on the University Committee on Copyright (9/7/01)
· Resolution 2001-4 on the Academic Calendar (9/7/01)
· Resolution 2001-5 on Grading Standards (as amended) (9/7/01)
· Resolution 2001-6 on Terrorism (as amended) (10/5/01)
· Resolution 2001-7A on Information Technology (12/7/01)
· Resolution 2001-8 on the Qatar Proposal (Special meeting of 11/16/01)
· Resolution 2001-9 on Athletics Programs in the A.C.C. (12/7/01)
- Res. 2000-1 through 2000-4 (4/28/2000) Amendments to the Faculty Code.
- Res. 2000-5 (4/28/2000)On Allowing Faculty in Phased Retirement to Serve on Faculty Committees.
- Res. 2000-6 and 2000-7 (4/28/2000) (Amendments to the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance)
- Res. 2000-8 (4/28/2000) On Grading Standards.
- Res. 2000-9 (4/28/2000) In appreciation of Richard N. Andrews.
- Res. 2000-10 (4/28/2000) In appreciation of Richard J. Richardson.
- Res. 2000-11 (4/28/2000) In appreciation of William O. McCoy.
- Res. 2000-12 (10/20/2000) Concerning Phased Retirement.
- Res. 2000-13 (12/8/2000) On Athletic Event Schedules that Interfere with Regular Instruction.
- Res. 99-01 (03/26/99)On Football Scheduling On Weekdays.
- Res. 99-02 (03/26/99) On the Implications of Distance Learning for Faculty Welfare.
- Res. 99-03 (3/26/99) On Improving Librarian Salaries.
- Res. 99-04 (04/23/99)On Endorsing the Report of the Task Force on Student Evaluation of Teaching.
- Res. 99-05 (04/23/99) On Adequate Funding for Teaching Resources.
- Res. 99-06 (04/23/99) On Responsibility for Established Lectures.
- Res. 99-07 (9/10/99) Thanking Thomas Meyer for his work on behalf of the UNC-CH faculty
- Res. 99-08 (9/10/99) Endorsing the Recommendations Concerning Mediation.
- Res. 99-09 (11/12/99) On Academic Dress
- Res. 99-10 (11/12/99) Expressing the Sense of the Faculty Council on a Contract with Wachovia Bank
- Res. 97-13 (11/13/97) Regarding Procedures for Discharge of Faculty Members
- Res. 98-2. (3/27/98) Restricting Dissemination of the Carolina Course Review.
- Res. 98-3. (3/37/98) Prohibiting Use of the Carolina Course Review as an Instrument of Official Personnel Evaluation at the School or Departmental Level.
- Res. 98-4. (3/27/98) Academic Eligibility for Junior Transfer Students.
- Res. 98-5. (3/27/98) Revising the Final Examination Policy.
- Res. 98-6. (4/24/98) Faculty Statement On Principles of Service, Diversity and Freedom of Inquiry.
- Res. 98-7. (4/24/98) Establishing an Oral Competency Requirement.
- Res. 98-8. (4/24/98) Endorsing the Offering of Courses as a Staff Benefit.
- Res. 98-9. (9/11/98) Authorizing Continued Use of the Carolina Course Review for One Year.
- Res. 98-10. (10/9/98) To Request a Study of Introducing Mediation into the Faculty Conflict Resolution Process.
- Res. 98-11. (10/9/98) Requesting the Committee on University Government to Consider Establishment of a Standing Committee on Copyright and to Report Its Recommendations to the Faculty Council.
- Res. 98-12. (10/9/98) Endorsing Creation of an Office of Scholarly Communication.
- Resolution 98-13. (11/6/98) Endorsing a Proposed Policy Statement Concerning Fair Use Under the Federal Copyright Law.
- Resolution 98-14. (11/6/98) Endorsing the National Humanities Alliance's "Principles for Managing Intellectual Property in the Digital Environment."
- Resolution 98-15. (11/6/98) Endorsing a Copyright Use Policy for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Resolution 98-16. (11/6/98) Endorsing a Proposed University Policy on Multi-Institutional Initiatives on Copyright Ownership.
- Resolution 98-17. (12/11/98) Endorsing Faculty Involvement in Student Recruitment.
- Resolution 98-18. (12/11/98) Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Establish the University Committee on Copyright.
- Resolution 98-19. (12/11/98) Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Establish the Faculty Information Technology Advisory Committee.
- Resolution 98-20. (12/11/98) Amending the Faculty Code of University Government Concerning Nominations, Elections, and Filling Vacancies.
- Resolution 98-21. (12/11/98) Amending the Faculty Code of University Government to Establish the Division of the School of Information and Library Science for Purposes of Faculty Council Elections.
- Resolution 98-22. (12/11/98) Repealing Rule 14 of the Rules of Procedure of the Faculty Council.
- Resolution 98-23. (12/11/98) Endorsing Participation by Staff and Students in Their Governance Institutions