Accounting Services Section (ACT)
Effective Date: 01/01/1999
Last Modified Date: 06/21/1999
A special report is one which is custom designed for some specific purpose. The preparation of special reports from FRS is greatly enhanced due to the following:
- the availability of integrated
- data files within the data base
- the consistent definition and collection of data
- the timeliness of the data
- the availability of more data
- the classification of the data by attributes and object codes
It is anticipated that as FRS matures, emphasis will be placed on querying the database to produce special reports rather than on manually accumulating and summarizing information.
Method for Preparation
Several methods are available for special report preparation:
- Focus can be used to produce lists and simple matrices
- The FBM070 Report Writer program is available. FBM070 is a matrix report generator that has been used for formatting several standard reports
- The FLM080/82 Report Writer programs are available to produce Change in Fund Balance and Revenue and Expenditure Reports for selected accounts
Campus units are encouraged to become proficient in any or all of the three methods listed above so they may define, and program, their own special reports under accounting supervision.
One of the most significant features of FRS is that its reporting is independent of its input processing and data storage. Special reports can manipulate data in any manner without affecting the system's integrity.
Roll-up reporting is a method to summarize and select data to provide meaningful information to managers at all levels. Any part of or all of an organization can be used for reporting, and the information can be summarized by program structure, responsibility structure, fund source, and object code ranges.
For additional information or assistance in structuring a report for your needs, contact the Director of Accounting Services at 962-0036.
Return to Accounting Services Section Contents
Return to Business Manual Table of Contents