Material & Disbursement Services (MSD)
Effective Date: 03/01/1998
Last Modified Date: 02/12/2004
Request for Evaluation
Departments may wish to evaluate or otherwise use equipment without incurring an obligation to purchase it. (This type of request is more frequent in those departments in which students may be using the equipment or in research situations that require calibration to very close tolerances.) The department may request a demonstration model to evaluate at no obligation to the University. The University may accept this equipment to be placed in the requesting department for a specified period of time. Such requests by departments must be made before placement of the equipment and must conform to the agreement guidelines and conditions of this policy statement.
Outside, or non-UNC owned, equipment may also be accepted when specified as part of the terms and conditions of a maintenance order or other purchase order issued by the University.
When a vendor offers equipment for evaluation and the department is willing to have the equipment installed for evaluation purposes, the department should work out the agreement using the following basic guidelines:
- Equipment must be adequately identified and described, giving model and serial numbers.
- All freight charges are to be paid by the vendor.
- Insurance, if any, is the responsibility of the vendor. The University assumes no liability for the equipment. The University may agree to exercise normal operational care and to avoid abuse of the equipment.
- At the end of the evaluation period, the department will be responsible for crating (with crating material to be furnished by the vendor) and shipping collect by a carrier of the vendor's choice. The Central Receiving Service can provide help with this task. Alternatively the vendor may choose to have its representative pack and ship the equipment.
- The evaluation of equipment for a vendor does not give the vendor the permission to use the name of the University in any advertisements.
Agreement in Writing
After a written agreement on the above five points has been reached between the department and the vendor, the University department must submit a Purchase Requisition with the written agreement attached. Purchasing Services will review and process a "no charge" Purchase Order to the vendor along with terms and conditions.
No Obligations to Purchase
The demonstration of equipment to a department or to an individual in no way obligates the University to purchase or lease the equipment or service. Any purchase requests issued as a result of demonstrations will be handled in accordance with the normal purchasing regulations of the University and the State.
MSD Policy 18, Solicitation by Sales Representatives
MSD Policy 19, Product and Service Demonstrations by Vendors
MSD Policy 56, Zero-Dollar Purchase Orders
Return to Material & Disbursement Services Section Contents
Return to Business Manual Table of Contents