Material & Disbursement Services (MSD)
Effective Date: 07/01/2001
Last Modified Date: 02/12/2004
Service contracts are recommended for highly technical equipment, especially scientific apparatus. To obtain service covered by a service contract, call the manufacturer or service agent.
Service for equipment not under a service contract must be requested on a Purchase Requisition. If equipment needs emergency service, telephone Purchasing Services for approval to immediately call for service, then subsequently submit a confirming Purchase Requisition.
Requests for repair of out-of-warranty equipment that must be returned to the manufacturer or supplier for service are made on a Purchase Requisition. Purchasing creates a Purchase Order authorizing the repair and sends paperwork to Central Receiving requesting the return. Central Receiving will pick up and ship the item, charging the shipping expense to the requesting department. Incoming freight on the required item is either prepaid and added to the service bill, or charged collect, with Central Receiving Service paying the collect charges and billing the requesting department.
Equipment Covered by a Service Contract
If the equipment needing service is covered by a maintenance or service contract, call the manufacturer or service agent for service.
Equipment Not Covered by a Service Contract
To request non-emergency service, fill out a Purchase Requisition. Follow the instructions printed on the back of the Purchase Requisition, providing the following information in the numbered blocks:
- Block 2: If grant or contract funds are used, give expiration date
- Block 3: Requesting department's name and number
- Block 4: Name and telephone number of the person to be contacted for further information
- Block 5: Date by which material is needed
- Block 8: Name of vendor and correct shipping address
- Block 9: Name of the person who should receive the department's file copy of this form, as well as the requesting department's name and address
- Block 10: Department name, building, and room number for delivery
- Block 15: Describe the service needed or the problem with the equipment. Note if the equipment must be sent in for service.
- Blocks 16 & 17: Estimated cost of repair
- Block 18: Return Material Authorization (RMA) number, contact name for pickup of goods if required, and (for insurance purposes) the value of the items being returned
Submit the completed Purchase Requisition to Purchasing for approval and processing:
- If the item must be shipped for repair, Purchasing will send paperwork to Central Receiving, authorizing them to pick up the item and make the shipment.
- Outgoing shipping expenses are charged to the requesting department. Return charges on repaired equipment are either prepaid and billed with the service, or charged collect, with Central Receiving paying the collect charges and billing the requesting department.
Call Purchasing, which can, on occasion, assign a Purchase Order number to a service request and authorize the requesting department to contact the service agency before processing a Purchase Requisition. You must then prepare a confirming Purchase Requisition for the service, including the information noted above for a non-emergency request.
See also MSD Policy 54, Repair of Out-of-Warranty Equipment.
Return to Material & Disbursement Services Section Contents
Return to Business Manual Table of Contents