Each hour of the day the Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower rings to remind students and faculty of the generosity of two families associated with the University since its earliest days.
John Motley Morehead, Class of 1891, first presented a proposal for a bell tower to University President Harry Woodburn Chase in the early 1920s. During the post-war building boom the University remodeled South Building, one of the school’s oldest structures. Morehead offered to pay for a bell tower to be placed on top of the old building. The administration declined his offer, seeking to keep the historical integrity of the building.