210 Pittsboro Street, Campus Box 6210
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-6210
(919) 962-2091 FAX: (919) 962-2279
|Not for publication||
Nov. 8, 2000 -- No. 598
Representatives of first six nursing classes to return to take in exhibit, relive memories
9 a.m. Saturday (Nov. 11)
Health Sciences Libraryís rare books room, Columbia Street across from Rosenau Hall
An estimated 24 members of the first six University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Nursing classes (1955-1960) will attend a reception in their honor and walk through an exhibit that displays memorabilia from the early years of nursing education at Carolina.
Items on display at the exhibit will include a uniform, hat and cape worn by the nursing students, photographs, textbooks, a recording of nursing students singing the Carolina song "Hark the Sound," former rules and regulations for nursing students and written reminiscences from the first six classes.
The reception and exhibit walk-through are part of the schoolís celebration of its 50th anniversary. Other events include a 6 p.m. Nov. 9 free public lecture by internationally renowned nurse midwife Dr. Ruth Watson Lubic; a Nov. 10 invitation-only black-tie gala; and a Nov. 11, 1950s-themed lunch on the lawn of Carrington Hall (home of the school).
The UNC-CH School of Nursing, established in 1950, was the first four-year baccalaureate nursing degree program in North Carolina, the first to offer a masterís degree program (1955), the first to initiate continuing education for nurses (1964) and the first and only school in North Carolina to offer a Ph.D. in nursing (1989). For more information, click to www.unc.edu/depts/nursing.
School of Nursing contact: Lisa Mincey Ware, (919) 966-1412