210 Pittsboro Street, Campus Box 6210
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-6210
(919) 962-2091 FAX: (919) 962-2279
|Not for publication||Sept. 11, 1998|
UNC-CH law professor expert in impeachment proceedings; available to discuss next steps to Ken Starrs report to Congress
Dr. Buckner F. "Buck" Melton Jr. is a clinical assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law. His research area of expertise is judicial and presidential impeachment; he also is knowledgeable in the subjects of separation of powers and constitutional issues of national security. Specifically:
- only four scholarly books about impeachment have been written in the past 10 years and Melton wrote the most recent one;
- he has attended impeachments in the past, and advised the U.S. Senate's Office of Legal Counsel in a recent impeachment;
- he serves as the UNC-CH law schools information technology director and can discuss the importance of the Internet in these proceedings;
- besides earning a law degree from UNC-CH, he holds a doctorate in Constitutional history from Duke University;
- he has consulted with several members of Congress, on both sides of the aisle, on the subject in the past few months and conferred with members of the House Judiciary Committee, including U.S. Rep Henry Hyde, R-Ill., chair, and Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga., about the definition of impeachable offenses.
- he has appeared on C-SPAN2 and CNBC.
Melton can be reached at 919-962-4119 (work), 336-229-7109 (home) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
News Services broadcast contact: Karen Moon, 919-962-8595
News Services print contact: Karen Stinneford, 919-962-8415