- To comprehensively conduct an effective project for recruiting, mentoring, and graduating underrepresented minority students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) doctoral programs, and to carry out strategies to identify and support underrepresented minority individuals who wish to pursue academic careers.
- To successfully collaborate with educational programs at all levels, both programmatically and intellectually with students, parents and faculty members.
- Increase the number of underrepresented minority students receiving doctorates in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and those entering the professoriate.
- Facilitate change in the culture of our institutions and to ensure a continued norm of inclusiveness and movement towards the above goals well after the end of the Alliances for Graduate Education and Professoriate (AGEP) support.
- Three AGEP institutions and their partner programs will operate individually and cooperatively to achieve these goals.
- Collaborate with North Carolina Math Science Education Network (NC-MSEN) Pre-College Program (Grades 6-12) to provide underrepresented minority middle and high school students with opportunities to continue their education to the next level and to learn about the benefits of pursing a doctorate.
- Collaborate with North Carolina Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (NC-LSAMP) Bridge to the Doctorate and Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) projects to provide opportunities for students in NC-MSEN and to ensure that NC-MSEN students are fully aware of research and academic opportunities at the participating universities.
- Recruit and prepare undergraduates to pursue master of science and doctoral degrees.
- Assist students in the transition from a bachelor of science to a master of science program and from a master of science to a doctoral program.
- Provide high-quality research experiences for NC-LSAMP and HBCU-UP students during the summers at UNC-CH, NCSU and NC A&T.
- Retain graduate students for completion of the doctorate.
- Prepare future faculty for success.