Marshall Scholarship Program
British Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans
of outstanding ability to study for a degree in the United
Kingdom. At least 40 Marshall Scholarships will be awarded in 2009 and cover two years of study in any discipline at graduate level.
The Marshall Scholarship maintains an extensive website.
2009 Marshall Scholarship Competition
The application for the 2009 Marshall Scholarship will be available from May 2008.
To qualify for 2009 awards, candidates should:
- Be citizens of the United States of America (at the time
they apply for a scholarship).
- Hold a first
degree from an accredited four-year college or university
in the United States by the time they take up their scholarship.
- Have obtained a grade point average
of not less than 3.7 on their undergraduate degree.
- Have graduated from their undergraduate college or university
after April 2006.
- Receive the Marshall Scholarship nomination from UNC.
UNC students have the opportunity to gain the University's
nomination for the Marshall Scholarship through the application process outlined below.
Each candidate must submit his/her application using the online forms provided on the Marshall Scholarship Website. UNC applicants must be nominated by the UNC nominating committee to be eligible for consideration by the Marshall Scholarship Commission. In order to become one of UNC's nominees, please follow the application process outlined below.
- Attend a Marshall Scholarship workshop (Hosted by the UNC Office of Distinguished Scholarships (ODS)). If you are unable to attend a workshop, email the ODS to schedule an appointment to discuss the scholarship.
- Personal Statement and list of principal activities due to ODS by April 18, 2008.
- Preliminary Application (All items due by September 3, 2008 by 12:00 p.m.)
- Submit the online application available on the Marshall Website. These applications are sent to the UNC ODS.
- Ensure three* letters of recommendation are submitted online by your references. The ODS recommends supplying your references with this letter.
- Deliver 6 copies of all additional application materials to the UNC ODS (address at bottom of this page). This includes the following items:
- One original transcript and five copies for each college or University attended (Internal UNC transcripts can be ordered through the Registrar at no cost).
- UNC Interviews (Mid September) : Based on your preliminary application, students will be invited to interview with the UNC Marshall Committee. Students unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact the ODS one month in advance to discuss other available options.
- Revise Applications: Those students nominated by the UNC committee (this number varies based on the regions from where applicants can apply) will have two weeks to revise all parts of their application with assistance from the ODS.
- Final Submission (Deadline: First week of October, 2008): The regional application will be submitted online with the assistance of the ODS. Hard copy materials will be sent to the regional Marshall committee by the ODS.
- Regional Interviews: Students invited by the Marshall committee will interview in mid-November.
* Nominees will be asked to supply a fourth letter of recommendation for their final application.
Additional Information on the Web:
The Office of Distinguished Scholarships is located in 225 Graham Memorial. Applications can be submitted via mail to the following address:
- Office of Distinguished Scholarships
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 225 Graham Memorial, CB#3510
- Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3510
For further information about the application
process or to schedule an appointment with Dr. George Lensing, Director of the Office of Distinguished Scholarships, please email or call 919-843-7757.