Students Noam Soker and Jacob Plitman have fun at the Hillel Chanukah party.
At Hillel's World Series of Dreidel, Tal Havivi, right, urges on his dreidel as it spins and Andy Rosen, left, reaches for his dreidel as it spins off the table.
The Thomas Wolfe bust in the Morehead-Cain Scholars office gets brought into the fun of the scholars' annual holiday crafting party.
The men's basketball team shopped for area families. Managers Teon Watson and Davis Fisher and player Kendall Marshall, right, check out with their load of goodies. See more photos at http://www.tarheelblue.com/view.galid=108259. Photo by Carolyn Van Houten.
The Carolina Inn's decorations are a feast for the eyes.
Runners and walkers begin the annual Jingle Bell Jog through campus. Participants brought a canned food for the Glenwood Elementary Family Assistance Program or made a donation to the Orange County Animal Shelter.
India Alston, right, watches as UNC student volunteer Maeva Djoumessi helps make a paper reindeer decoration at the Communiversity after-school program at UNC-Chapel Hill's Stone Center.
Snowflakes dance in the Carolina Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker.
Thomas Stumpf reads from the Grinch at the Bulls Head Bookstore's annual reading of the Dr. Seuss classic in English and Latin.
George Morgan warms up the crowd with the singing of "Deck the Halls" in Latin at the reading of the Grinch at the Bulls Head Bookstore at UNC-Chapel Hill. At right is Thomas Stumpf who read the English version of the holiday classic.
Stephany Murphy, left, and Claire Archer work on gingerbread houses as part of a holiday "stress relief" before the semester ends at Carolina.
A group of students decorate gingerbread houses (graham crackers, really) at the Carolina Union.
Making spirits bright at Carolina
From the World Series of Dreidel to inviting school children for hands-on holiday crafts, Carolina celebrates the season with fun, service and reflection.
Get a taste of Carolina’s holidays by scrolling through the photos here and watching the videos below.
In the spirit of giving, many departments collected gifts and food for area families in need. Staff, students and faculty across campus donated books to benefit the Book Fairy, an organization that donates children’s books to the Pediatric Oncology Clinic at UNC Hospitals. Varsity athletic teams shopped for area families.
Events covered all corners of campus, including:
- Winter Stories for Children of All Ages, complete with cookies and hot chocolate.
- The Jingle Bell jog in which employees and students ran or walked through campus, while donating to two worthy causes.
- A concert by the North Carolina Jazz Repertory Orchestra with scores of holiday tunes (see below).
- The General Alumni Association’s annual a cappella concert, featuring student groups such as the Clef Hangers (shown below), Sabbala from Hillel, Tar Heel Voices and the Tarpeggios.
- The Morehead Planetarium’s new concert series under the “stars” with a 17-piece jazz orchestra, bluegrass musicians, a handbell choir and a children’s rock band.
- A special production of the Carolina Ballet’s Nutcracker with Las Vegas-style magic.
Happy holidays, Heels!
The Clefs sing at the General Alumni Association’s concert.
The North Carolina Jazz Repertory Orchestra performs Jingle Bells.