UNC-Chapel Hill Regulations and Policies

Alcoholic Beverages
Code of the University of North Carolina
Commercial Activities
Emergency Disciplinary Action
Housing and Residential Education
Transportation and Parking

The personal conduct of the University student is subject to the moral and legal restraints found in any law-abiding community. Additionally, the Honor Code is a positive force for good citizenship. University regulations are not specifications for acceptable conduct or detailed lists of offenses subject to penal action. They are intended to provide information about systematic procedures and equitable decisions in many situations involving individual students and officers of the University.

Alcoholic Beverages

Possession and use of alcoholic beverages is substantially regulated by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Within this legal framework, the University's Policy on Student Possession and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages in Facilities of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill sets out the conditions under which alcoholic beverages may be used on University property.

According to North Carolina law

According to Chapel Hill ordinance, it is against the law for anyone to possess any open container of alcohol on streets, sidewalks, alleys, or any other property owned or controlled by the Town of Chapel Hill.

In addition to following the law, the University's Policy on Student Possession and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages in Facilities of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill sets out special rules about alcohol for students and student organizations. The Office of the Dean of Students will provide copies of the policy and assistance in understanding its full implications. The text of the policy can be accessed on the Web at www.unc.edu/campus/policies/studentalcohol.html.

Under the policy

Students who violate the policy face mandatory alcohol education, housing sanctions (for violations arising in University housing), and sanctions, including written reprimand, restitution, counseling/referral, and/or educational or community service activities. Student groups who violate the policy face sanctions of written reprimand, restitution, mandatory educational programs or community service, and/or loss of University recognition. Behavior that violates the Code of Student Conduct, state, or federal laws may also be referred to the Office of Student Conduct, the Emergency Evaluation and Action Committee, and/or state and federal authorities.

Code of the University of North Carolina (1975)

Section 502D(3)–Subject to any policies or regulations of the Board of Governors or of the Board of Trustees, it shall be the duty of the chancellor to exercise full authority in the regulation of student affairs and student conduct and discipline. In the discharge of this duty, delegation of such authority may be made by the chancellor to faculty committees and to administrative or other officers of the institution, or to agencies of student government, in such manner and to such extent as may by the chancellor be deemed necessary and expedient. In the discharge of the chancellor's duty with respect to matters of student discipline, it shall be the duty of the chancellor to secure to every student the right to due process. Appeals from these disciplinary decisions are allowable only on the following grounds: 1) a violation of due process, or 2) a material deviation from Substantive and Procedural Standards adopted by the Board of Governors.

Where the sanction is suspension or expulsion, an appeal may be made to the Board of Trustees. No appeal to the president is permitted. When the sanction is expulsion, the final campus decision is appealable to the Board of Governors.

Commercial Activities

Selling or soliciting by any person (private citizen, employee, or student), firm, or corporation on the campus of the University is prohibited except as provided for in the Policy on Use of University Facilities for Noncommercial and Commercial Purposes. The policy can be accessed online at www.unc.edu/campus/policies/facility_use.html.

Emergency Disciplinary Action

Occasionally, emergency situations arise in connection with an applicant's and/or current student's behavior. These incidents may require a faster response than the University's student judicial system can provide. To address these situations and to support the University's obligation to provide a safe campus, the chancellor established the Emergency Evaluation and Action Committee. The emergency action taken varies based on the nature and severity of the allegations and can include, but is not limited to, denial of admission and/or separation from the University.

Students whose cases may require action by the committee fall into five categories:

Additional information on the committee and its procedures is available from Student Affairs through the Office of the Dean of Students. The text of the committee's policy and procedures is on the Web at policy.sites.unc.edu/files/2013/04/EEAC.pdf.

Housing and Residential Education

For policies and procedures related to living on campus, visit the Housing and Residential Education Web site at housing.unc.edu/current-residents/housing-contract/community-living-standards.html

Transportation and Parking


Every student at UNC–Chapel Hill who parks an automobile during the week in University parking areas is required by UNC Transportation and Parking to obtain and display a parking permit. Parking permit holders must park only in specific zones as indicated on their parking permits. Please note the signs at the entrances to each lot which detail the hours of enforcement for that parking area.

Motor vehicle parking permits may be applied for during online registration procedures at UNC Transportation and Parking offices in the Public Safety Building. Vehicles found parked illegally may be cited by Transportation and Parking's Parking Control Division, and subsequent violations may result in further citations, immobilization ("booting"), or towing of the vehicle. Citations may be appealed through UNC Transportation and Parking's Appeals Office within 10 calendar days upon receipt of the citation. Citations can be appealed in person during office hours Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., online at move.unc.edu, or by regular mail.

The Parking Control Division operates MAP, the cost-free Motorist Assistance Program. If a vehicle requires a jump start or if the keys are locked inside the vehicle, motorists may call for assistance at (919) 962-8006 (weekdays 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.). During all other times (and on University holidays), the UNC Police Department should be contacted for motorist assistance at (919) 962-8100.

The Commuter Alternative Program

The Commuter Alternative Program (CAP, online at move.unc.edu/CAP) is an initiative with the goal of reducing campus traffic congestion and parking demand through the promotion and management of viable alternatives to single-occupancy vehicle use at UNC–Chapel Hill. It is designed to reward campus community members for the use of bicycling, walking, transit, and ridesharing. CAP is only available to off-campus students who do not have a parking permit. CAP has a listserv, giveaways, prizes, discounts from local merchants, and daily benefits in relation to alternative transportation programs. For more information or to request a brochure, call UNC Transportation and Parking at (919) 962-3951 or visit the Web site at dps.unc.edu/CAP.

Alternatives to Parking

GoTriangle.org provides excellent information on student transportation alternatives. GoTriangle is designed to give students all the information needed to ride the bus, ride with friends, or bike to great destinations throughout the Triangle. The site includes a Transit Trip Planner to popular destinations; schedules for Triangle Transit, Durham Area Transit Authority (DATA), Capital Area Transit (CAT), and Chapel Hill Transit; information about Triangle Transit's express bus to Raleigh; bike safety information and city bike maps; information on student carpool options; and a calculator tool that calculates how much an individual can save by using alternative transportation.

Local and Regional Transit

The University, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro work together to provide the fare-free Chapel Hill Transit system. No exchange of money, coupons, or display of a bus pass is needed when boarding a Chapel Hill Transit bus. Campus U route and RU (Reverse U) shuttles run in continuous loops from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., serving nearly every area on campus.

Commuting students can use any of the town park and ride lots, or they can join the Commuter Alternative Program and gain access to additional lots. All park and ride lots require a permit, which may be purchased at move.unc.edu/cap/park-ride. Chapel Hill Transit provides free and quick service to and from campus to the lots. Student CAP participants receive one one-day pass per semester allowing free parking in park and ride lots or in S11 zoned lots on south campus. In addition, in the case of an emergency, UNC–Chapel Hill's Emergency Ride Back service is available to provide transportation to the park-and-ride lots or any location within Carrboro or Chapel Hill municipal boundaries. Visit move.unc.edu/p2p for more information.

Regional transit to and from RDU, Raleigh, Durham, and other nearby cities is available through Triangle Transit. Included in the full complement of regional service is express service from Raleigh to UNC–Chapel Hill and from Hillsborough to UNC–Chapel Hill. Triangle Transit also provides free park and ride lots around the area. For more route information, call Triangle Transit at (919) 485-RIDE or visit triangletransit.org.


Point-to-Point (P2P, online at move.unc.edu/p2p) transportation offers fare-free, fixed-route service aboard the P2P Express minibuses, operating on a continuous loop around campus during evening hours, 7:00 p.m. until 3:00 a.m., seven nights a week when residence halls are open during fall and spring academic semesters. Students must show their UNC OneCard to board the P2P Express. After dark, a demand-response van can be accessed by students in areas that are not served by the P2P Express route.

P2P also offers fare-free, demand-response transportation service to disabled students and students going to or from Campus Health Services 24 hours a day.

Safe Ride

A student-run program called "Safe Ride" aims to provide increased mobility between 11:15 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. on weekend evenings. Although it shares part of the name, this is a different program from the P2P Library Safe Ride Shuttle. There are three Safe Ride bus routes operating on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. They provide service between campus and many private student housing developments, as well as other off-campus destinations after Chapel Hill Transit service ends for the evening. For more information, phone Chapel Hill Transit at (919) 969-4900, or visit chtransit.org.

UNC Bicycle Registration

The Department of Public Safety requires bicycle registration for bicycles stored or traveling on campus. The program serves as a deterrent to crime, aids in the identification of lost or stolen bicycles, and enables the department to plan for improved bicycle parking facilities around campus in the future. All students who register their bikes will receive a 50-percent-off coupon for a u-lock from UNC Student Stores. Forms for the free bicycle registration are available at dps.unc.edu/services/bicycle-registration or the Department of Public Safety. Cyclists who live more than two miles from the Bell Tower may join the Commuter Alternative Program.

Zimride Rideshare Matching

Zimride is an easy way to share the seats in your car or catch a ride. The UNC–Chapel Hill private Zimride community allows you to find friends, classmates, and coworkers going the same way you are. Zimride helps you offer or request rides for commutes, road trips, and popular events. If you have a car, split costs by offering rides. If you don't have a car, find rides where you need to go. For more information, visit zimride.unc.edu.


In 2004 UNC–Chapel Hill introduced Zipcar, the world's largest provider of cars on demand by the hour or day. Since then, students, faculty members, and staff from UNC–Chapel Hill have been taking advantage of this car-sharing program by self-reserving Zipcars on campus, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, though online and mobile devices.

Students can join Zipcar for $35 a year ($10 off for the first year) and will gain access to UNC–Chapel Hill's Zipcars starting at $7.50/hour and $69/day. Gas, insurance, and 180 miles per day are included, along with reserved parking spots and 24-hour roadside assistance. New subscribers will receive $35 in free driving to use during the first month. Full details are available at www.zipcar.com/unc.

For More Information

Visit UNC Transportation and Parking during regular business hours (weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) in the Public Safety Building via Hardin Drive (just off Manning Drive) on south campus. For more information on parking and transportation at UNC–Chapel Hill, log onto UNC Transportation and Parking's Web site at move.unc.edu. You may also "like" the department on Facebook (UNC Transportation and Parking) or choose to follow us on Twitter (@MoveUNC). Concerns may be addressed at the following campus telephone numbers:

Students with temporary physical handicaps or other hardships requiring special consideration should contact Accessibility Resources & Service for complete information on transportation options. Visit accessibility.unc.edu for more information.