Undergraduate Admissions

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions serves students interested in continuing their education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Applications from all students are accepted and considered. Eighty-two percent of the first-year class will be from North Carolina, with 18 percent coming from outside the state.

Admission Requirements

Admission to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is competitive. Although all 16 public universities in North Carolina share the same minimum course and admission requirements, which are published at www.northcarolina.edu, these minimum credentials do not guarantee admission to UNC–Chapel Hill, and successful candidates typically exceed them.

In evaluating candidates for admission, the University seeks an entering class whose collective strengths will foster excellence within the University community; enhance the education of everyone within it; provide for the leadership of the educational, governmental, scientific, business, humanistic, artistic, and professional institution of the state, nation, and world; and enrich the lives of all the people of North Carolina.

The University evaluates individual candidates rigorously, holistically, and sympathetically. The admissions committee seeks to assess the ways in which each candidate will likely contribute to the campus community and enable the University to fulfill its mission. The qualities we seek include intellect, talent, curiosity, and creativity; leadership, kindness, and courage; honesty, perseverance, perspective, and diversity. Although we expect each successful candidate to demonstrate strength in many of these areas, we do not expect every candidate to be equally strong in all of them. Just as there is no formula for admission, there is no list of qualities or characteristics that every applicant must present.

In evaluating each candidate's academic record, the admissions committee considers not only the student's grades but also the difficulty of the courses attempted. Although each candidate's academic record and standardized test scores are important elements in the admissions decision, the candidate's essays, accomplishments outside the classroom, and personal qualities are also carefully considered.

By their anticipated date of enrollment, candidates for admission must have graduated from secondary school. In addition, the University asks that candidates present evidence of the capacity to cope with the demands of University life.

Items Necessary for a Complete Application

First-Year Admission

Students may apply for admission by following the instructions at www.admissions.unc.edu. In addition to the completed application, which includes the nonrefundable application fee (or fee-waiver request) and required essays, students are expected to submit the following materials:

In addition to the required information indicated above, applicants may submit information that will enhance the University's understanding of the student's background and preparation for college. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions, in its discretion, may deny admission to students who submit completed applications but who do not provide one or more of the materials listed above.

Transfer Admission

A student is considered a transfer applicant if he/she has attended another postsecondary institution after graduating from high school. Such students may apply for transfer admission by following the instructions at www.admissions.unc.edu. In addition to the completed application, which includes the nonrefundable application fee (or fee-waiver request) and required essays, students are expected to submit the following materials:

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions, in its discretion, may deny admission to students who submit completed applications but who do not provide one or more of the additional materials listed above.

Standardized Testing

In accordance with University policy, as well as procedures approved by the Advisory Committee on Undergraduate Admissions, the admissions committee evaluates each candidate rigorously, holistically, and sympathetically, with an eye towards assessing the candidate's capacity to contribute to the kind of campus community that will enable the University to fulfill its mission. Although each evaluation includes the results of standardized testing, these results do not constitute the sole or main criterion for admission. There are no cutoff or threshold scores, no scores below which candidates are automatically denied admission, and no scores above which they are automatically offered admission. Instead, results from standardized testing represent one factor among many. For more about the role of tests in admissions, please see www.admissions.unc.edu.

Fall/Winter Grades for Transfer Applicants

The fall and winter grades should be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as soon as they become available. An application will be considered incomplete without them.

High School Course Requirements

Students interested in attending the University should pursue a challenging high school curriculum. Such a curriculum will typically include at least five academic courses during each year of high school–preferably one each in the core disciplines of English, mathematics, social science, natural science, and foreign language. We also encourage our candidates to take at least five of the most rigorous courses available to them, including college-level courses offered through Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or dual-enrollment programs. In evaluating academic performance in such a curriculum, we pay less attention to class rank and grade point average than we do to grades and to trends and patterns in grades.

To be considered for first-year admission, all applicants should meet the minimum high school (including the ninth grade) course requirements of the University of North Carolina system. These requirements are listed in the UNC Policy Manual (Chapter 700.1.1.1[R]).

Candidates who do not fulfill these course requirements may still apply for admission and be considered for an exception, although such exceptions are made rarely. Because admission to the University is competitive, candidates should normally enroll in courses beyond these minimum requirements.

Since admitted students will take placement exams in foreign language, candidates should continue in advanced foreign language courses during their final year in high school even if they have already met the minimum requirements.

Placement in courses during students' first semester at the University will be based on their performance on placement tests. Students may also receive credit for University courses based on dual-enrollment courses taken during high school. Although the student will take placement exams in some subjects at the University before the first semester begins, it is to the student's advantage to take placement tests in high school, especially those accepted by the University for placement purposes. For mathematics placement, the Department of Mathematics strongly recommends that enrolling students arrange to take the Mathematics 2 SAT Subject Test; although this test is not required for admission, many majors at Carolina require a quantitative reasoning course for which a mathematics placement score is necessary. Foreign language placement may be based on University placement exams, SAT Subject Tests, or College Board Advanced Placement tests. For English placement, students are required to take either English 105 at the University, or present an equivalent transferable course from another college or university. Students also are encouraged to take standardized tests that are recognized for placement in other subject areas.

Dual Enrollment for High School Students

All courses attempted at UNC–Chapel Hill, including but not limited to summer session courses and dual-enrollment courses attempted while a student is still in secondary school, will be included in the UNC grade point average.

College Board Placement Tests

The University recognizes, for placement and degree credit, satisfactory scores on the College Board Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and certain SAT Subject Tests. For more information, please visit www.admissions.unc.edu.

Information about College Board tests and applications for specific tests may be obtained by visiting www.collegeboard.com; by writing the Educational Testing Service (Rosedale Road, Princeton, NJ 08541) or by contacting a high school counselor. Applicants should apply to take a test six to eight weeks in advance of the actual test date.

Transfer Candidates

The requirements for transfer applicants are listed in the UNC Policy Manual (Chapter 700.1.1.2[R]).Transfer applicants deficient in any of the minimum course or admission requirements will be eligible for transfer consideration only if one of the following two conditions is met:

A. The applicant has earned at least 24 transferrable undergraduate credits from one or more regionally accredited, postsecondary institutions. Undergraduate credits awarded for AP, IB, or other credit by exam shall not be included as part of these 24 hours. OR

B. The applicant is at least 21 years old.

To be considered for transfer admission, students must present at least a C average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in all courses attempted at other accredited colleges and universities. However, a much higher average is required to be competitive.

Except as otherwise noted, transfer students must satisfy the minimum course requirements of the University of North Carolina system, even if these requirements differ from the minimum requirements of their previous institutions.

Students also must be eligible to return to all institutions previously attended. Students who have less than a C average and who are, therefore, academically ineligible for consideration as transfer students may complete courses at another university in order to raise their grade point average to the point where they may be considered for transfer admission to the University. Coursework attempted through any academic program at UNC–Chapel Hill cannot be used to increase a student's grade point average for the purpose of establishing transfer eligibility.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions evaluates candidates comprehensively and holistically based on both their high school and college records. We value strong performance in a challenging curriculum, including courses in English, mathematics, laboratory science, social science, and foreign language. All established academic records, as well as personal qualities and accomplishments, will be considered in the selection of the transfer class.

Once an applicant is admitted as a transfer student, all course credits taken at UNC–Chapel Hill become part of the student's official transcript, and grades received are included in the grade point average.

A transfer student' class standing upon admission is based on credit hours accepted by UNC–Chapel Hill for transfer, not on the number of semesters enrolled at other colleges. Because students are allowed only eight undergraduate semesters to complete their degrees at the University, the number of semesters that a student completes before enrolling at Carolina determines the number of semesters available after enrolling. Because at least 15 credit hours are required to complete a semester, a student's class standing upon enrollment at UNC–Chapel Hill may differ from his or her class standing at the college or university previously attended. Students must earn at least 45 academic credit hours at UNC–Chapel Hill to earn a UNC–Chapel Hill degree.

A new transfer student with fewer than 30 hours of transfer credit accepted by UNC–Chapel Hill will have class standing as a first-year student upon admission to the University.

To enroll with sophomore class standing, a new transfer student must have at least 30 (and fewer than 59) credit hours accepted for transfer by UNC–Chapel Hill. Summer enrollment and AP/IB Subject Test credit immediately prior to the first semester of UNC–Chapel Hill enrollment will not be counted in the hours needed to qualify as a sophomore.

To enroll with junior class standing, a new transfer student must have at least 60 credit hours accepted for transfer by UNC–Chapel Hill. Summer enrollment and AP/IB Subject Test credit immediately prior to the first semester of UNC–Chapel Hill enrollment will not be counted in the hours needed to qualify as a junior.

More specifically,

Offers of admission typically are extended before an applicant's transfer credit can be fully evaluated. As a result, while transfer students are advised of their likely classification at the point of admission, this classification is provisional until confirmed by notification of transfer credits earned.

Transfer of Credit

The University will award credit hours for courses from other accredited institutions when the student has made a satisfactory grade (a C or its equivalent) and when a similar course is offered by the University. If a passing grade of D is earned, the University will grant credit for the course but no hours will be awarded. If no passing grade is earned, no credit or hours will be granted. In most cases, professional courses and courses taken from nonaccredited institutions (including foreign institutions) will not transfer. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions may grant credit from foreign institutions to entering transfer students when the student provides an evaluation conducted by a professional evaluation service found at www.naces.org. For other institutions, the courses must be approved through the appropriate departments at this University, and the departments will determine if the course(s) may be applied toward requirements for the degree.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will not award any credit hours to currently enrolled UNC–Chapel Hill students for courses taken outside the Unites States, including study abroad courses offered by colleges and universities accredited within the United States. Credit will only be awarded for such courses if the UNC–Chapel Hill Study Abroad Office in the College of Arts and Sciences has approved them. If a student enrolls in a study abroad program offered through a UNC professional school and not the College of Arts and Sciences, the student must seek approval through that professional school.

The University honors the official Comprehensive Articulation Agreement with the North Carolina Community College System.

The University will consult two publications when settling questions that arise concerning the transfer of credit: Transfer Credit Practices, published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and Accredited Institutions of Post-Secondary Education, published by the American Council on Education.

A student may petition any University course credit evaluation provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions through the appropriate academic department. Additional information about having courses reevaluated is available at admissions.unc.edu. The academic department will determine how many, if any, credits can be awarded.

Students seeking transfer to the University may wish to plan their courses at their current institution in a way that will ensure the transfer of those courses. The University encourages such prior planning, and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will assist prospective transfer students with it.

The University will award a maximum of 75 semester hours of transfer credit if the student's last attended institution was a four-year institution. Students may transfer credit hours from a two-year institution only while they are earning their first 64 hours of college credit. For example, if a student has transferred fewer than 64 credit hours from two-year institutions but has earned 64 or more total credit hours (including hours from UNC–Chapel Hill or other four-year institutions), the student cannot transfer any additional credit hours from a two-year institution.

If a student enrolls in a course at a two-year institution concurrently with enrollment in courses at a four-year institution (including UNC–Chapel Hill), transfer credit hours will not be awarded for the course taken at the two-year institution if the hours from the concurrent courses at the four-year institution bring the total earned hours to 64 or more.

For the calculations described herein, credit hours are tallied according to the chronological order in which the courses are taken, not according to the sequence in which documentation of the credits are submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Military-Affiliated Students

We welcome applications from veterans of the United States military, active-duty servicemen and women, and their dependents. All persons who have completed a minimum of three years of active duty service will be considered transfer students with the branch of service functioning as the institution of transfer. Veterans and those who remain on active duty may earn as many as 18 hours of University credit, depending upon their experience. Those on active duty may qualify for the military tuition benefit, which allows them to attend the University at the in-state tuition rate. Students who are eligible for GI Bill or other veteran education benefits must apply directly to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for these funds. For more information, please visit admissions.unc.edu/apply/military-veterans.

Application and Notification Deadlines

First-year applicants may apply for admission for their choice of one of two deadlines, neither of which is binding. Decisions will be posted online for all applicants through the ConnectCarolina Student Center. For the latest first-year admission deadlines and notification dates, please visit www.admissions.unc.edu.

The application deadline and notification dates for sophomore and junior admission to the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Media and Journalism are available at www.admissions.unc.edu. The admission deadlines and notification dates for junior transfer applicants to the professional schools with programs in dental hygiene, clinical laboratory science, health policy and management, nursing, radiologic science, and biostatistics vary by department. Please contact the specific department for additional information.

Appeals of Admissions Decisions

For information on appealing an admissions decision, refer to the "Admissions Appeal Procedure" in the "Admissions" section of this bulletin.

Programs with Limited Admissions

Only a small number of transfer students will be admitted to the professional schools offering majors in media and journalism, and the allied health and public health programs. Junior transfer students planning to major in business administration, education, environmental health science, nutrition, or information and library science must enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences and complete at least one semester before applying for admission to the professional schools offering these degree programs. Students interested in one of these fields may wish to consider another major as a second choice; however, even if admitted to an alternate program, students cannot be guaranteed subsequent admission to their first choice of major. In addition, notification of acceptance to these programs is generally later than for other programs.

Health Program Majors

Early applications for these programs are encouraged. After completion of the fall semester, a transcript of that semester's work should be submitted. Applicants should also contact the specific department for additional application materials and specific program requirements.

Junior transfer applicants for the pharmacy program must apply directly to the School of Pharmacy. Junior transfer applicants also must provide Pharmacy College Admission Test scores as part of the application. Sophomore students must apply directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Music or Dramatic Art Majors

First-year and transfer students applying as music majors should contact the director of undergraduate studies in music at 101 Hill Hall to arrange an audition. Please indicate whether you wish to study voice or an instrument; if an instrument, please indicate which one. Students applying to major in the dramatic arts should contact the director of undergraduate studies in dramatic art at 222 Center for Dramatic Art.

Confirmation of Acceptance

The University requires a nonrefundable enrollment deposit, due by May 1 for first-year admission or mid-May for transfer admission or within two weeks of receipt of the admission decision for students admitted after the deadline, whichever is later.

Degree-seeking students who wish to start their studies during the summer must notify the Office of Undergraduate Admissions of their plans and pay their summer fees as well as the fall term deposits to reserve a space for the fall term.

Admission of International Students

International students are considered for admission on the same basis as other candidates and must provide the same information required of all other applicants. In addition, international students are required to submit results on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (minimum score of 100), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (minimum band score of 7), or the Pearson Test of English (minimum score of 68) if English is not their native language. As a condition of enrollment, all entering students who have completed coursework from a foreign college or university that is not accredited within the United States must have their official transcripts evaluated by an accredited evaluation service such as the services available at www.naces.org.

United States immigration law requires proof of financial support for the student's entire program of study. Before enrollment, admitted students must provide documentation that they have sufficient funds in a bank to cover the first year of tuition and living expenses. See the section "Finances and Financial Aid" in this bulletin for information on expenses. The University will issue the necessary visa documentation to those students who are formally admitted to the University. International students should not leave their native country intending to enroll at the University until they have received a formal letter of acceptance and appropriate visa documents.

Questions concerning international student life on the UNC–Chapel Hill campus should be referred to the Foreign Student Advisor, CB# 5240, Room 2004 FedEx Global Education Center, 301 Pittsboro Street, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-5240.


Any student who withdraws or for any other reason fails to complete a semester must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students applying in this manner must submit a nonrefundable application fee or fee waiver request, as indicated in the application. Application for readmission should be made as early as possible and no later than the stated deadline found on the application for readmission. The readmission application is available at www.admissions.unc.edu.

A student leaving the University with an academic deficiency must restore his or her eligibility in order to be readmitted as a regular student. Restoration of eligibility can be accomplished only by enrolling in summer sessions or through distance-education instruction from the University (see below).

Students who have enrolled in courses at another college or university since their last enrollment at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill must submit transcripts of these courses and must have maintained a C average for all such courses attempted in order to be eligible for readmission. The grade point average required for readmission is based on all courses attempted on all campuses. (By contrast, a student's UNC–Chapel Hill grade point average is based on UNC–Chapel Hill courses only.)

Students leaving the University for medical or disciplinary reasons must be cleared by the appropriate office before being readmitted.

Because the University must adhere to enrollment projections, readmission cannot be guaranteed even if the student is academically eligible.

Admission as a Summer School Visitor

Any student who has not been regularly enrolled or has not been admitted for a fall semester in any school in the University should send an application for admission as a visiting summer student to the Dean of Summer School, CB# 3340, 134 E. Franklin Street. By contrast, those students who are in residence at the University will register for a summer session through their academic dean or advisor and need not make a separate application to the Dean of Summer School. A student who plans to restore academic eligibility through work done in a summer session must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, CB# 2200, Jackson Hall.

Admissions Confidentiality

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will protect the privacy of all students seeking admission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by soliciting and receiving all academic and nonacademic records obtained for the purpose of admission on the condition that they be held in confidence by the University. No information obtained through the admissions process will be shared with individuals, internal or external to the University, other than the chancellor, the provost, and members of the Advisory Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and its subcommittees.

Though current federal legislation allows students enrolling at the University access to their files, students do not have access to their applications.

Exceptions to this confidentiality policy will be made only at the direction of the chancellor or the provost.

Further Information

For additional information and services related to the admission of first-year and transfer students, please contact the Vice Provost for Enrollment and Undergraduate Admissions, CB# 2200, Jackson Hall, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200.

Intra-University Transfer

Transfer from one school or college within the University is possible with the approval of both academic deans concerned.

Other Credit Programs

Carolina Courses Online

Carolina Courses Online is a distance-education program that offers UNC–Chapel Hill courses over the Internet. Class sessions are not required, but courses follow the semester schedule. Access to the World Wide Web and e-mail are required in order to enroll. The courses are administered through the Friday Center for Continuing Education, (919) 962-1134.

Undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences are limited to 24 credit hours toward a degree at UNC–Chapel Hill through Carolina Courses Online.

See the section in this bulletin under "Distance-Learning Courses via the Friday Center for Continuing Education" for additional information.

Self-Paced Courses

Many undergraduate distance-education opportunities are available through Self-Paced Courses, including online and print-based correspondence courses. Students can enroll at any time, work at their own pace, and take up to nine months to complete a course. Undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences are not allowed to take Self-Paced Courses except in unusual circumstances; written consent of the student's dean is required in order to enroll.

Students found academically ineligible to continue in resident study at the University should consider enrolling in Carolina Courses Online and/or Summer School. If extraordinary circumstances exist, a student may contact his or her dean to discuss using Self-Paced Courses to restore eligibility.

Application for Self-Paced Courses is made to the Friday Center for Continuing Education, CB# 1020, (919) 962-1134. Application forms and a complete catalog of course listings may be obtained from the same office.

Admission to Part-Time Classroom Studies

Part-Time Classroom Studies is the academic unit in the Friday Center for Continuing Education through which area adults (customarily students aged 24 and older) enroll in University courses part time. Both undergraduate and postbaccalaureate students are admitted without respect to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or handicap.

Part-Time Classroom Studies students may register for a maximum course load of eight credit hours per semester. A small selection of courses is scheduled for the evening hours; the University's daytime courses are also open to Part-Time Classroom Studies students if space permits.

Undergraduate or high school students desiring to enroll through Part-Time Classroom Studies should file an admission application and nonrefundable application fee with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, CB# 2200, Jackson Hall, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200, or at www.admissions.unc.edu.

Admission is limited for both prospective degree candidates and for those seeking to take courses for personal benefit and enjoyment. To be eligible, students must have been away from a traditional school setting for at least 12 months and must have graduated from a secondary school. Admission is available to UNC–Chapel Hill faculty and staff employees. Traditional students who have been denied full-time admission to the University are not immediately eligible for enrollment through Part-Time Classroom Studies. All students admitted as prospective degree candidates must meet minimum University requirements for admission. In considering prospective degree candidates for admission, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions shall use the same admissions criteria that it uses to evaluate comparable full-time, degree-seeking students applying to the University. For information about those criteria, please see the sections on first-year and transfer admission above. Students who have a baccalaureate degree may apply online at fridaycenter.unc.edu.

Admission to Part-Time Classroom Studies does not constitute admission to a degree program at the University. Undergraduates wishing to pursue a degree must be accepted for transfer into one of the degree-granting schools or colleges of the University. For a bachelor's degree a minimum of 45 academic credit hours must be earned from UNC–Chapel Hill, and at least 24 of the last 30 academic credits must be earned from UNC–Chapel Hill courses. Beyond these minimum course requirements, students attempting to transfer from Part-Time Classroom Studies into one of the degree-seeking schools or colleges of the University must present evidence that they are prepared to make satisfactory progress towards the degree. Postbaccalaureate students must apply and be accepted to a graduate degree program.

Undergraduate students enrolled through Part-Time Classroom Studies for personal benefit and enjoyment may apply to convert to degree-seeking status. Such applications will be reviewed in light of the criteria for admission to Part-Time Classroom Studies for degree-seeking status.

Orientation and New Student Registration

Summer orientation offers a range of programs intended to introduce new students and their parents to the University; to acquaint them with the academic opportunities available to undergraduates; to aid them in their adjustment to campus living; to offer other information, discussion, and academic advice; and to help them thrive when they join the Carolina community. New student orientation continues when students arrive in the fall with a variety of activities during the Week of Welcome.

Transfer Student Orientation

All new undergraduate students admitted as sophomore or junior transfers are required to attend one of the summer orientation programs designed specifically for transfer students to learn about college life at Carolina.

During this one-day transfer orientation program, new transfer students meet and interact with faculty, staff, and other new transfer students. Students attend a formal welcome, learn about academic advising, learn about the services and educational opportunities, and, if applicable, complete a foreign language placement examination.

To help ensure the availability of preferred courses, transfer students should register for fall classes prior to summer orientation. Transfer students may enroll online to register for courses as soon as their deposit is paid and the personal identification number (PID number) is generated.