Visitors to Carolina often ask about the places on campus that they should visit first. While the list below is not exhaustive, it can serve as a starting point and illustrate how UNC is fulfilling its mission of teaching, research and public service.
In 1948, William Hayes Ackland left a bequest to establish a university art museum in the South because there were few museums of any kind below the Mason-Dixon Line. The Ackland opened in 1958 on the campus of the first public university in the nation, UNC-Chapel Hill. Over four decades later, the Ackland still finds its greatest strength in using its university environment as a resource to engage both university and non-university audiences.
The state-of-the-art Carolina Basketball Museum features artifacts, videos, photos, and statistical and historical panels that highlight the history of the Carolina Basketball program. It also includes interactive presentations highlighting Carolina’s 18 Final Four appearances and 17 Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament championships, and many of the greatest games and most exciting finishes in Tar Heel history.
Recognized as one of America’s “cultural resources worthy of preservation,” The Carolina Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Since it opened in 1924, the Inn has been important to the life of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the community. And it has been one of the most popular sites in North Carolina for banquets, weddings, business meetings and academic conferences.
Kenan Memorial Stadium is the home of Carolina’s football team. Built in 1927, the stadium has undergone a series of renovations, expansions and upgrades over the years. Set back from Stadium Drive among the Carolina pines, the 60,000-seat Kenan Stadium is one of the most beautiful football facilities in the country.
Memorial Hall opened in 1931. It served the campus and community well for 70 years before a 2005 partnership between the State of North Carolina and hundreds of generous donors culminated in its transformation. In that time, the stage saw the likes of Louis Armstrong and his Dixieland All-Stars, poets Robert Frost and Maya Angelou, and the national tours of Broadway musicals such as Grease. Today, the venue’s Carolina Performing Arts Series expounds on that great history by offering world-class performances of music, dance and theater, innovative cultural and artistic expression, and lectures. In 2009, Memorial Hall welcomed the world-renowned Bolshoi Ballet in the Ballet’s first ever performance in the Southeast.
The Morehead Planetarium and Science Center, one of the largest planetariums in the United States, fills thousands of visitors with knowledge and wonder each year. The Morehead Planetarium Building and grounds — complete with a 68-foot, domed Star Theater and Zeiss Model VI Star Projector, scientific exhibits and classrooms, 24-inch Cassegrain reflecting telescope and observation decks, Visitors’ Center, art galleries, rose gardens and the massive sundial were built for students of all ages with all interests.
The Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History was established on July 1, 1988. Initially known as the Black Cultural Center, it was renamed for beloved faculty member Dr. Sonja Haynes Stone after her untimely death in 1991. Upon its inception, The Stone Center focused its attention on raising awareness of and appreciation for African-American culture by the campus community. Today, the center is one of the preeminent sites in the nation for the critical examination of African and African-American diaspora cultures, providing intellectual and cultural programming that is both timely and informative.
The Center for Dramatic Art contains The Paul Green Theatre, home of PlayMakers Repertory Company and a scene shop, both completed in 1976. A 40,000 square-foot addition opened in 1998 to house offices for the Department of Dramatic Art and PlayMakers Repertory Company, a costume shop, a rehearsal hall, acting studios, a traditional classroom and the 200-seat Elizabeth Price Kenan Theatre for student productions.
The sunken courtyard known as “The Pit” beside the Student Union is a popular gathering place for students and the site of speeches and performances. Notices painted on “The Cube” near the Union alert students to upcoming events. The Pit’s south side steps lead to Student Stores in the Daniels Building. The north side steps lead to Lenoir Hall, the main dining hall on campus.
UNC Hospitals include the N.C. Memorial, N.C. Women’s, N.C. Children’s, N.C. Neurosciences and N.C. Cancer Hospitals. All are part of the UNC Health Care System, a not-for-profit integrated health care system owned by the state of North Carolina and based in Chapel Hill. The system exists to further UNC-Chapel Hill’s teaching mission and to provide state-of-the-art patient care.