- With support from a UNC Junior Faculty Development Award, a UNC Junior Faculty semester leave, and UNC University Research Council Grant, I began research on “The Edible South” in 2007, and have continued my research in archival collections to the present time.
- Research 2007: Janice B. Longone Culinary Archive, William L. Clements Library, Univ. of MI, Ann Arbor, Southern Historical Collection at UNC-CH.
- Research 2008: In Charleston, SC, College of Charleston Special Collections and the South Carolina Historical Society; in Savannah, Georgia, the Georgia Historical Society, and in Boston, MA, the Schlesinger Archive at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. Hired part-time research assistants to locate southern food photography in the Farm Security Administration collection at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., and food-related manuscripts in the Southern Historical Collection at UNC-CH.
- Research 2009 (supported by 2008-09 grant from UNC University Research Council): UNC-Asheville Special Collections, including the Biltmore Industry Papers at the Grove Park Inn and North Carolina collections at Pack Memorial Library, the South Caroliniana Library at USC in Columbia, SC, in Jackson, MS, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and the Margaret Walker Alexander Center at Jackson State University, and in New Orleans, the Historic New Orleans Collection and the Louisiana Research Center at the Louisiana State Museum; at Tulane University, the Amistad Collection, special collections at the Howard Tilton Memorial Library, and the Newcomb Center for Research on Women.
- Research 2010-2011: (supported by a 2010 UNC Reynolds Faculty Competitive Research Leave, Spring semester, 2011, and a grant from the UNC University Research Council): UNC’s Southern Historical Collection, the Sallie Bingham Center for Women’s History and Culture at Duke University, Special Collections at North Carolina State University, and Biltmore Industries, Inc. Collections at the Grovewood Gallery, Inc., Asheville, North Carolina.