Fight PowerPoint Abuse!
Professor Tufte. a statistics professor at Yale, is an expert on communicating information. He is
perhaps best known for his books on visually communicating information and concepts.
- The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint is an essay by Tufte that
critiques the widespread use of PowerPoint as a means of communication in meetings
- An interview with Tufte in ID Magazine He
argues that the use of Powerpoint
is preventing the actual discussion and interpretation of data, facts, and information. He argues that when information is
reduced to a series of bullet points, all of the richness of the original information is lost---in many cases, this will
prevent alternative interpretations of the information to surface and thus wrong decisions can be made in very important
- NASA exampleTufte demonstrates that NASA's internal use of PowerPoint
as a means of communicating technical issues was at least partly to blame for the Columbia Shuttle disaster.
- PowerPoint Makes You Dumb NY Times
- PowerPoint is Evil Wired
- Does PowerPoint Make Us Stupid? CNN
Return to Home Page