J. Andrew Petersen, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Marketing and
Assistant Director of the Center for Integrated Marketing and Sales (CIMS)
UNC at Chapel Hill
Kenan-Flagler Business School
Campus Box 3490, McColl Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Management - Fall '12 (BSBA)
- Customer Relationship Management - Fall '12, Mod II (MBA)
- Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) and Donor Lifetime Value (DLV)
- Managing Customer Product Returns
- Customer Portfolio Management
- Sales Force Management
- Customer Referral Value (CRV) and Business Reference Value (BRV)
- The Link Between Customer Attitudes and Customer Value
- Kumar, V., Petersen, J. Andrew and Robert P. Leone (2013), “Defining, Measuring and Managing Business Reference Value,” forthcoming, Journal of Marketing. (pdf)
- Kumar, V., Petersen, J. Andrew and Robert P. Leone (2010), “Driving Profitability by Encouraging Referrals: Who, When, and How,” Journal of Marketing, 74 (5), 1-17.
- Petersen, J. Andrew and V. Kumar (2010), “Earning a Nice Return on Product Returns,” MIT Sloan Management Review, 51 (3), 85-89 (pdf)
V., Ilaria Dalla Pozza, J. Andrew Petersen and
Denish Shah (2009), “Reversing the Logic: The New Path to
Profitability,” Journal of Interactive Marketing
23 (2), 147-156. (pdf)
J. Andrew and V. Kumar (2009), “Are Product Returns
a Necessary Evil? Antecedents and Consequences,” Journal
of Marketing 73 (3), 35-51. (pdf)
** Winner: 2010 Don Lehmann Award for best dissertation-based paper published in the Journal of Marketing or Journal of Marketing Research
** Finalist: 2009 MSI/H. Paul Root Award
** Finalist: 2009 Harold H. Maynard Award
J. Andrew, Leigh McAlister, David Reibstein, Russell
Winer, V. Kumar, and Geoff Atkinson (2009), “Choosing the
Right Metrics to Maximize Profitability and Shareholder Value,”
Journal of Retailing, 85(1), 95-111. (pdf)
Kumar, V., J. Andrew Petersen and Robert Leone
(2007), “How Valuable is Word of Mouth?,” Harvard
Business Review, 85 (10), 139-146. (pdf)
Zeithaml, Valarie, Ruth Bolton, John Deighton, Timothy Keiningham,
Katherine Lemon and J. Andrew Petersen (2006),
“Forward-Looking Focus: Can Firms Have Adaptive Foresight?,”
Journal of Service Research, 9 (2), 168-183. (pdf)
** Finalist: 2007 Journal of Service Research Best Article Award
Kumar, V. and J. Andrew Petersen (2005), “Using
a Customer-Level Marketing Strategy to Enhance Firm Performance:
A Review of Theoretical and Empirical Evidence,” Journal
of the Academy of Marketing Science, 33 (4), 504-519. (pdf)
Kumar, V. and J. Andrew Petersen (2004), “Maximizing
ROI or Profitability,” Marketing Research Magazine,
16 (3), 28-34. (pdf)
Recent and Upcoming Conference
- Petersen, J. Andrew, Tarun Kushwaha, and V. Kumar (2012), "The Impact of National Culture on the Relationship between Marketing Efforts, Customer Behavior and Profitability: Emerging vs. Developed Markets," to be presented at the 2012 Marketing Science Emerging Markets (MSEM) Conference at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
- Petersen, J. Andrew, Tarun Kushwaha, and V. Kumar (2012), "The Effect of National Culture on Consumer Behavior and Response to Marketing Initiatives," presented at the 2012 INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, Boston, MA.
- Rapp, Adam A., J. Andrew Petersen, and Douglas E. Hughes (2012), "The Impact of Sales Manager Time Allocation on Sales Team Performance: Should Sales Managers Sell, Manage, or Both?", presented at the 2012 Harvard Thought Leadership on the Sales Profession Conference, Boston, MA.
- Kumar, V. and J. Andrew Petersen (2012), "Statistical Methods in Customer Relationship Management," Chichester, UK: Wiley (Link).
- Petersen, J. Andrew and V. Kumar (2009), “Getting Smart About Product Returns,” Business Insight in the Wall Street Journal (co-produced by Sloan Management Review), November 30, 2009. (Link). Includes Supplemental Podcast: “Lenient Product Return Policies”(Link).