News & Events
"... the heart of integrity at Carolina."
Please review information about the UNC-Chapel Hill Honor System. It is an expectation that faculty and students will nourish and maintain the academic integrity of our programs. If you have any questions about the honor code please talk with your course coordinator, academic advisor, advanced practice area coordinator, or program director.
Monday, August 17, New Student Orientation: Please contact the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) with any questions about orientation or registration for Fall. See the OSA with any questions or problems with registration.
Clinical Regulations & Compliance Policies: Review the SON policies. Any questions? Please go to the Office of Student Affairs.
Professional Attire (MSN & DNP): Read the Graduate policies related to nametags and uniforms. Please check with the Coordinator of your Advanced Practice area to see if "Graduate Student" or "Nurse Practitioner Student" should be put on your nametag.
Starting or finishing up your Master's Paper, DNP Project, or Dissertation? Take a peek at the writing center resources.
SON Student Handbook
Please remember to read through the SON Student Handbook. Some helpful links to get you started:
- Philosophy of the SON: Beliefs about nursing practice and nursing education.
- Disability Statement: If you need information about learning disabilities services or other disabilities, start here.
- Essential Standards for Admission, Progression, and Graduation: Describes the non-academic qualifications in addition to the academic qualifications that the School considers essential for entrance, continuation, and graduation from its nursing degree programs.
All paperwork and final manuscripts for master's papers are due by 12 noon in the SON Office of Academic Affairs, Graduate Suite (Alecia Matthews), Carrington.
For the Master's Paper, see your Committee Chair with any questions about format and style. Most papers are submitted using APA style (6th ed.) -- keep in mind, an accepted publication must be used.
Last day for Graduate Students to file a degree application for degree to be awarded in August.
Congratulations to all August graduates! In general, any questions related to verification of your educational preparation, once you have graduated, should proceed through the Office of Student Affairs.
Please read the information below very carefully:
- NP NCBON Letters (MSN-APRN graduates):
NCBON letters verifying your curriculum has met the standards for NP education will be sent by the OAA to the NCBON approximately 15 working days after the official date of graduation. A copy of this letter will be sent to you along with your Compliance file.
Please indicate in your approval to practice packet that the letter has already been sent to the BON by the Program Director. The NCBON will keep this letter on file for 1 year. Sometimes the Board does not indicate receipt of your letter immediately in their online database -- so please call them if it says your letter is not there yet (the NCBON contact is Teresa Werlau, APRN Coordinator 919-782-3211, Ext 260 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
If they cannot locate it or you are 1 year post graduation, you will need to contact the OAA to request that another copy of the original letter be sent to the BON.
See the NCBON site for information about the NP application process, including registration and approval to practice.
- Verification of Educational Program:
Verification of education forms are required by two certifying bodies: ANCC and CNE (CNL exam). For ANCC certification, click this link for the Education Verification Form. For those of you sitting for the ANCC exams, the verification of educational program form is to be submitted or emailed to Deannie Holt, Office of Student Affairs (Suite 1200, New Addition to Carrington Hall).
Complete the top portion of the form (with name, address, etc.). The remainder of the form with courses completed and clinical hours will be completed by the SON and emailed to ANCC. The student will be copied on the email so you will know the form was completed and you will have a copy for your files.
Forms will not be completed prior to graduation. Presently, the AANP (FNP; ANP) does not require such a form, nor does the PNCB (PNP-PC) certification board.
Please allow up to 15 working days for processing after graduation or the date your first submit the form. (For August Graduates, please allow up to 1 month due to vacation schedules.)
NOTE: If you are a postmaster's student, processing may take longer as certifying bodies now require a letter justifying your individualized program of study.
- Certifying Bodies for graduates...[more]
- Transcripts: Transcripts can be ordered online by current students and alumni of the University. Online transcript ordering is convenient, can be done from any location 24/7, and provides emails to inform students/alumni on the status of their request. NOTE: The School of Nursing does not and cannot send official transcripts to your certification boards.
- Moving to another state: You will need to contact the Board of Nursing in the state you are moving to and ask about forms or paperwork that need to be filled out by your educational program. When you send the paperwork to us, in many cases, you must sign the form before we can send it to the Board of Nursing. Please make sure you have signed the form (if required) prior to sending it to us. Direct all paperwork to the SON Registrar in the Office of Student Affairs.