- Basic acoustics for speech analysis
- How are sound waves produced, and what are their general properties?
- What are formants, and how are their frequencies determined?
- The use of speech analysis software for investigating
the acoustic properties of speech sounds
- What are the acoustic properties of different kinds of sounds?
- Which acoustic properties are linguistically relevant?
- The articulation of speech sounds, including the
anatomy of the vocal tract and the physiology
of speech production
- How are speech sounds articulated?
- Which articulatory properties are linguistically relevant?
- How does articulation relate to acoustics?
- The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) as a system for transcribing speech sounds
For more about phonology and how it is different from phonetics, see Ling 200 (Phonology).
Ling 520 resources