Glass Armlets/ Bracelets
Manching Site, Western Germany
These armring and bracelet fragments were all
found in the western German oppida, Manching -- thought to be one of the
major glass production/distribution centers of Iron Age central Europe.
The bracelet itself is a plain single banded translucent purple glass ring.
It is decorated with a raised s-scroll or running dog pattern of opaque
yellow glass. The raised pattern is indicative of the plastic style
that began in the 3rd Century BCE. Both the plastic style and the
running dog pattern appear more obviously in the armlet fragments to the
Fragments from over 1500 armlets and bracelets have been recovered from
central European sites. These vary in color, pattern and complexity.
Glass bracelets such as these produced in Manching were possibly exported
to Gaul, Moravia and the Germanic region of Thurra.
1st Century BCE
Width: 10.3 -11mm
Thickness: 8.5 -9mm
Inner Diameter: 6cm
Glass: violet, opaque yellow
Römisch-Germanisch Komission Des Deutschen Archäologischen
Instituts zu Frankfurt am Main