Alliterative Revival and GGK
The Alliterative Revival
- Turville-Petre, Thorlac. The Alliterative Revival. Cambridge: Brewer, 1977. R
- Levy, Bernard S. and Paul E. Szarmach, ed. The Alliterative Tradition in the Fourteenth Century. Kent: Kent State UP, 1981.
- Lawton, David, ed. Middle English Alliterative Poetry and Its Literary Background: Seven Essays. Cambridge: Brewer, 1982. R Note Lawton introductory essay "Middle English Alliterative Poetry: An Introduction," 1-19.
- Shepherd, Geoffrey. "The Nature of Alliterative Poetry in Late Medieval England." Sir Israel Gollancz Memorial Lecture. PBA 56 (1970): 57-76.
- Persall, Derek. Old English and Middle English Poetry, 150-80.
- Diamond, Arlyn. "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: An Alliterative Romance." PQ 55 (1976-7): 10-29. [Posits genre of "alliterative romance."]
- Lawton, David A. "The Unity of Middle English Alliterative Poetry." Speculum 58 (1983): 72-94.
The Gawain Manuscript: Cotton Nero A X
- Gollancz, Sir Israel. Pearl, Cleanness, Patience, and Sir Gawain: Reproduced in Facsimile. EETS 162. London: Oxford UP, 1923
Pearl / Gawain Poet: General Studies
- Davenport, W.A. The Art of the Gawain-Poet. London: Athlone, 1978.
- Moorman, Charles. The Pearl-Poet. New York: Twayne, 1968.
- Spearing, A.C. The Gawain Poet: A Critical Study. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1970.
Pearl / Gawain Poet: Collections of Essays
- Blanch, Robert J., ed. Sir Gawain and Pearl: Critical Essays. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1966.
- Fox, Denton, ed. Twentieth Century Interpretations of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1968.
- Howard, Donald R. and Christian Zacher, ed. Critical Studies of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Notre Dame: U of Notre Dame P, 1968.
- Tolkien, J.R.R. and E.V. Gordon, ed. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. 2nd ed. rev. Norman Davis. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1967.
GGK: Selected Books
- Benson, Larry D. Art and Tradition in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1965.
- Borroff, Marie. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: A Stylistic and Metrical Study. Yale Studies in English 152. New Haven: Yale UP, 1962.
- Burrow, John A. A Reading of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. New York: Barns & Noble, 1966.
GGK: Selected Articles
- Adams, Jeremy duQuesnay. "Modern Views of Medieval Chivalry, 1884-1984." The Study of Chivalry. Ed. Howell Chickering and Thomas H. Seiler. Kalamazoo: Medieval Institute, 1988. 41-90.
- Bennett, Michael J. "Courtly Literature and Northwest England in the Later Middle Ages." Court and Poet: Selected Proceedings of the Third Congress of the International Courtly Literature Society, Liverpool, 1980. Ed. Burgess, Glyn S. et al. Liverpool: Cairns, 1981. 69-78.
- Chivalric Literature: Essays on relations between literature and life in the later middle ages. Ed. Larry D. Benson and John Leyerle. Studies in Medieval Culture XIV. Kalamazoo: Medieval Institute, 1980
- Hall, Louis Brewer. "The Breakdown of Chivalry in the Fourteenth Century." In Miller and Chance 1986. 87-92.
- Haymes, Edward E., ed. The Medieval Court in Europe. Munich: Fink, 1986.
- Knight, Stephen. "The Social Function of the Middle English Romances." Medieval Literature: Criticism, Ideology, and History. Ed. David Aers. New York: St. Martin's, 1986. 99-122.
- Lepow, Lauren. "The Contrasted Courts in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." In Haymes 1986. 200-208.
- Miller, Miriam Youngerman and Jane Chance. Approaches to Teaching Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. New York: MLA, 1986.
- Wasserman, Julian and Robert J. Blanch. "The Medieval Court and the Gawain Manuscript." In Haymes 1986. 176-88.
- Weiss, Victoria L. "The 'Laykyng of Enterludez' at King Arthur's Court: The Beheading Scene in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." In Haymes 1986. 189-99.
- Wilkin, Gregory J. "The Dissolutions of the Templar Ideal in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." English Studies 63 (1982): 109-21.