- Curtius, Ernst Robert. European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages. Trans. Willard R. Trask. 1953. New York: Harper, 1963. (On the word "romance" see pages 31-2.)
- Newstead, Helaine. "Romances: General." A Manual of the Writings in Middle English, 1050-1500. General ed. J. Burke Severs [subsequently A.E. Hartung]. Vol. 1. New Haven: Connecticut Acad. of Arts and Sciences, 1967. 1-16. (Includes dated list of English romances. Rest of volume has chapters on different classes of Middle English romances.)
- Barron, W.R.J. English Medieval Romances. London: Longman, 1987. (Chronological Table 237-42; Bibliography 243-83, including an alphabetical list of individual romances [editions and studies] on 275 ff.)
- Everett, D. 'A Characterization of the English Medieval Romances.' Essays and Studies 15 (1929):98-121; reprinted in her Essays on Middle English Literature, 1955.
- Wilson, R. M. Early Middle English Literature. 3rd ed. London: Methuen, 1968. "Romance," 193-230.
- Pearsall, Derek. Old English and Middle English Poetry. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1977. "Thirteenth-century romance and chronicle" 113-118; "The Auchinleck MS and the romances" 143-49.
- Bennett, J.A.W. Middle English Literature. Ed. and completed by Douglas Gray. Oxford: Clarendon, 1986. Ch. 5, "Romances," 121-201.
- Kane, George. "The Middle English Metrical Romances." Middle English Literature. 1951. London: Methuen, 1970. 1-103.
- Southern, R.W. "From Epic to Romance." The Making of the Middle Ages. 1953. New Haven: Yale UP, 1961. 219-57.
- Mehl, Dieter. The Middle English Reomances of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Centuries. London: Routledge, 1968.
- Vinaver, Eugene. The Rise of Romance. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1971.
- Stevens, John B. Medieval Romance: Themes and Approaches. London: Hutchinson, 1973.
- Wilson, Anne D. Traditional Romance and Tale. Ipswich: Brewer, 1976.
- Wittig, Susan. Stylistic and Narrative Structures in the Middle English Romances. Austin: U of Texas P, 1978.
- Ramsey, Lee.C. Chivalric Romances: Popular Literature in Medieval England. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1983.
- Rice, Joanne A. Middle English Romance: An Annotated Bibliography, 1955-1985. New York: Garland, 1987.
- Loomis, L.H. "The Auchinleck Manuscript and a possible London Bookshop of 1330-1340." PMLA 57 (1942):595-627.
- Baugh, A.C. "The Authorship of the Middle English Romances." MHRA 22 (1950):13-28.
- ___________. "Improvisation in the Middle English Romancs." Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 103 (1959):418-54.
- ___________. "The Middle English Romance: Some Questions of Creation, Presentation, and Preservation." Speculum 42 (1967):1-31.
- Brunner, Karl. "The Middle English Metrical Romances and their Audience." Studies in Medieval Literature in Honor of Albert Croll Baugh. Ed. MacEdward Leach. Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania P, 1961. 219-27.
- Pearsall, D. "The development of Middle English romance." MS 27 (1965):91-116.
- French, Walter H. and Charles B. Hale, ed. Middle English Metrical Romances. 1930. New York: Russell & Russell, 1964. (Twenty-seven romances, most complete but some in selections only. Includes selections from La3amon, not generally considered a "romance.")
- Sands, Donald B., ed. Middle English Verse Romances. New York: Holt, 1966. (Horn, Havelock, Athelston, Gamelyn; Sir Orfer, Sir Launfal, Lai le Fresne; Squire of Low Degree, Floris and Blancheflour; Tournament of Tottenham, Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell, Sir Gawain and the Carl of Carlyle.)
- Gibbs, A.C., ed. Middle English Romances. York Medieval Texts. London: Arnold, 1966. (Horn, Havelock, Floris and Blancheflour, Sir Orfeo, Destruction of Troy, Sir Thopas, Emaré, Sir Degravant.)
- Rumble, Thomas C., ed. The Breton Lays in Middle English. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1965.