Linguistics 520: Linguistic Phonetics
UNC-Chapel Hill Linguistics
2016 August 26 (F)
Topics: Using Praat. Sound. Spectrograms.
Assignment for Monday, August 29:
- Types of sound wave
- Simple periodic waves
- Using the Edit function to listen and look (helpful handout from
Jen Smith is
- Measuring frequency and period; calculating wavelength
- Spectrogram basics (like reading music).
- Use of Spectrum:Spectrogram settings... to change
- Analysis window: wide-band (0.005 s) and narrow-band
- Complex periodic waves.
- Fundamental frequency.
- Preview HW 1.
2016 August 24 (W)
Topics: Course organization. Praat and the Ladefoged/Disner website.
Intro to sound.
- Course organization and Sakai site.
- Information on
Praat, and more Praat resources (Jen Smith).
The Praat website is here.
website.that goes with the Ladefoged & Disner textbook
- Reading the Praat waveform display.
- Acoustic parameters of sound waves: Period and frequency.
Assignment (to be done by 8/26 Fri):
- Read Ladefoged & Disner Ch. 1 and Johnson Ch 1 (sections 1-3 only).
- Install Praat
on your computer and check that it runs.
- Check that you can listen to and download sound files from the
Ladefoged & Disner website . Navigate in that site to
find an audio example, and click on it. You should hear something.
In the media pop-up window, right-click on the Play/Stop button, and
choose "Download video as..." to save the audio file in .aiff format
- Bring laptops to class on Friday with Praat installed!