Linguistics 520: Linguistic Phonetics
UNC-Chapel Hill Linguistics
2014 Aug. 27 (W)
Topics: Source/filter theory. Resonances of schwa.
Assignment (for Friday, Aug. 29): Read Johnson 2.4 (resonance
and schwa). Print out the ``Reflection and inversion'' handout (Sakai),
and bring it to class.
- Reprise of source-filter theory
- Last time: Source (larynx).
Glottal waveform, F0 = 100 Hz
(similar to Johnson Figures 2.1 and 2.2)
- This time: Filter (supralaryngeal vocal tract).
Schwa made from that glottal wave.
- Demo: Resonances of a half-open cylinder.
- Harmonics and formants.
- Schwa glissando: Fundamental
and harmonics change, formants stay the same.
- Diphthong: Formants change,
fundamental and harmonics stay the same.
2014 Aug. 25 (M)
Topics: HW 1. Vowels; source/filter theory. Source: the larynx
and the glottal wave.
Assignment for 8/27 (W): Read Johnson 2.1 (voicing),
2.3 (vocal-tract filtering).
- Go over HW 1. Don't forget:
- Honor Code statement
("I completed this work in accordance with the UNC Honor Code").
- Names of collaborators.
- Draw box around notes added in class (or
mark in some other clear way)
- Using Praat's Spectrum: View spectral slice to make a
- Demonstration of acoustic filtering by half-open tube. Low-tech source-filter synthesis:
Buzzing lips, then buzzing lips into 17.7-cm tube.
- Source: The larynx (vocal-fold vibration)
- Acoustics of the glottal wave
2014 August 22 (F)
Topics: Using Praat. Sound. Spectrograms.
Assignment for Monday, August 25:
- Types of sound wave
- Simple periodic waves
- Using the Edit function to listen and look (helpful handout from
Jen Smith is
- Measuring frequency and period; calculating wavelength
- Spectrogram basics (like reading music).
- Use of Spectrum:Spectrogram settings... to change
- Analysis window: wide-band (0.005 s) and narrow-band
- Complex periodic waves.
- Fundamental frequency.
- Preview HW 1.
- Do HW 1 (Sakai, Resources: 08.22). The alternative website for
the Ladefoged/Disner audio is
- Read Ladefoged & Disner Ch. 2, on pitch and the larynx.
2014 August 20 (W)
Topics: Course organization. Praat and the Ladefoged/Disner website.
Intro to sound.
- Course organization and Sakai site.
- Information on
Praat, and more Praat resources (Jen Smith).
The Praat website is here.
website.that goes with the Ladefoged & Disner textbook
- Reading the Praat waveform display.
- Acoustic parameters of sound waves: Period and frequency.
Assignment (to be done by 8/22 Fri):
- Read Ladefoged & Disner Ch. 1 and Johnson Ch 1 (sections 1-3 only).
- Install Praat
on your computer and check that it runs.
- Check that you can listen to and download sound files from the
Ladefoged & Disner website.
- Bring laptops to class on Friday with Praat installed!