Library & Information Science Experience
Library of Congress, Policy and Standards Division
Intern, December 2012-January 2013
- Participated in the development and production of documentation on the Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus (LCMPT) and companion Data Authority Elements.
- Reformatted existing LCMPT documents and created collaborative versions.
- Mapped LCMPT terms to LC Control Numbers and LC Subject Headings.
- Examined existing LC authority records and evaluate for inclusion in LCMPT.
- Researched appropriate reference resources for completion of data element information.
- Deployed LCMPT terms and data elements into the Open Metadata Registry.
- Presented on the deployment of the thesaurus to the Open Metadata Registry to Library of Congress staff members.
UNC-CH Metadata Research Center (MRC)
Graduate Research Assistant, October 2011-present
- Collaborate on MRC research projects funded by the National Science Foundation and the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences.
- Serve as webmaster of the MRC website.
- Assist with coordination of MRC-related events (outreach, lectures, and research meetings).
- Participated in a Helping Interdisciplinary Vocabulary Engineering (HIVE) research effectiveness study mapping controlled vocabulary terms to author-generated terms used in the Dryad digital repository
- Co-authored a working paper: Developing a Test Collection for the Evaluation of Automatic Subject Indexing in a Scientific Data Repository (with J. Greenberg, C. Willis, and N. Carver)
Dryad Digital Repository
Digital Curation Assistant, October 2011-present
- Work in a digital data repository context, curating datasets which underlie peer-reviewed bioscience publications.
- Evaluate items for accuracy and completeness in order to determine their inclusion in or rejection from the repository.
- Edit and create item metadata, digital object identifiers, and citations
- Communicate with data content creators and Dryad technical staff in order to facilitate archiving, accessibility, and preservation
UNC-CH Music Library
Graduate Cataloging Assistant, August 2011- December 2012
- Catalog and archive 800+ vocal sheet music scores for the UNC Sheet Music Collection
- Experience cataloging resources in English, Portuguese, Hebrew, Hawaiian, French, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Create multiple public displays highlighting interesting library acquisitions.
- Assisted in curating Music Library exhibit Curating Sound: 75 Years of Music Collections at UNC (Oct. 2011)
UNC-CH Music Library
Interim Carolina Academic Library Associate, May 2012-August 2012
- Processed new and continuing serials volumes and prepared them for binding
- Processed incoming library acquisitions, including scores and parts, folios, reference literature, sound and video recordings, methods literature, and monographic studies
- Trained new half-time employee in serials management, acquisitions processing, web maintenance, and other library processes