22 May 2011
Durham County Mini-Breeding Bird Surveys
Durham County Routes
Map of the routes:
DESCRIPTIONS OF THE ROUTES
- names of roads and county road numbers have been checked on the ground.
- The Delorme Atlas does not always have the correct names for roads;
please send corrections to Haven
- Some of these routes are in remote places! Scout your route
before trying to run it at dawn! Notify the Durham County
Sheriff's Department that you will be counting birds. Also display
a sign with big letters saying "Bird Count"!
- (1) South Lowell Road NE (northwestern Durham County)
- Starting point: intersection of South Lowell Rd (SR 1461) and
Guess Rd (SR 1003).
- Route: go north on South Lowell. Just after crossing Little
River, turn left onto South Lowell, which becomes SR 1464. Continue to
501, skipping the 4-lane stretch, and turn left onto 501. Turn right onto
Moore's Road and right again onto a gravel road that has no official state
road sign. On the left you should immediately see a sign that says Hill
Forest and SR 1614. On the right is a DOT diamond-shaped sign that reads
"Road subject to flooding". Go to the end of the road, crossing the Flat
River and passing through NC State Univ. forest. Turn left onto Wilkens
Road and left again onto Hampton (SR 1603). Turn right onto Red Mountain
Road (SR 1471) and continue until you have completed 10 miles.
- (2) Stagville Road NW (northeastern Durham County)
- Starting point: junction of Stagville Road (SR 1615) and Old
Oxford Highway (SR 1626).
- Route: drive northwest on Stagville to its end. Turn left onto
John Jones Road (SR 1618) and continue to Ball Road (SR 1617) where you
turn right, crossing Bahama Road and railroad tracks. Turn left onto
Quail Roost Road (SR 1615) and continue until you finish 10 miles. If
more road is necessary, turn right on 501 and left onto Conference Road
- (3) Broad Street NW (central western Durham County)
- Starting point: intersection of Broad Street and Club
- Route: go north on Broad Street turning left onto Guess Road.
Turn left onto Carver Street. Go about 1.5 miles to Rose of Sharon Road
and turn left and right onto Cole Mill Road. Follow Cole Mill Road, cross
the Eno River and turn right onto Umstead Road (SR 1449). Follow Umstead
to Guess Road and turn left onto Guess Road until you have completed 10
- (4) Goodwin Road SW (central Durham County)
- Starting point: junction of Goodwin (SR 1640) and 501, across
from Northern High School.
- Route: go east on Goodwin until Infinity Road (SR 1639), turn
left and continue to the end of Infinity. Turn right onto Snow Hill (SR
1631). This takes you to Old Oxford Highway (SR 1004) where you should
turn left. You will cross railroad tracks and an arm of Falls Lake.
Continue until you can bear right on Teknika Parkway. Turn right onto Red
Mill Road (SR 1632). Go as far as necessary until you have completed 10
miles. If necessary, turn left on East Geer Street.
- (5) Farrington Mill Road NW (southwestern Durham County)
- Starting point: intersection of Farrington Mill Road (SR 1109)
and Kepley Road (SR 1108) -- Kepley is about 0.5 miles south of Barbee
- Route: go north on Farrington Mill, turn right onto Farrington
Road (SR 1110) and cross Hwy 54. Continue north, passing I-40. At Old
Chapel Hill Road, turn right and cross New Hope Creek, turning right onto
Chapel Hill Road (do not continue on University Drive). When Chapel Hill
Road meets University Drive, turn right and immediately turn left onto
Academy Road (751). Stay on Academy and at the major intersection and
stoplight near the old university president?s house, veer right onto Duke
University Road and continue as far as needed to complete 10 miles.
- (6) Slatter Road NW (Cornwallis Road) (south central Durham County)
- Starting point: county line (between Durham and Wake) on
Slatter Road (SR 1974) less than 0.2 miles east of I-540.
- Route: follow Slatter to Emperor Boulevard where you turn
right. Turn left at Page Road and right at the stoplight of ?Imperial
Corners? (still on Page Rd.). Turn right on South Miami. At about the
3-mile mark, turn left onto Cornwallis Rd. Stay on Cornwallis until 10
miles have been completed, skipping as necessary 4-lane stretches. If you
skip a lot, note that Cornwallis Road does a jag at Chapel Hill Road at
- (7) Sherron Road NE (central eastern Durham County)
(formerly Mineral Springs Road NE)
- Starting point: intersection of Mineral Springs Road (SR 1881)
and Sherron Road.
- Route: go northeast on Sherron for 3.0 miles. Turn right on
Route 98 (Old Wake Forest Hwy). Go 0.7 miles (skip this section for
birding) and turn left on Baptist Road. Go 1.9 miles and turn right on
South View Road (SR 1809); it?s gravel. Cross Rt. 98, stay on South View.
Turn left on Kemp Road (SR 1902), right on Carpenter Pond Rd (SR 1901).
Continue until 10 miles are completed.
- (8) Olive Branch Road NW (southeastern Durham County)
- Starting point: intersection of Olive Branch Road and Leesville
- Route: go northwest on Olive Branch Road (SR 1905) for 3.8
miles to Wake
Forest Road (NC 98). Turn left onto 98 for 0.4 miles (skip this section
for birding) and turn right onto Patterson Road (SR 1811) and an immediate
left onto Stallings (SR 1814), which becomes Fletcher?s Chapel Road (SR
1882) and go north until Cheek Road. Cross Cheek Road and Fletcher?s
Chapel Rd. becomes Burton Road. Follow Burton north until crossroads with
Gorman. At Gorman, turn right onto Geer Street. Continue until you