Lighthouses of Anguilla
Anguilla is a self-governing British overseas territory
located in the Leeward Islands at the extreme northeastern corner of
the Caribbean Sea. The population is about 13,500. In the 1960s Anguillans
rebelled against incorporation into the larger colony of St. Kitts-Nevis.
As a result, Britain agreed in 1971 to establish Anguilla under a separate
The territory includes the island of Anguilla and a number of smaller
islands and cays; the most remote of these is Sombrero, 55 km (34 mi)
to the northwest. Though it is a tiny bit of land, Sombrero is important
to navigators because it lies precisely at the point of entry to the Caribbean
for many ships arriving from Europe.
Navigational aids in Anguilla are maintained by the Department of Fisheries
and Marine Resources.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume
J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
- Online List of Lights - Anguilla
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- Lighthouses in Anguilla
- Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
- World of Lighthouses - Anguilla
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
in the Caribbean
- Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
2001 Sombrero Light, Anguilla, October 2009
with bases of the 1962 lighthouse (left) and the 1868 lighthouse (right)
photo copyright Capt. Theo Hinrichs; used by permission
- Sombrero Lighthouses
- Sombrero (1-3)
- 2001 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white
flash every 10 s. Approx. 15 m (50 ft) round tower, painted white. No lantern.
Trabas has Capt. Theo Hinrichs's photo (also seen above), Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a satellite view. A broader satellite
view of the island shows its resemblance
to a broad-brimmed hat. This light station guards the Anegada Passage,
the most important route into the Caribbean from Europe. Sombrero was claimed
by the U.S. in 1856, and an American company arrived to mine the island's
guano deposits. However, in 1867 the U.S. agreed to recognize British sovereignty
over the island. The first lighthouse, shown in a Wikimedia historic
photo, was constructed in the following year. Heavily damaged by Hurricane
Donna in 1960, this historic lighthouse was replaced in 1962 by a 28
m (92 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with square central cylinder,
mounted on a concrete base. The concrete base and keeper's house of the
1962 tower and the ruined base of the 1868 tower remain today. Vince
Cate has a page of 1997 photos of
the island showing the 1962 lighthouse. Lighthouse keepers continued
to live on the island until 2001, when Trinity House, the British lighthouse
service, donated and installed the modern tower. Located on the island
55 km (34 mi) northwest of the main island of Anguilla. Accessible only
by boat. Site open, if you can get to it, tower closed. Site manager: Government
of Anguilla. ARLHS ANG-001; Admiralty J5650; NGA 14712.
Anguilla Island Lightbeacons
- [Windward Point]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 14.5 s. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal mast, painted orange. A photo (almost halfway down the page) and a very distant view from the sea are available, and the small tower is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Located at the east end of Anguilla Island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5656.8; NGA 14722.
- [Road Point]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two flashes every 14 s, white or red depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) light on a triangular platform supported by concrete piles. Lightphotos.net has a photo, but the small light is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located on a prominent cape on the north coast of Anguilla. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5656.5; NGA 14720.
- [Anguillita (2?)]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. The light is described as an aluminum skeletal tower with a red lantern, but a distant view (no longer online) shows a skeletal mast on the island. Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the northern end of a small island just off the western tip of Anguilla Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5656; NGA 14716.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: South: St. Martin | West: British Virgin Islands
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Created December 8, 2005. Checked and revised December 6, 2016. Lighthouses: 3. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University
of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.