- * [Seroe
(Ceru) Colorado (3)]
- Date unknown (station established 1881). Active; focal plane 51 m (167 ft);
white flash every 6 s. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) post light with a square wire cage
enclosure surrounding the beacon. Wikimedia has Serge Melki's photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite
view. The wire enclosure is designed to prevent vandalism of the light.
The original light was on a wood tower, and Huelse has a postcard
view of the second lighthouse, a square masonry tower. Ruins of the second
tower are visible near the present light. Located near the southeastern tip
of the island. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ARU-002;
Admiralty J6368; NGA 15960.
- ** Oranjestad
(Fort Zoutman, Willem III Tower)
- Tower built 1796; station established 1876. Inactive. 5-story square
stone tower; upper third painted white, middle third red, and lower
third blue. A navigational light was formerly displayed from the top
of this historic tower; Huelse has a postcard
view of the tower with its lantern. Ian Sewell's photo is at right, Roger Wollstadt has a 2008 photo,
another 2008 photo is available, Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite
view. Restored in 1983, the tower now houses the Historical
Museum of Aruba. Located at Zoutman and Oranje Streets in downtown
Oranjestad, one block from the waterfront. Site and tower open daily.
Site manager: Fundacion Museo Arubano. ARLHS ARU-004.
- * Noordwestpunt
- 1916. Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft). 30 m (98 ft) stone tower
with lantern and double gallery, on an octagonal stone base. Lighthouse
unpainted, lantern painted black. The 1-story keeper's house has been
greatly expanded into a popular Italian restaurant with a multilingual
name, La Trattoria el
Faro Blanco. Deta Rogillio's photo is above, a November 2009 photo is
Trabas has a photo by Douglas Cameron, Wikimedia has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite
view. The lighthouse is nicknamed for the British steamship California,
which wrecked here in 1891. Around 2000 visitors reported the
lighthouse to be in poor condition, but by 2004 it had been repainted
and repaired. The nearby disappearance in 2005 of the young U.S.
visitor Natalie Holloway made the lighthouse familiar to Americans; Mark Richards has a photo of one of the search parties near the lighthouse.
Holloway was never found. Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to Monuments Fund Aruba in January 2015, and the foundation began a project to restore the lighthouse thoroughly in September 2015. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) southeast of the northern point of
the island. Accessible by paved road. Site open, tower closed during the restoration project.
Owner/site manager: Monuments Fund Aruba. ARLHS ARU-001; Admiralty J6330; NGA 15850.
Willem III Tower, Oranjestad, 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Ian Sewell