Lighthouses of Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda is an independent nation in the Leeward
Islands, located near the northeastern corner of the Caribbean Sea. Discovered
by Columbus in 1493, Antigua was originally settled by the Spanish but
became a British colony in 1632. The country has been independent since
1981. The population is roughly 95,000, and in recent years the islands
have become a very popular tourist destination. The two lighthouses,
however, seem almost unknown to tourists.
Aids to navigation in Antigua and Barbuda are maintained by the Antigua
and Barbuda Port Authority, an agency of the Ministry of Transportation
and the Environment.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume
J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
- Our World Lighthouses
- Photos and information posted by Douglas Cameron.
List of Lights - Antigua
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Mittelamerikas und der Karibik auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
- Sandy Island Lighthouse
- 1939 (station established 1875). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); one long
(1.5 s) white flash every 15 s. 16 m (52 ft) aluminum skeletal tower with
gallery; the lantern has been removed. The lantern was removed sometime after
Ted Smith's 2006 photo
and before Cameron's December 2007 photo. Trabas has Arno Siering's distant view, Huelse
has a historic postcard
view of the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite
view. The original lighthouse was a 16 m (52 ft) triangular wood skeletal
tower. After suffering damage from several hurricanes, it was replaced by
a more substantial 17 m (56 ft) wood skeletal tower in 1882. Located on a
low island about 8 km (5 mi) west of the harbor of St. John's,
Antigua. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ANT-001;
Admiralty J5690; NGA 14768.
St. John's Light, December 2007
photo copyright Douglas Cameron;
used by permission
- Antigua Lighthouses
- Pillar Rock
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); green flash every 4 s. Light mounted on a 1-story concrete building. Trabas has Arno Siering's photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory on the northwest coast of Antigua, about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of the St. John's waterfront. Site status unknown. ARLHS ANT-002;
Admiralty J5694; NGA 14772.
- * Danish Motorfyrskib IV Black Swan
- 1920. Decommissioned around 1970. 20.4 m (67
ft) wood lightship, now rigged as a 2-masted ship. Vessel painted black with
white trim. A photo
is available. This ship started life as the lightship Halskov Rev. After deactivation, she was sold and converted to a tall ship named Rana and berthed
at Hadsund, Denmark. (The light tower and lantern were removed and are displayed at the
Motorbadsklub in Copenhagen.) In 2005, the ship was sold again and sailed to Antigua,
where it appears as a tourist attraction, a faux pirate ship named the Black
Swan. The ship is available for day cruises, weddings,
and private charters. When in port, it is moored on the St. John's waterfront.
Vessel open to paying customers. Owner/site manager: Pirates
of Antigua, Ltd.
- * St. John's
- Around 1905 (?). Intended as a lighthouse, but never activated. Approx.
12 m (39 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with
red and white horizontal bands. Douglas Cameron's photo appears above,
a 2008 photo
is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Ad. Hovestadt visited the light in November 2004 and found
it "in a very sorry state" with the "iron steps ... on the
verge of collapse." The situation may not be much better today, but it does appear that the lighthouse was repainted. This light was apparently built as part of a project
to develop a large sugar refinery near St. John's. It was intended as the
rear light of a range, but it proved to be in the wrong position for that
purpose, and it was never commissioned. Located on a hill several blocks from the waterfront
of St. John's; the lighthouse is behind Island Motors, an auto
dealership on Independence Street just south of the Queen Elizabeth Highway. Site open, tower closed. Site
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted December 8, 2005. Checked and revised November 23, 2013.
Lighthouses: 3; lightships: 1. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University
of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.