Lighthouses of Portugal: Azores

The Azores (Açores in Portuguese) are an archipelago of nine volcanic islands in the Atlantic Ocean roughly 1500 km (900 miles) west of Lisbon. The islands fall naturally into three groups: Santa Maria and São Miguel in the east; Faial, Pico, São Jorge, Graciosa, and Terceira in the center; and Corvo and Flores in the west. Corvo and Flores are peaks of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which reaches the surface in only a few places. The Azores were discovered by Portuguese explorers in the 1430s, and Portuguese settlers began arriving in 1439. Administratively, the islands are organized as an autonomous region of Portugal.

The Portuguese word for a lighthouse is farol, plural faróis. Lighthouses in Portugal are owned by the navy (Marinha de Portugal) and operated by the navy's lighthouse directorate (Direcção de Faróis). In 2013, the Navy announced an open-house program that opens the major lighthouses on Wednesday afternoons.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. PT numbers are from the Portuguese Navy list, as recorded by Portuguese Wikipedia. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Azores
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in the Azores
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia. These photos are from the Portuguese edition of Wikipedia; see its index of articles Faróis de Portugal - Açores.
World of Lighthouses - Portugal
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Azores Island Lighthouses and Beacons
Sample photos from a book by Eduardo Furtado.
Leuchttürme Portugals auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images collected by Klaus Huelse.

Carpacho Light
Carapacho Light, Ilha Graciosa, July 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Angrense

Ilha de Santa Maria Lighthouses
Note: Santa Maria is the southernmost island of the Azores. Geologically the oldest of the islands, it is less mountainous than the others. The permanent population is about 5500, most living in Vila do Porto.
Ilhéus Formigas
1948. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 19 m (62 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Tim Bergman has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The Ilhéus Formigas (formigas means "ants" in Portuguese) are small rocky islets located about 45 km (28 mi) northeast of the Ilha de Santa Maria. A lighthouse was proposed as early as 1883, but the difficulties of building on these remote rocks was too great. The task was finally done in a remarkable 36-day project in the summer of 1948. Located on the largest of the islets, a rock about 180 m by 40 m (roughly 200 yd by 40 yd). Inaccessible. Site and tower closed. ARLHS AZO-001; Admiralty D2638; NGA 23704.
** Gonçalo Velho (Ponta do Castelo)
1927. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); three white flashes every 13.5 s. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Building painted white, lantern red. A photo by Carlos da Cruz is at right, Trabas has a photo of the lighthouse in action, Lightphotos.net has a good photo, a nice 2007 photo is available, Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The keeper's complex was expanded in 1934 and again in 1955. Gonçalo Velho Cabral, one of the explorers dispatched by Prince Henry the Navigator, spotted the Formigas rocks in 1431 and returned in 1432 to discover the Ilha de Santa Maria at this spot. He has long been celebrated as the discoverer of the Azores, although recently historians have confirmed that Santa Maria was spotted in 1427 by Diogo de Silves. Located atop the Ponta do Castelo, a spectacular promontory at the southeastern tip of the Ilha de Santa Maria. Site and tower generally closed, but open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-009; PT-680; Admiralty D2632; NGA 23664.

Gonçalo Velho Light, Santa Maria, January 2008
Wikimedia public domain photo by Carlos Luis M.C. da Cruz
* Vila do Porto (Molehead)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Mário Nelson has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Vila do Porto, on the southwestern side of the Ilha de Santa Maria, is the only protected harbor on the island. Located at the end of the breakwater mole of Vila do Porto. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-030; Admiralty D2635.3; NGA 23670.
Ponta do Malmerendo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) square tower with gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim. Nuno Sousa has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a promontory on the west side of the entrance to the harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty D2636; NGA 23668.

Ilha de São Miguel Lighthouses
Note: The Ilha de São Miguel is the largest island of the Azores, roughly 90 km (56 mi) long and 15 km (9 mi) wide. Ponta Delgada, the principal town, is also the largest town in the islands. The population of the island is about 140,000.
** Ponta do Arnel
1876. Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); white flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's house. 3rd order Fresnel lens. Building painted white; lantern painted red. A photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a closeup, Luis Praia Meco has also posted a fine closeup, Carlos Bettencourt has an excellent view of the light station, Patrick Larrede has a photo, Wikimedia has additional photos, and Google has a satellite view. This was first lighthouse built in the Azores; it is the traditional landfall light for ships arriving from mainland Portugal. The keeper's complex was greatly expanded in 1929. Located at the eastern tip of the Ilha de São Miguel; accessible by a paved but challenging road. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-004; PT-604; Admiralty D2640; NGA 23636.
** Ponta Garça
1957. Active; focal plane 101 m (331 ft); light 2 s on, 3 s off, white or red depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with eight ribs, lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's complex. The tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern dome painted red. J. Fernando has a photo, Wikimedia has Marco Abreu's photo, Lightphotos.net has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located at Ponta Garça on the south side of the island, about 40 km (25 mi) east of Ponta Delgada. Accessible by road. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-012; PT-606; Admiralty D2642; NGA 23628.
* Varadouro (Vila Franca do Campo) (?)
Date unknown. Inactive since 2007. Round cylindrical tower mounted on a waterfront building. No photo available; it's possible this light has been removed. Located directly on the waterfront of Vila Franca do Campo, a village about 32 km (20 mi) east of Ponta Delgada. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-023; ex-Admiralty D2643.4; ex-NGA 23616.
* Ponta Delgada Breakwater (2)
Date unknown (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red light, 2 s on, 1 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. ARLHS has a photo, Duarte Sousa has a good closeup, the light is featured on a 1996 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, a cast iron tourelle; it was destroyed by a storm in 1942. Located at the end of the breakwater at Ponta Delgada. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-029; Admiralty D2647; NGA 23584.
Ponta do Arnel Light
Ponta do Arnel Light, São Miguel, July 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Crosa
* Santa Clara
1945 (with an 1886 lantern). Active; focal plane 27 m (88 ft); white light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 8 m (26 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. Filipe Franco has a good photo, ARLHS also has a closeup photo, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Lightphotos.net has a photo, the light is featured on a 1996 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. After the original Ponta Delgada light was destroyed (see previous entry), this lantern was brought from the 1886 Torre de Belem lighthouse in Lisbon. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the lantern in Lisbon. Located inside a square concrete enclosure on a promontory 800 m (1/2 mi) west of the Ponta Delgada waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-021; PT-717; Admiralty D2654; NGA 23580.
** Ferraria (Ponta da Ferraria)
1901. Active; focal plane 107 m (351 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Building painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern dome painted red. Luis Silveira's photo is at right, Trabas has a fine panoramic view, Wikimedia has several photos, ARLHS has an excellent closeup photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This handsome lighthouse stands at the western tip of the Ilha de São Miguel. Located atop a cliff near Ginetes; accessible by road. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-008; PT-719; Admiralty D2655; NGA 23568.
* Rabo de Peixe
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 59 m (194 ft); green light occulting once every 4 s. 28 m (92 ft) square masonry tower of a church, the Igreja do Bom Jesus. Ruben Farias has a view from the sea, the light can be seen on the gallery railing at the top of the tower in Vitor Oliveira's closeup, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located overlooking the sea in the village of Rabo de Peixe about 5 km (3 mi) west of Ribeira Grande on the north coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D2657; NGA 23652.
** Ponta do Cintrão
1957. Active; focal plane 118 m (387 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with eight ribs, lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's complex. Tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern dome painted red. Sibling of the Ponta Garça Light (see above). Gilda Pontes has posted a good photo, Wikimedia has Luis Silveira's closeup photo, ARLHS has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a peninsula on the central north coast of the island, about 4 km (2.5 mi) northeast of Ribeira Grande. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-017; PT-726; Admiralty D2659; NGA 23640.
Farol da Ferraria
Ferraria Light, São Miguel, August 2008
Wikimedia public domain photo by Luis Silveira

Ilha Terceira Lighthouses
Note: Terceira ("Third") was apparently the third island to be discovered. Many Americans know it as the location of Lajes Field, a NATO/U.S. Air Force Base. The island has a permanent population of about 56,000.
Praia da Vitória South Mole
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with eight ribs, painted white with narrow horizontal red bands. A photo and an aerial view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the rubblestone south mole at Praia da Vitória on the east side of the Ilha de Terceira. Accessible only by boat, but there are good views from shore. Site and tower closed. ARLHS AZO-027; Admiralty D2662.5; NGA 23525.
** Ponta das Contendas
1934. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); four flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's complex. Lighthouse painted white; lantern painted red. A photo is at right, a 2008 photo is available, the light is featured on a 1996 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. The 75th anniversary of the light station was celebrated in 2009. Located at the southeastern tip of the Ilha de Terceira. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-007; PT-745; Admiralty D2664; NGA 23532.
* Angra do Heroísmo Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); red flash every 4 s. 20 m (66 ft) square church tower, painted light blue and white. The light is said to be mounted on the east tower of the Igreja (church) da Misericórdia. A closeup of the facade is available, but the light cannot be seen. Maria Ferreira has a 2009 photo, and the church is centered in a Google satellite view. The rear light is supposedly on a "yellow metal structure," 140 m (460 ft) northwest. This could be the Obelisco da Memória, a yellow and white memorial obelisk on the hill behind the town: but again no light can be seen in the photo. Located in downtown Angra do Heroísmo, on the central southern coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D2666.2; NGA 23544.

Ponta das Contendas Light, Terceira, June 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Carlos Luis M.C. da Cruz
* Serrata (Ponta da Queimado, Ponta da Serrata) (3)
2009 (?) (station established 1908). Active; focal plane 95 m (312 ft); white flash every 6 s. 14 m (46 ft) round fiberglass tower, flared at the top, colored with red and white horizontal bands. Google has a satellite view of the station. Lighthouse Explorer has a photo by Jim Crockett of the original lighthouse at Serrata, which was was destroyed by an earthquake in 1980. The Navy then relocated to this station a historic cast iron tourelle from Cacilhas, across the Tagus from Lisbon. A 2002 photo shows the relocated lighthouse, and Wikipedia has a 2007 photo. Residents of Cacilhas stubbornly protested the removal of their lighthouse, and their requests took hold after the lighthouse was deactivated in 2004. In 2007 the Navy agreed to return the lighthouse, and on 18 July 2009 ceremonies were held celebrating its reinstallation. Located on the Ponta da Queimado, a steep promontory at the northwestern tip of the island. Site status unknown, probably open; tower closed. ARLHS AZO-022; PT-760; Admiralty D2668; NGA 23504.

Ilha Graciosa Lighthouses
Note: Graciosa is the northernmost of the central group of islands. Only 10 km (6 mi) long and 7 km (4.4 mi) wide, it has a population of about 4500.
** Ponta da Barca
1930. Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white flash every 7 s. 23 m (75 ft) round concrete (?) tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's complex. Lighthouse painted with horizontal black and white bands, lantern painted red. A photo is at right, Mário Silva has a sunset photo, Wikimedia has Luis Silveira's more distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This is the tallest lighthouse of the Azores. The light station was repaired after being damaged by a severe thunderstorm in 1978. Located on a sharp rocky promontory at the northwestern tip of the island, about 7 km (4.5 mi) west of Santa Cruz da Graciosa. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-011; PT-797; Admiralty D2676; NGA 23500.
* Fort do Santo (Santa Cruz da Graciosa)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); red flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) ladder-like skeletal tower attached to the front of a small equipment shed. Entire structure painted red. 1-story stone building, presumably used as a keeper's house. Wikimedia has Luis Silveira's photo, and the lighthouse is centered in a Google satellite view. Located in Santa Cruz da Graciosa, on the north coast of the island. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty D2674; NGA 23488.
* [Vila do Praia Molehead]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); green flash every 3 s. 4 m (13 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with green and white horizontal bands. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at Vila do Praia, a picturesque village on the east coast of Graciosa. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D2672.5.
** Carapacho (Ponta do Carapacho)
1956. Active; focal plane 191 m (627 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with eight ribs, lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's complex. Tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern dome painted red. A photo is at the top of this page, Tony Ventura has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Ponta Garça and Ponta do Cintrão Lights on the Ilha de São Miguel. Located on the Ponta do Carapacho, the southeastern tip of the island. Accessible by road. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-006; PT-792; Admiralty D2670; NGA 23484.
Ponta da Barca Light
Ponta da Barca Light, Graciosa, July 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Angrense

Ilha de São Jorge Lighthouses
Note: São Jorge is 53 km (33 mi) long but only 8 km (5 mi) wide, with rugged coasts. Its population is about 10,500.
** Ponta do Topo
1927. Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Building painted white with black trim, lantern red. The original 3rd order Fresnel lens was removed after being damaged in an earthquake in 1980. A photo is at right, Ana Nunes Pedro has a photo, and Ariadna Bach has a 2011 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. A Fresnel lens from this lighthouse is on display at the Museu do Marinha (Navy Museum) in Lisbon. Located at the eastern tip of the island; accessible by road. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-018; PT-772; Admiralty D2680; NGA 23480.
* #Calheta Pierhead (1)
Date unknown. Replaced. Formerly a 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. A distant photo is available. An aerial photo by Herberto Terra reveals that the active light (focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 3 s) is on a post; that light is inconspicuous in a Google satellite view. The replacement appears to have been in connection with reconstruction of the breakwater. Located on the waterfront of Calheta, on the south coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D2681.2; NGA 23477.
* Cais das Velas (Velas Wharf)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Paulo de Carvalho has a photo, Lourenço Domingos has a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main pier on the waterfront of Velas, on the southwest coast of the island. Admiralty D2682.2; NGA 23456.
* Velas Anchorage Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); red light occulting once every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) chapel, the Ermida do Livramento; the light is mounted near the peak of the facade. The chapel is painted white with black trim. A photo shows the light in action, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of Velas. Admiralty D2682.5; NGA 23464.
Ponta do Topo Light
Ponta do Topo Light, São Jorge, June 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Angrense
* Ponta dos Rosais
1958. Reactivated (inactive 1982-2005(?)); focal plane 259 m (850 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 27 m (89 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with eight ribs and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's complex. Lantern removed. The building is unpainted white concrete. Laurenço Domingos has a 2008 closeup photo, a distant view is available, Wikimedia has several photos, there are two photos of the lighthouse in silhouette, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The latter two silhouetted photos are captioned "Farol Inactivo dos Rosais." However, in Domingos's photo we see a light displayed from a short mast atop the capped tower, and the Admiralty Notices to Mariners for 10 January 2006 announced a light at Ponta dos Rosais. According to the Portuguese Wikipedia article, the light station was abandoned for short time after a great earthquake in 1964. It was automated in 1980, but left inactive after being knocked out of service by a lightning strike in 1982. Located atop the Ponta dos Rosais, a spectacular, needle-sharp point at the western end of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-019; Admiralty D2683; NGA 23448.

Ilha do Pico Lighthouses
Note: Pico is dominated by (and named for) a beautiful conical volcano that last erupted in 1720. The volcano has an elevation of 2351 m (7713 ft). It is the highest point in Portugal and the highest elevation of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. The island, known for its vineyards, has a population of about 15,000.
** Ponta da Ilha
1946. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) robust square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's house complex. Building painted white with dark brown trim; lantern painted red. A photo is at right, another good photo is available, also a second photo, there is a closeup of the lantern, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the eastern tip of the island. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-013; PT-814; Admiralty D2690; NGA 23404.
Ponta do São Mateus
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete (?) tower with gallery, mounted on a circular concrete base. The lantern has been removed. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red. Felipe Brandão has a closeup photo, and Google has a good satellite view. Amateur radio operator CS5E has posted a small photo showing the lantern. Located on a promontory about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) southeast of São Mateus on the southwest coast of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS AZO-024; Admiralty D2691; NGA 23380.
* Madalena North Mole
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light occulting once every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Brian Richards has a closeup photo, Duarte Sousa has a nice view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater on the waterfront of Madalena, near the northwestern tip of the island. Good view from ferries arriving from Horta on Faial. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-028; Admiralty D2687.2; NGA 23360.

Ilha do Faial Lighthouses
Note: The island of Faial (often spelled Fayal in English) is the top of an active volcano and has been the site of many earthquakes. Both of the traditional light stations on the island have been destroyed by this restless geology. The population of the island is a little less than 10,000.
* Ribeirinha (1)
1919. Inactive since 1998. 14 m (46 ft) square masonry tower with gallery, formerly attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lantern removed. The building was painted white with unpainted stone trim; the base of the former lantern is still painted red. João Gandra has an excellent closeup, a second photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Damaged by an earthquake in 1973, and then severely damaged by another earthquake on 9 July 1998, the lighthouse now stands uneasily amid the ruins of the keeper's house. Wikimedia has a 1996 photo showing the lighthouse before the earthquake. The active light (three white flashes every 20 s) is on a metal post at a focal plane of 132 m (433 ft). A preservation group, Amigos do Farol da Ribeirinha, is working for restoration and reactivation of the lighthouse, and there was some work in 2009 to clear some of the debris from the site. Artifacts from the lighthouse, including portions of the Fresnel lens, are on display at the Ribeirinha town hall. Located about 3 km (2 mi) east of Ribeirinha at the northeastern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-020; PT-854; Admiralty D2692; NGA 23344.
Ponta da Ilha Light
Ponta da Ilha Light, Pico, September 2013
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Franzfoto
* Horta Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red flash every 3 s. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower with enclosed watch room, lantern, and gallery, mounted a large circular concrete pier at the end of the breakwater. Tower painted white, lantern red. Pedro Fonseca has a photo, Irmãos Bicudo has a photo, Steve Arnold has a nice panoramic view with Pico in the background, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater at Horta, the principal port of Faial, near the southeastern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-026; Admiralty D2694; NGA 23320.
* Vale Formoso
Late 1950s. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); two long (2 s) white flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with gallery and a small modern lantern. Lighthouse painted white; lantern and gallery rail are red. A 2012 photo is available, and Jack Dodge has posted a good photo, but Google has only a very distant satellite view of this area. This plain modern lighthouse was built to replace the destroyed Capelinhos lighthouse, which is about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northwest. Located near Capelo on the south side of the island's western peninsula. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AZO-025; PT-868; Admiralty D2699; NGA 23348.
**** Capelinhos (Ponta dos Capelinhos)
1903. Inactive since 1957. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. Lantern removed. Guillaume Baviere's photo is at right, Ulrich Thumult has a photo, Jack Dodge has posted a good photo, Wikimedia has several additional photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Built to mark the western tip of Faial, the lighthouse was swamped by volcanic ash in a volcanic eruption that began on 16 September 1957. The eruption began offshore and eventually extended the island westward about 1 km (0.6 m). The first floor of the building remains buried in ash. In 2005, the Azores government announced plans to develop a visitor center and museum at the abandoned light station. The replica lantern was installed early in 2006, and in August 2008 a modern visitor center opened in a new building near the lighthouse. The eruption area is protected as a regional natural monument. Located about 2 km (1.2 mi) northwest of Capelo. Site open, visitor center open daily year around, tower open to guided tours. Site manager: Centro de Interpretação do Vulcão dos Capelinhos. ARLHS AZO-033.
Capelinhos Light
Ponta dos Capelinhos Light, Faial, July 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Guillaume Baviere

Ilha das Flores Lighthouses
Note: Flores and Corvo, the westernmost islands of the Azores, are actually located on the North American Plate. Flores is much the larger of the two. Named and known for its flowers, the island has a population of about 3900.
** Lajes (Ponta das Lajes)
1910. Active; focal plane 99 m (325 ft); four white flashes every 28 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a long 1-story keeper's house. 2nd order (?) Fresnel lens. Building painted white with a red tile roof; lantern painted red. A photo is at right, another good photo is available, João Paulino also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is the landfall light for ships arriving in Flores from Portugal. Located atop a vertical cliff at the southeastern point of the island, about 1 km (0.6 mi) south of Lajes das Flores. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-015; PT-877; Admiralty D2704; NGA 23288.
** Ponta do Albarnaz
1925. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. 2nd order Fresnel lens. Building painted white; lantern painted red. João Paulino has a good photo, Francisco M S Botelho has a closeup of the lantern, a closeup of the lantern is available, Huelse has a historic photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a vertical cliff at the northwestern point of the island, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Ponta Delgada. Site open, lighthouse open on Wednesday afternoons. ARLHS AZO-016; PT-878; Admiralty D2708; NGA 23316.

Ponta das Lajes Light, Flores, June 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Dreizung

Ilha do Corvo Lighthouses
Note: Smallest and northernmost of the Azores, Corvo is about 35 km (22 mi) north northeast of Flores. The population of this rarely-visited island is a little less than 500.
* Ponta Negra
1910. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white flash every 5 s. 4 m (13 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower, painted white. Maria Ana Dionisio has a photo, Geraldo Salamão has a second photo, Marco Pinto has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. There are two old windmills (moinhos) near the lighthouse. Located at the southern point of the island, adjacent to the island's airstrip. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D2712; NGA 23280.
[Canto da Carneira (2)]
2002 (station established 1965). Active; focal plane 238 m (781 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. A photo is available. Amateur radio operator CT1BWW has posted a small photo of the earlier light. Located at the northeastern point of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS AZO-005; Admiralty D2714; NGA 23284.
 

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Southern Portugal | South: Madeira

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 29, 2005. Checked and revised January 2, 2014. Lighthouses: 34. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.