Lighthouses of Benin
Benin is a West African nation wedged between Togo and
Nigeria. Under French colonial rule it was called Dahomey, the name of
a prominent African kingdom, but it assumed the name Benin when it became
independent in 1960. Most of the country is in the interior; the sandy
coastline is only about 120 km (75 mi) in length. The country has no natural
harbors, and the artificially protected harbor of Cotonou is its only port.
Aids to navigation in Benin are maintained by the Port
Autonome de Cotonou.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 113.
Port de Cotonou logo and image
- General Sources
- World of Lighthouses - Benin
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
- Online List of Lights - Togo and Benin
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
- Postcards from the collection of Klaus Huelse.
Cotonou Light, August 2011
Panoramio photo (no longer online) copyright J.P. Honkoop; used by permission
* Cotonou (3)
- 1968 (station established 1910). Active; focal plane 31 m
(102 ft); white flash every 5 s. 26 m (85 ft) square skeletal tower supporting a lantern centered on a square water tank. Entire structure painted a dark gray. The photo of the top
of the current tower (shown above left) is from the former home page of the port
authority. J.P. Honkoop's view of the lighthouse is above right, a distant view
is available (the lighthouse is in the distance on the right), and Google
has a satellite
view (look for the shadow in the center of the view). The first
lighthouse, a shorter tower of focal plane 16 m (52 ft), had an unusual
Art Nouveau design and was located at the foot of the main pier of the
harbor. It is shown in a postcard
view posted by Klaus Huelse and another postcard view on Lightphotos.net. The second lighthouse
was a hexagonal skeletal tower built in 1928; it is shown in a postcard view contributed by Michel Forand to Lighthouse Digest and in a closeup postcard view posted by Lightphotos.net. The lantern of the 1928 tower was moved atop the water tower in 1968. The Fresnel lens of the lighthouse, which originally rotated on a mercury bath, has been replaced by a modern Tideland TRB 400 rotating lens. Located about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) northeast of the
harbor breakwaters. Site status unknown, probably open but local guidance is recommended; tower closed.
ARLHS BEN-001; Admiralty D3178; NGA 113-24952.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: East: Nigeria | West: Togo
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted September 30, 2005. Checked and revised January 17, 2018.
Lighthouses: 1. Site copyright 2018 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.