Lighthouses of Spain: Balearic Islands

The Balearic Islands form an archipelago in the Mediterranean off the east coast of Spain. Mallorca (Mallorca) is by far the largest of the islands; the other principal islands are Minorca (Menorca) to the northeast and Ibiza and Formentera to the southwest. The islands were conquered by the Kingdom of Aragon and have been part of Spain for several centuries. The Catalan language is spoken, and the islands are known officially by their Catalan name, Illes Balears. In the 20th century, the Balearics became very popular resort destinations.

A lighthouse is called a far in Catalan (or faro in Spanish), but the use of these words is generally restricted to the larger coastal light stations. Smaller lighthouses are called balisas (beacons) in Catalan (balizas in Spanish). The navigational lights of Spain are regulated at the national level by the Comisíon de Faros, but they are operated and maintained by regional port authorities. The Balearics have their own port authority, the Autoritat Portuària de Balears.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. ES numbers are from the Spanish national list of lights, Libro de Faros. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Libro de Faros y Señales de Niebla
Online edition of the official Spanish light list.
Historia de los Faros
Fact sheets on the major lighthouses, with historical information, posted by the national port authority Puertos de España.
Online List of Lights - Islas Baleares
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Fars de Balears
An outstanding and comprehensive web site, with versions in English as well as Spanish and Catalan.
Ports de Balears - Aids to Navigation
Lighthouse information posted in English by the Autoritat Portuària de Balears.
Photos by faros@portsdebalears
A Panoramio.com portfolio of lighthouse photos posted by the port authority.
Leuchttürme.net - Islas Baleares
Photos of Mallorca lighthouses posted by Malte Werning.
Faros de las Islas Baleares
Photos by Laure Chappuis, posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller.
Lighthouses in Balearic Islands
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses in Spain
Fine aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Leuchttürme Spaniens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Far de Cap Formentor
Cap Formentor Light, Mallorca, April 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Angie and Chris Pye

Formentera Lighthouses

Note: Formentera, the smallest of the four major islands, is located at the southwestern end of the archipelago about 6 km (3.5 mi) south of Ibiza. The island is 19 km (12 mi) in length and has a permanent population of about 7500. There is no airport, so all visitors must arrive by boat; ferry service is available from Ibiza.
* Formentera (Sa Mola, La Mola)
1861. Active; focal plane 142 m (466 ft); white flash every 5 s. 22 m (72 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. Carlos Mejía's photo is at right, Trabas has Alfonso Biescas Vignau's closeup, a fine view from the sea is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse stands at the eastern tip of the island and is an important guide for ships passing to the south of the islands; it has a listed range of 23 nautical miles (42.5 km, 26.5 mi). The lighthouse still has its original Henry Lepaute lantern. "Sa Mola" is a roughly circular plateau that forms the eastern portion of Formentera and is connected to the main part of the island by a sandy isthmus. Accessible by road; parking provided. Located about 15 km (9 mi) east of the town of Formentera; accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-047; ES-32700; Admiralty E0250; NGA 4744.
* Cap Barbaria (Cabo Barbaria, Cabo Berberia)
1972. Active; focal plane 78 m (256 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a circular 1-story equipment room. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. A photo taken from the sea shows the situation of the lighthouse atop a sheer, barren cliff. José Téllez has a good photo, Trabas has Alfonso Biescas Vignau's closeup, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the southwestern tip of the island, about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of the town of Formentera; accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-013; ES-32750; Admiralty E0251; NGA 4748.
* La Savina (Cala Sabina)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); four white flashes every 16 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower centered on a circular 1-story white concrete equipment room. Access to the light is by an external stairway that spirals around the tower. Trabas has Alfonso Biescas Vignau's closeup, Chris Rivers has a 2009 photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the point at the west side of the entrance to the harbor of La Savina, the only port of Formentera. Good views from ferries arriving from Ibiza. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-011; ES-32800; Admiralty E0252; NGA 4752.
Illa d'en Pou (Isla de los Puercos)
1864 (Emilio Pou). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 20 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. 1-story abandoned masonry keeper's house. A good view from the sea is available, Trabas has a photo, the port authority has an aerial photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Los Puercos are no-goods, scoundrels. Keepers were at the mercy of the sea on this exposed island, and in 1913 a storm destroyed the keeper's house, although the keepers were saved. Located on an islet off the northernmost point of Formentera. Accessible only by boat; there are excellent views from ferries between the two islands. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parc Naturel de ses Salines. ARLHS BAL-039; ES-32580; Admiralty E0254; NGA 4772.

Sa Mola Light, Formentera, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Carlos Mejía Greene
Illa Espardell
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); three white flashes every 7.5 s. 16 m (52 ft) round stone tower, rising from a round 1-story stone equipment room. Access to the light is by an external stairway that spirals around the tower. Lighthouse painted white. A closeup is available, Stéphane François has a view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. This light shares its design with the Savina light (see above). Located on the northern tip of the Isla Espardell, an island about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of the northernmost point of Formentera. Accessible only by boat, and the island is a protected nature reserve. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Parc Naturel de ses Salines. ARLHS BAL-041; ES-32600; Admiralty E0256; NGA 4768.

Eivissa (Ibiza) Lighthouses

Note: Eivissa, known as Ibiza in Spanish and sometimes as Iviza in English, is a popular resort island with a permanent population of more than 100,000. The island has an international airport with flights from many of the larger cities of Europe.
Sant Josep de sa Talaia (Southwest Coast) Lighthouses
Illa des Penjats (Islote Ahorcados, Los Freus, Freu Grande)
1861. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft), white light occulting three times, in a 1+2 pattern, every 14 s. 20 m (66 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Carlos Mejía's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, the port authority has an aerial photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse and the Far d'en Pou (see above) guide ships on the difficult passage between Formentera and Ibiza; the two islands are joined by a barely-submerged ridge that emerges in several islets. Located on an islet about 1.8 km (2.1 mi) south of the southernmost point of Ibiza. Accessible only by boat; there are excellent views from ferries between the two islands. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-001; ES-32520; Admiralty E0260; NGA 4780.
Bleda Plana
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a circular 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. M. Carmen has a photo, Trabas has a view from the sea by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, the port authority has an aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. In December 2009, a helicopter was used to install a new lantern. Located on a small island off the westernmost point of Ibiza, about 5 km (3 mi) west southwest of the Conillera lighthouse (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BAL-007; ES-32360; Admiralty E0276; NGA 4788.
Far de's Penjats
Illa des Penjats Light, Sant Josep de sa Talaia, September 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Carlos Mejía Greene
Conillera (Isla Conejera)
1857. Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 17 m (56 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a circular 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. Antón Dunyó has a photo, Trabas has a view from the sea by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, the Degree Confluence Project has a photo taken from the sea by Capt. Peter Mosselberger, the port authority has an aerial photo, there's another view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lantern was replaced in 1971, when the lighthouse was automated. The Isla Conillera ("Rabbit Island") lies off the westernmost point of Ibiza, so this lighthouse acts as the landfall light for ships arriving from mainland Spain. Located atop a high cliff on the northwestern coast of the island. Accessible only by boat and a hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-030; ES-32410; Admiralty E0274; NGA 4784.

Sant Antoni de Portmany (West Coast) Lighthouse
* Covas Blancas (Sant Antoni de Portmany)
1897 (Eusebio Estrada). Inactive since sometime between 1956 and 1977. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal masonry tower with gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lantern has been removed. A closeup photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a aerial view. In 2006 the port authority transferred the lighthouse to the city of Sant Antoni de Portmany for conversion to a maritime museum. More information is needed. Located at the west end of Carrer des Far in Sant Antoni de Portmany, on the west coast of Ibiza. Site open, building status unknown. ARLHS BAL-096.

Sant Joan de Labritja (North Coast) Lighthouses
* Punta Moscarter (Moscarté)
1977. Active; focal plane 93 m (305 ft); white flash every 5 s. 52 m (171 ft) round cylindrical concrete lighthouse with lantern and double gallery, painted with black and white spiral bands. An aerial photo is at right, another photo is available, Geoff Graber has a more distant photo, Trabas has a view from the sea by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the northernmost tip of Ibiza. The lighthouse is within about 1200 m (3/4 mi) of Cala de Portinatx, and apparently it is accessible by hiking from the town along the bluffs. Site and tower closed. ARLHS BAL-068; ES-31900; Admiralty E0270; NGA 4804.
Far de Moscarter
Punta Moscarter Light, Sant Joan de Labritja, 2010
Ports de Baleares photo
Punta Grossa
1870. Inactive since 1914. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. The buildings are now in ruins. A photo and several 2009 photos are available, and Bing has a good satellite view. The lighthouse was difficult to reach and to supply, so it was replaced by a new lighthouse on the Isla Tagomago (next entry). With its lantern, the tower was originally 15 m (49 ft) tall. Located at the tip of a very sharp promontory at the northeastern tip of Ibiza. Accessible by a fairly strenuous hiking trail from Cala Sant Vicent. Site open, tower status unknown.
Isla Tagomago
1914 (modified in 1975). Active; focal plane 86 m (282 ft); three flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 30 s, white or red depending on direction (red flashes are shown over a narrow sector to the southwest). 23 m (75 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to two 1-story keeper's houses. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim. Two small photos and a 2007 closeup are available, Marinas.com has good aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse replaced an earlier lighthouse at Punta Grossa on the mainland. The tower was increased in height by 8 m (26 ft) in 1975, and the double galleries were added at that time. Tagomago is an island just off the northeastern corner of Ibiza, and the lighthouse is important in guiding ships arriving in Ibiza from Mallorca. The island is privately owned and is available for rent by the week (the whole island, that is). Located on the southeastern tip of the island. Site open only to paying guests, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-072; ES-31950; Admiralty E0268; NGA 4800.

Eivissa (Ibiza) City Lighthouses
Botafoc (Islote Botafoch)
1861. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white or red light depending on direction, 5 s on, 2 s off; red light is shown over a narrow sector to the southeast. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern is gray metallic. 2-story assistant keeper's house. Enrique Ayesta Perojo's photo is at right, Miguel Ramirez has a photo, another good photo and a 2008 closeup photo are available, Trabas has a distant view across the harbor, the port authority has an aerial photo, Bing has an aerial view, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Fires to guide sailors were lit at this location in antiquity, and in fact "Botafoc" means "fire coming out." Located on a small islet, now connected to the mainland by a causeway, on the north side of the entrance to the harbor of Eivissa (Ibiza). The causeway is closed to the public, but there is an excellent view of the lighthouse from ferries arriving in Ibiza. Site and tower closed. ARLHS BAL-008; ES-32050; Admiralty E0264; NGA 4808.
* Eivissa (Ibiza) Escullera (Dique de Abrigo) (2)
1915 (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 3 s. 11 m (36 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a semicircular masonry pier house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery red. Barbara Kiss has a photo, Trabas has a closeup and a view from the sea, a 2011 photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the breakwater on the south side of the harbor of Eivissa (Ibiza). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-058; ES-32070; Admiralty E0265; NGA 4820.
Botafoc Light
Botafoc Light, Eivissa, June 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Enrique Ayesta Perojo

Cabrera Lighthouses

 
Note: The Illa de Cabrera is the largest of a group of small islands stretching southward from Mallorca. The entire archipelago is included in a national park. Group tours to the island can be arranged, but landing from private boats requires special permission from the park authority.
* N'Ensiola (Punta Anciola)
1870 (Emilio Pou). Active; focal plane 121 m (397 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 21 m (69 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted in a red and white diamond pattern. A port authority photo is at right, Felipe Marín has a photo, David Andrés has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. The park service offers guided tours of the area including a visit to the station. Located at the southwestern tip of the Illa de Cabrera. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parc Nacional Maritimoterrestre de l'Arxipèlag de Cabrera. ARLHS BAL-059; ES-35740; Admiralty E0338; NGA 4852.
Cap Llebeig (Cabo Lebeche)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 74 m (243 ft); four white flashes every 14.5 s. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal stone tower painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern. Guyomard and Carceller have a photo at #19 in their portfolio (click the forward button 18 times), a very distant view from the sea is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Note: there is also a Cap Llebeig lighthouse on the island of Dragonera (see below), and the "Cap Llebeig Illa Cabrera" photo link on Solabre's web site leads erroneously to a photo of the Dragonera light. Located on a steep promontory at the northwest corner of the Illa de Cabrera, marking the entrance to the island's natural harbor. The site does not appear to be readily accessible. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Parc Nacional Maritimoterrestre de l'Arxipèlag de Cabrera. ARLHS BAL-025; ES-35590; Admiralty E0338.3; NGA 4856.
Na Foradada (Isla de Horadada)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery; lantern removed, attached to a 1-story building. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Xavier Mercado has a photo, another photo is available, Trabas has Rainer Arndt's distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the northernmost islet of the Cabrera Archipelago, a flat-topped island about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of the southern tip of Mallorca. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Parc Nacional Maritimoterrestre de l'Arxipèlag de Cabrera. ARLHS BAL-048; ES-35540; Admiralty E0340; NGA 4868.
Far de N'Ensiola
N'Ensiola Light, Cabrera, 2010
Ports de Baleares photo

Mallorca (Majorca) Lighthouses

Note: Mallorca (often spelled Majorca in English) is the largest and most populous of the Balearic Islands, with a population of about 870,000. The provincial capital, Palma de Mallorca, is located in the southwest of the island.
Palma de Mallorca City Lighthouses
Palma Dique Est (5) (relocated)
1909 (station established in the 1700s). Inactive. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal stone tower rising from the center of a circular 2-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with green trim. Werning has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. In 1982 this lighthouse was dismantled and rebuilt, but it's not clear how far it was moved. Located near the end of the main pier at Palma de Mallorca. Site status unknown; the lighthouse may be accessible by walking the pier, but this is a heavily commercial area that may be closed to the public. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-044.
#Palma Dique Est (6)
Date unknown. Replaced after 2008. 15 m (49 ft) slender round cylindrical concrete tower rising from the center of a square 1-story equipment room; access to the light was by a external stairway that spirals around the tower. Tower painted green; the equipment room at the base was painted white with a large green triangular daymark painted on each face. Werning has a photo of this light, Trabas has a closeup showing that the light has been replaced by a much smaller light, and Google has a satellite view of the location. Located at the southwestern corner of the main pier at Palma de Mallorca; this pier also serves as the breakwater for the inner harbor. Accessible by walking the pier. Site status unknown; the lighthouse may be accessible by walking the pier, but this is a heavily commercial area that may be closed to the public. ARLHS BAL-045; ES-34710; Admiralty E0322; NGA 4976.
** Porto Pí (Palma de Mallorca, Torre Senyals) (3)
1617 (station established in the late thirteenth century). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 38 m (125 ft) three-stage round stone tower with lantern and three galleries. The lowest stage is the Torre Senyals, a 21 m (69 ft) square cylindrical medieval signal tower with castellated top, built in the 14th century. Built atop the medieval tower is a 17 m (56 ft) tower, the lower part square and the upper part octagonal. The tower is unpainted stone; the lantern is gray metallic. Neal Doan's photo is at right, Trabas has Arno Siering's photo, a 2006 view is available, the port authority has an aerial photo, Wikimedia has a photo by Antoni Alomar, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The apparent lack of interest in this historic tower is astonishing; this is one of the oldest lighthouses surviving in the Mediterranean. In the 1950s there were several proposals to demolish it, but fortunately these plans were not carried out. The lighthouse sits today on a busy, industrial waterfront on the east side of the harbor of Palma de Mallorca. The lighthouse was declared a national historic monument in 1983, and in 2004 the Port of Palma opened a small museum in the attached building. Located off the Passaig Maritim about 3 km (2 mi) southwest of the downtown waterfront of Palma de Mallorca. Site open, tower closed (as far as I know). ARLHS BAL-056; ES-34500; Admiralty E0318.8; NGA 4932.
* Palma Dic de l'Oest (Dique Ouest) Ángulo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); three quick white flashes every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) slender round cylindrical concrete tower rising from the center of a square 1-story equipment room; access to the light is by a external stairway that spirals around the tower. Tower painted black with one yellow band; the equipment room at the base is painted white. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the outer elbow of the west (outer) breakwater at Palma de Mallorca. Apparently accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ES-34530; Admiralty E0318.3; NGA 4940.
* Palma Dic de l'Oest (Dique Ouest) Extremo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); red flash every 2.5 s. 13 m (43 ft) slender round cylindrical concrete tower rising from the center of a square 1-story equipment room; access to the light is by a external stairway that spirals around the tower. Tower painted red; the equipment room at the base is painted white with a large red rectangular daymark painted on each face. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west (outer) breakwater at Palma de Mallorca. Apparently accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-098; ES-34540; Admiralty E0318; NGA 4936.
Porto Pí Light
Porto Pí Light, Palma de Mallorca, September 2011
photo copyright Neal Doan; used by permission

Andratx: Southwest Coast Lighthouses
* Cala Figuera (Calafiguera) (2)
1860 (modified in 1960) (Emilio Pou). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 24 m (79 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white spiral bands; lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a closeup photo by Hans-Albert Liebetrau, Derry Oates also has a photo, a photo taken from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. The tower was reconstructed and raised in height by 10 m (33 ft) in 1960. This lighthouse stands on a rocky promontory at the western entrance to the Badia de Palma, about 7 km (4.5 mi) south of Son Ferrer. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from nearby. Accessible by a hiking trail. ARLHS BAL-018; ES-35090; Admiralty E0330; NGA 5008.
Isla del Toro
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) round masonry tower centered on a round 1-story keeper's house. Lantern removed. Entire lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a distant view by Arno Siering, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Isla del Toro is an islet at the end of a very sharp, partially submerged ridge projecting from the southwestern tip of Mallorca. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BAL-033; ES-35120; Admiralty E0332; NGA 5012.
* Cap de sa Mola (Cabo de la Mola)
1993. Active; focal plane 128 m (420 ft); four white flashes, in a 1+3 pattern, every 12 s. 10 m (33 ft) slender round concrete tower mounted on a square 1-story equipment shelter. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands; equipment shelter painted white; the small lantern is red. Trabas has a closeup, the port authority has an aerial photo, and Google has a good street view and an indistinct satellite view. Located on the cape, about 3 km (2 mi) southwest of Port d'Andratx on the southwestern tip of Mallorca. Site open, tower closed. Accessible by road. ARLHS BAL-019; ES-35170; Admiralty E0334; NGA 5016.
* Port d'Andratx (2)
1904 (station established 1859) (Mateu Garau). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two red flashes every 7.5 s. 9 m (30 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted stone; lantern and gallery painted red. Reinhard Schuldt's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup, Jano van Hemert also has a fine photo, Werning has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The walkway to the lighthouse was rebuilt in 2010 after being destroyed by storm waves. Located on the west mole at Port d'Andratx; accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-005; ES-35190; Admiralty E0336; NGA 5020.
Port d'Andratx Light
Port d'Andratx Light, Port d'Andratx, March 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Reinhard Schuldt

Andratx: Dragonera Lighthouses
Note: Illa sa Dragonera is an uninhabited island off the southwestern tip of Mallorca. The island was purchased by the Council of Mallorca in 1987 and is now included with some smaller islets in the Parque Natural sa Dragonera. Tours are available from Sant Elm or Port d'Andratx, and hiking trails reach most parts of the island. The island is part of the Andratx municipality.
Cap Llebeig (Cabo Llebeitx)
1910. Active; focal plane 130 m (427 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. 15 m (49 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, adjoining two 1-story keeper's houses. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a closeup photo by Hans-Albert Liebetrau, Derry Oates has a distant view, another photo is available, Wikimedia has a view from the sea, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lantern, replaced in 1971, was flown by U.S. Navy helicopter to the Porto Pí lighthouse, where it is on display. Note that there is another Cap Llebeig lighthouse on the Illa Cabrera (see above). Located at the southwestern tip of the Illa sa Dragonera. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-025; ES-35260; Admiralty E0282; NGA 5032.
Dragonera
1852. Inactive since 1910. 12 m (39 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story, 2-level masonry keeper's house. The buildings are in ruins. No closeup photo available. A 2010 closeup photo and a more distant view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. The Mallorca Council's page has a historic photo of the light when it was in service (third of three photos). Endangered. This lighthouse had a focal plane of 363 m (1191 ft), higher than any other Spanish lighthouse. In fact it was too high; during storms, when it was most needed, it was usually obscured by clouds. As a result, it was replaced by the Cap Llebeig and Cap de Tramuntana lighthouses in 1910. Abandoned for a century, it is probably in poor condition. Located on the summit of Pico Single de Ginavera, the highest point of the island. Apparently accessible by hiking trails. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-097.
Cap de Tramuntana (Cabo Tramontana)
1910 (modified in 1960 and 1972) (Miguel Massenet). Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 15 m (49 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. Benjamí Villoslada Gil's photo is at right, Trabas has an excellent closeup photo by Hans-Albert Liebetrau, another view from the sea is available, the port authority has an aerial photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original tower had only a single gallery; we don't know if the second gallery was added in 1960 or in 1972. Accoridng to the port authority, "there is an agreement with the Council of the Island of Mallorca, which permits the old lighthouse keeper’s dwellings to be used as small museums and spaces for cultural activities." Located at the northeastern tip of the Illa sa Dragonera. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-029; ES-35310; Admiralty E0284; NGA 5036.
Far de Tramuntana
Cap de Tramuntana Light, Dragonera, August 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Benjamí Villoslada Gil

Sóller Lighthouses
* Cap Gros (Port de Sóller)
1859 (modified in 1963 and 1971). Active; focal plane 120m (394 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. Werning has a photo, Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, another good photo is available, Wikimedia has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse was built in 1842 by the town of Sóller, but it may not have been active until 1859. The original tower had only a single gallery; we don't know if the second gallery was added in 1963 or 1971. Located on a promontory on the west side of the harbor entrance at Port de Sóller on the central northwestern coast of Mallorca. Accessible by road; parking provided. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-024; ES-35360; Admiralty E0289; NGA 5040.
* Sa Creu (Punta de la Cruz) (1)
1864. Inactive since 1945. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower rising from a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lantern removed. The old lighthouse is unpainted. Reinhard Schuldt's photo is at right, the port authority has an aerial photo of both lighthouses, Huelse has an interesting postcard view showing both this lighthouse and the Far de Cap Gros, Google has a street view across the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced because storm waves are able to reach the building. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor entrance at Port de Sóller. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-101.
* Sa Creu (Punta de la Cruz) (2)
1945 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. 2-story modern keeper's house. A photo appears at right, Werning has a good photo, Trabas has an excellent photo by Hans-Albert Liebetrau, Wikimedia has several views from the sea, Google has a street view across the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse was actually completed in 1930, but it stood unused until 1945. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor entrance at Port de Sóller. If not accessible by road, this station should be accessible by a short hike from town. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-064; ES-35380; Admiralty E0288; NGA 5044.
Fars de Sa Creu
Old and new Sa Creu Light, Port de Sóller, March 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Reinhard Schuldt

Pollença Lighthouses
** Cap Formentor
1863. Active; focal plane 210 m (689 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 22 m (72 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. Angie and Chris Pye's photo appears at the top of this page, Trabas has an excellent photo by Hans-Albert Liebetrau, Werning has a photo, Wikimedia has numerous photos, the port authority's aerial photo shows the spectacular scenery, and Huelse has a historic postcard image. This lighthouse marks the northernmost tip of Mallorca and the entrance to the Badia de Pollença; it is accessible at the end of a very crooked road about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Port de Pollença. However, driving to the lighthouse is a popular challenge, and Google's street view and Bing's satellite view show many visitors. There is a café and gift shop at the lighthouse, but it is not known if the tower can be climbed. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS BAL-023; ES-32900; Admiralty E0296; NGA 5068.
* L'Avançada (Punta de la Avanzada) (2)
1905 (modified in 1974) (Eusebio Estrada). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white light occulting twice every 8 s. 18 m (59 ft) 2-stage octagonal masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Trabas has a great photo by Hans-Albert Liebetrau; in the photo the original lantern is seen displayed near the lighthouse. The port authority has an aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The tower was reconstructed in 1974; the height was increased from 12 m (39 ft), the double gallery was added, and the lantern was replaced. Located on a promontory on the north side of the Badia de Pollença (Pollensa), about 5 km (3 mi) east of Port de Pollença. Accessible by road. Site status unknown. ARLHS BAL-062; ES-32950; Admiralty E0298; NGA 5072.

Alcúdia Lighthouses
Punta Sabaté (Cabo del Pinar)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); three white flashes every 9 s. 12 m (39 ft) concrete tower, the lower portion square and the upper portion triangular. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow black horizontal band. Trabas has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in Alcúdia at the northern tip of a rugged peninsula on the east side of the Badia de Pollença. Accessible by an unpaved road; 4WD recommended. Site open, tower closed. ES-33090; Admiralty E0303.7; NGA 5086.
Far de l'Avanzada
L'Avençada Light, Port de Pollença, August 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by GuruAnt (no longer online)

Illa Alcanada
1861. Active; focal plane 22 m (85 ft); white light, 1.2 s on, 3.8 s off. 15 m (49 ft) round masonry tower with double gallery, centered on the roof of a square 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lantern has been removed. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a closeup by Klaus Potschien, Werning has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on an island just off the north shore of the Badia d'Alcúdia about 5 km (3 mi) east of Port d'Alcúdia. Accessible only by boat, but there should be good views from shore at the end of the Camino de la Alcanada. Site status unknown. ARLHS BAL-006; ES-33100; Admiralty E0304; NGA 5100.

Capdepera Lighthouse
* Capdepera (Cabo de Pera)
1861. Active; focal plane 76 m (249 ft); five white flashes, in a 2+3 pattern, every 20 s. 21 m (69 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, centered on the roof of a 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. A photo by Frank Vincentz is at right, Trabas has a fine closeup, Werning has a photo, the port authority has an aerial photo, Wikimedia has several photos, another photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This very handsome lighthouse has a beautiful location on the northeastern tip of Mallorca, a short distance from Cala Ratjada; in fine weather it is probably possible to see Cap d'Artrutx, Menorca, to the northeast. Accessible by paved road; parking provided. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-010; ES-33350; Admiralty E0308; NGA 5116.

Manacor Lighthouse
* Cala Manacor (Porto Cristo, Portocristo)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted with black and white vertical stripes. Trabas has a closeup photo by Klaus Potschien, Werning also has a photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the south side of the entrance to Porto Cristo, the port district of Manacor municipality on the east coast of Mallorca. Accessible by a short walk from the road. Site open, tower closed. ES-33550; Admiralty E0309; NGA 5136.
Far de Capdepera
Capdepera Light, Capdepera, November 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Frank Vincentz

Felanitx Lighthouse
Portocolom (Porto Colom Punta de Ses Crestes, Punta de sa Farola) (2)
1965 (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, adjacent to a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house appears to be part of the original light station. The height of the tower was increased in 1918 and again in 1965. Porto Colom is a small port on Mallorca's southeast coast; the harbor is nearly enclosed by a rocky peninsula. Located at the tip of the peninsula; accessible by road. Site and tower closed; the best view is from the nearby Ciu de Seta street. ARLHS BAL-055; ES-33610; Admiralty E0310; NGA 5144.

Santanyí Lighthouses
Portopetro (Porto Petro)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) concrete post light centered on a square 1-story equipment shelter. Tower painted white, equipment room painted with black and white vertical stripes. Trabas has a closeup photo, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the harbor entrance at Porto Petro. Site status unknown; access to the light may be blocked by private property. ARLHS BAL-099; ES-33750; Admiralty E0311.8; NGA 5160.
* Torre den Bou (Cala Figuera de Santanyí)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower, painted with black and white vertical stripes. No lantern. Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, the port authority has an aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the harbor of Cala Figuera de Santanyí. There is road access to a point close to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-073; ES-33830; Admiralty E0312.6; NGA 5172.
* Cap Salines (Punta de las Salinas)
1863 (modified in 1960) (Emilio Pou). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 20 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and double gallery. Lighthouse painted white with buff trim; lantern is gray metallic. Olaf Tausch's photo appears at right, Werning has a fine photo, Trabas has a good closeup, Jacobo Portillo has a photo, Wikimedia has additional photos, and Google has a street view and a good satellite view. This lighthouse marks the southernmost tip of Mallorca. The tower was reconstructed in 1960, raising its height by 6.5 m (21 ft) and adding the double galleries. In a failed experiment, it was powered for a time by wind generators; then in 1980 it was the first Spanish lighthouse converted to solar power. Today the keeper's house accommodate scholars from the Mediterranean Institute for Advanced Studies (IMEDEA). Located at the end of the PM-611 highway, about 15 km (9 mi) south of Ses Salines. Limited parking available. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-070; ES-33890; Admiralty E0314; NGA 4872.
Far de Cap Salines
Cap de's Salines Light, Santanyí, April 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Olaf Tausch

Ses Salines Lighthouse
* Punta Puntassa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); three white flashes every 10.5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery and a small lantern, rising from a square equipment room. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. Trabas has a good photo, a second photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This modern lighthouse marks the entrance to the harbor of Colónia Sant Jordi. Located at the end of Calle de Puntassa on the western side of the harbor entrance. Site open, tower closed. ES-33940; Admiralty E0315; NGA 4884.

S'Estanyol de Migjorn Lighthouses
* S'Estanyol (El Estañol, Punta Plana)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); four quick white flashes every 7 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery and a small lantern, rising from a square equipment room. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. Trabas has a good photo by Rainer Arndt, Werning has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This modern lighthouse marks the entrance to the harbor of S'Estanyol, a resort town on the south coast of Mallorca. Located on a promontory about 1.5 km (1 mi) southwest of the S'Estanyol waterfront. Accessible by a hike of about 2 km (1.25 mi) round trip. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-100; ES-34130; Admiralty E0315.8; NGA 4888.
Cap Blanc (Cabo Blanco)
1863. Active; focal plane 95 m (312 ft); white occulting once every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern is gray metallic. Antoni Salvà's photo is at right, Werning has a photo, Trabas has a closeup by Klaus Potschien, Ángel González has another good closeup photo, Wikimedia has several photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse marks the eastern entrance to the Badia de Palma, the wide bay leading to Palma. Located atop a steep promontory off the coastal road about 15 km (9 mi) south of S'Arenal. Site and tower closed (the entrance road is gated). ARLHS BAL-014; ES-34180; Admiralty E0316; NGA 4892.
Cap Blanc Light
Cap Blanc Light, S'Estanyol de Migjorn, July 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Antoni Salvà

Menorca (Minorca) Lighthouses

Ciutadella de Menorca (Western Menorca) Lighthouses
** Cap d'Artrutx
1859 (substantially modified in 1970). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 34 m (111 ft) round concrete tower with four ribs, lantern, and double gallery. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern is gray metallic. A. Bremner's photo appears at right, Trabas has a photo, Wikimedia has a good photo, the port authority has an aerial photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a good satellite view. The tower was doubled in height in 1970, and the four buttresses were added to help support it; the double gallery was also added. The keeper's house now includes a bar and snack restaurant. Cap d'Artrutx is the southwesternmost point of Menorca, and unlike most points of land in the Balearics it is quite low. Located at the end of Plaça Far in the town of Cap d'Artrutx. Site and keeper's house open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-015; ES-36420; Admiralty E0342; NGA 5184.
* Ciutadella (Punta de Sa Farola)
1863 (modified in 1979) (Emilio Pou). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light occulting five times, in a 2+3 pattern, every 14 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white vertical stripes; lantern is gray metallic. Agustí Duran Parra's photo is below right, another photo is available, the port authority has an aerial photo, and Google has street view and a satellite view. In 1979 the tower was increased in height and the double gallery was added. Located on on the Cami Farola, on the west side of the harbor entrance in Ciutadella de Menorca, on the west end of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-078; ES-36470; Admiralty E0344; NGA 5188.
Cap d'Artrutx Light
Cap d'Artrutx Light, Ciutadella de Menorca, September 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by A. Bremner
* Punta Nati (Cabo Nati)
1911 (Mauro Serret). Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 20 s. 19 m (62 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story U-shaped masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; lantern is gray metallic. Carlos Pons has a closeup photo and a more distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a closeup street view and a good satellite view. This lighthouse, on the relatively wild and barren northwest coast of Menorca, is not often visited. Located at the end of secondary road CF-5 about 6 km (4 mi) north of Ciutadella de Menorca. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-026; ES-36680; Admiralty E0348; NGA 5220.

Es Mercadal (North Coast) Lighthouses
* Cap de Cavalleria (Cabo Caballeria)
1857. Active; focal plane 94 m (308 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted all white; lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a great photo, an excellent closeup is available, Wikimedia has several photos, and Google has a good satellite view. The Cap de Cavalleria is a narrow, rocky spine that projects from the north coast of Menorca, forming a very dangerous obstacle for ships. Despite its remoteness, the site is accessible by road and is often visited for the spectacular view. Located at the end of secondary road CF-3 about 6 km (4 mi) northwest of Platges de Fornells by sea, but more like 25 km (15 mi) by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-017; ES-35790; Admiralty E0350; NGA 5224.
Far de Ciutadela
Ciutadella Light, Ciutadella de Menorca
photo copyright Agustí Duran Parra; used by permission
* Cap de sa Pared
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white flash every 2 s. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) post light attached to a 1-story equipment room. Lighthouse painted white with one black horizontal band. Wikimedia has a closeup photo, Trabas has a distant photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. An ancient fortified tower nearby is better known than the light. Located on a promontory on the west side of the entrance to Fornells. Accessible by a short walk from nearby parking at the end of the Carrer de Tramuntana. Site open, tower closed. ES-35800; Admiralty E0350.5; NGA 5226.

Maó Lighthouses
Cap Favàritx
1916 (Miguel Massenet). Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); three white flashes, in a 1+2 pattern, every 15 s. 28 m (92 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from one end of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white spiral bands; lantern is gray metallic. A good photo is available, Wikimedia has several views, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Cap Favàritx is a sharp promontory projecting from the northeastern coast of Menorca. Located at the end of secondary road CF-1 about 12 km (7.5 mi) off the main road ME-7. Site and tower closed (the road to the lighthouse passes through private property). ARLHS BAL-022; ES-35900; Admiralty E0352; NGA 5236.
Punta Sapos Esperó (Punta del Espero)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three white flashes, in a 1+2 pattern, every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands, rising from one end of 1-story equipment building. Mauro J.R. Silva has a view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the easternmost tip of Menorca, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of the entrance to the Port de Maó. Site and tower closed (military reservation). ARLHS BAL-067; ES-35940; Admiralty E0355; NGA 5238.

Es Castell Lighthouses
* Punta de Ne Cafayas (Calas Fonts, Villacarlos)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); three red flashes every 9 s. 7 m (23 ft) small round tower, painted red, atop a white 1-story equipment shelter. A closeup photo is available, and Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. Calas Fonts is a popular waterfront district in Es Castell, on the east side of Maó. Located on a promontory projecting into the harbor; the little lighthouse stands in a parking lot on the Paseo de Santa Agueda. Site open, tower closed. ES-36090; Admiralty E0358; NGA 5256.
Punta de San Carlos (San Carles-Maó, Puerto de Mahon) (3)
1971 (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light occulting twice every 6 s. 15 m (49 ft) post light with gallery, rising from a square white equipment room. Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 16 m (52 ft) masonry tower attached to a keeper's house. It was replaced by a smaller light because it stood in the line of fire of coastal defense artillery. Port de Maó is the principal town and harbor of Menorca; its English name Mahon is a reminder that Britain occupied Menorca for most of the 18th century after capturing it in 1708. Located within the Fort of Sant Felipe, on a promontory on the south side of the harbor entrance. Site status unknown. ARLHS BAL-066; ES-35950; Admiralty E0354; NGA 5240.

Sant Lluís Lighthouses
Illa de l'Aire (Isla del Aire, Punta Prima)
1860 (modified in 1965). Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white flash every 5 s. 38 m (125 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern is gray metallic. Jon Gonzalo Torróntegui's photo is at right, Dorit and Jorgen Skovmand have a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The tower was reconstructed and the double galleries added in 1965. The Illa de S'Aire is a low, rather flat island, about 1.2 km (0.75 mi) long, located off the southeastern tip of Menorca. Located near Punta Prima, the eastern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BAL-002; ES-36370; Admiralty E0366; NGA 5180.
Far de S'Aire
Illa de l'Aire Light, Sant Lluís, July 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jon Gonzalo Torróntegui

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Catalonia | West: Valencia and Murcia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted March 20, 2006. Checked and revised May 24, 2014. Lighthouses: 55. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.