This page includes lighthouses of a small territory of France located in the Leeward Islands at the northeastern corner of the Caribbean Sea. Saint-Barthélemy, often known informally as St.-Barth or St.-Barts, has an unusual history: although settled by France, it was sold to Sweden in 1784. The Swedes ruled the island until 1878, when they sold it back to France. A result of the Swedish occupation is that many place names on the island are Swedish. The capital, Gustavia, is named for King Gustav III of Sweden.
The two French territories of St.-Martin and St.-Barthélemy were formerly governed as dependencies of the larger island of Guadeloupe, but since 2007 they have reported separately to Paris as collectivités of France.
Most of the lighthouses of the Lesser Antilles are very poorly known, so information about them would be welcome, and photos are especially welcome.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.
Gustavia Light, Gustavia, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by digitalfilmphoto
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: St.-Martin | South: St. Kitts-Nevis | Southwest: Saba and Sint Eustatius
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key
Posted December 8, 2005. Checked and revised October 15, 2012. Lighthouses: 1. Site copyright 2012 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.