Lighthouses of Bermuda
Bermuda is a small group of islands isolated in the western
Atlantic about 935 km (580 miles) east of the coast of North Carolina.
Settled in 1612, Bermuda has always been a British colony, although
it is now self-governing in most matters.
The country has a population of about 70,000. It is a very popular resort,
especially for North Americans.
Regular air service is available from many locations in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
Bermuda's two 19th century lighthouses are among the islands' best-known
Aids to navigation in Bermuda are operated by the Department
of Marine and Ports Services.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume
J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers
are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
List of Lights - Bermuda Islands
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- Photos and accounts of a 2000 visit to the two major lighthouses
by Gary Richardson and Anna Klein.
- Lighthouses in Bermuda
- Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
- World of Lighthouses - Bermuda
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Mittelamerikas und der Karibik auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
St. David's Light, St. George, July 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Brian Gratwicke
- North Rock (3)
- Date unknown (station established 1912). Active; focal plane 21 m
(69 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 15 m (49 ft) round 2-stage
fiberglass tower mounted on a concrete base. Lower half of tower painted
yellow, upper half black. Clifton Vachon has a 2009 photo,
another photo is
available (near the bottom of the page), a postage
stamp also shows the structure (stamp on the right), and Google
has a satellite
view. The base originally supported a concrete light
tower; later it supported a skeletal tower. Located on an isolated
limestone reef at the northernmost point of the Bermuda archipelago,
about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of St. David's Light. Accessible only
by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BER-015; Admiralty J4471;
- Northeast Beacon (North East Breaker)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every
2.5 s. 14 m (46 ft) round barbell-shaped red fiberglass tower, raised
high on a concrete tripod. Clifton Vachon has a photo, but the light is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located at the extreme northeastern tip of the Bermuda reef
system, 13 km (8 mi) north northeast of St. David's Light. Accessible
only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BER-018; Admiralty J4471.3;
- Kitchen Shoal
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three white flashes every
15 s. 14 m (46 ft) round barbell-shaped fiberglass tower, colored with red and white horizontal bands, raised
high on a concrete tripod. ARLHS has G. Couper's fuzzy photo. Located at the eastern edge of the Bermuda reef
system, 7 km (11 mi) northeast of St. David's Light. Accessible
only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BER-014; Admiralty J4471.5;
- * Town Cut Channel (Outer)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous red light. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a square concrete foundation. Lighthouse painted red with a broad white horizontal band. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo (also seen at right), David Broad has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Town Cut is the dredged entrance to Bermuda's harbor at the northern end of the islands. Located on the north side of the channel, off the end of Cut Road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J4477;
- Town Cut Channel Inner (Chalk Wharf)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous red light. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower. Upper half of the lighthouse painted red, lower half white. The light no longer carries the black and white checkered daymark described by NGA. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo, but the light has not been located in Google's satellite view. Located on the north side of the channel, about 300 m (330 yd) west of the outer light. Site status unknown (probably on private property). Admiralty J4478;
- Higgs Island
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous green light. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower. Lighthouse painted white with a green top. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo, and the light is at the lower left in a view from the sea, but the lighthouse is inconspicuous in Google's satellite view. Located on the south side of the entrance to the Town Cut, at the northeast corner of Higgs Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BER-004; Admiralty J4476;
Town Cut Channel Outer Light, St. George
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger; used by permission
- *** St.
- 1879. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); two white flashes every
20 s; tower also carries flashing red and green lights that cover
nearby shoals. 22 m (72 ft) octagonal limestone tower with lantern
and double gallery; 2nd order Fresnel lens. Brian Gratwicke's photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has a fine postcard photo,
Edwin Hoogerbeets has a good 2007 photo,
Tim Conway has a 2008 photo,
Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a street view and a satellite
view. Formerly all white, the
lighthouse is now painted white with a broad red band in the center.
The keeper's house is occupied by resident caretakers. Recently renovated.
Located on a hilltop on St. David's Island, in St. George Parish,
near the northeastern tip of the islands. Site open; tower open daily
May through September. Operator/site manager: Bermuda Department of
Marine and Ports Services. ARLHS BER-009; Admiralty J4472; NGA 11616.
- **** Gibbs
- 1846. Active; focal plane 108 m (354 ft); white flash every
10 s; tower also carries a flashing red aviation hazard light
atop the lantern. 40.5 m (133 ft) round cast iron tower with
lantern and gallery; revolving 1st order Fresnel lens (1904).
Entire building painted white. D.B. King's photo is at right, Kate Webster has a photo, a 2009 photo and
a view of
the station are available, Wikimedia has photos, Tim Conway has a 2008 photo,
Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is not the oldest cast iron lighthouse in the
world, as is claimed in Bermuda, but it is the second oldest
cast iron lighthouse in the Americas (Jamaica's Morant Point
Light was built in 1841). The 1-story keeper's house is occupied
by a resident caretaker. There is a tea room and gift shop in
the neighboring building, a former British Army signal station.
The light station is a very well known tourist attraction. Lighthouse
Digest has a September 1999 feature article on
the light station and second article in
July 2006. In September 2003 the lighthouse was damaged by Hurricane
Fabian. The Fresnel lens was taken out of service, removed in
February 2004, and returned in May after restoration and replacement
of the mercury flotation with ball bearings. In 2005 the tower
was reported to be in need of renovations, and visitors
were banned from the gallery due to safety concerns. In September 2012 the government announced it would soon begin a restoration of the lighthouse, and after some delays the repainting and refurbishment was carried out in the spring of 2014. In October 2014 Hurricane Gonzalo heavily damaged the roof of the signal station building, but it was repaired and reopened in March 2015. Located
on the highest point of the island in Southampton Parish, southwest
of Hamilton. Site and tower open daily year round except for February. Operator:
Bermuda Department of Marine and Ports Services. Site manager: Gibbs
Hill Lighthouse. ARLHS BER-010; Admiralty J4550; NGA 11668.
- [Hogfish Beacon]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (16 ft); two yellow flashes
every 10 s. 5 m (16 ft) masonry tower, painted
white with a black band at the top. The tower also carries a
decorative weather vane. A photo is
available, a postage
stamp shows the structure (stamp on the left), and Google
has a satellite view. This beacon marks the northwest end of a dangerous
reef a short distance east of Bermuda's main entrance channel.
Located in Great Sound about 5 km (3 mi) north of Gibb's Hill
Light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS
BER-013; Admiralty J4494; NGA 11704.
Gibbs Hill Light, Warwick, July 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by D.B. King
- Eastern Blue Cut
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); three white
flashes, two short and one long (Morse code "W") every
10 s. 18 m (59 ft) round fiberglass beacon mounted on a triangular
pier supported by three piles. Beacon painted with black and
white horizontal bands. Mike Fitzpatrick has a distant view, but clouds block Google's satellite
view. Located on a reef on the northwestern side of the Bermuda
archipelago. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
ARLHS BER-011; Admiralty J4547; NGA 11686.
- Chub Heads
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); nine quick white flashes
every 15 s. 18 m (59 ft) round fiberglass beacon mounted on a triangular
pier supported by three piles. Beacon painted yellow with a black horizontal
band. No photo
available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef at the extreme western end of the Bermuda archipelago.
Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BER-017; Admiralty
J4546; NGA 11742.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
Posted March 22, 2007. Checked and revised October 6, 2016.
Lighthouses: 10. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.