- * Ragged
Point (East Point)
- 1875. Reactivated (inactive 2007(?)-2011); focal plane 65 m (213 ft); continuous red light. 29.5
m (97 ft) stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern
and watch room black. The keeper's house and other light station buildings
are abandoned and in ruins.
Bas Leenders's 2009 photo is at right, Mendes has a 1996 photo, Carlos Granier-Phelps
has a good August 2006 photo,
Trabas has a photo by Rainer Arndt, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Endangered; many photos show shattered glass in the lantern and the poor condition of the tower. The Admiralty reported the light to be "temporarily extinguished" in 2007; in May 2011 it announced that a continuous red warning light has been activated on the tower. Located on a bluff above the Atlantic about 2 km (1.2 mi)
northwest of East Point, the easternmost point of the island. Site open,
tower closed. ARLHS BAR-003; Admiralty J5804; NGA 15096.
- * South
- 1852 (Alexander Gordon). Active; focal plane 44 m (145 ft); three white
flashes every 30 s. 27 m (89 ft) cast iron tower with lantern and gallery,
painted with red and white horizontal bands. 1-story keeper's house,
abandoned. The lighthouse was exhibited at Londons Great Exhibition in 1851, then reassembled on the island. Mendes's 1998 photo
showed the lighthouse to be rusted and much in need of restoration.
The lighthouse was refurbished and painted in 2004, and the
photo at right shows the tower with its new paint job. A photo is at the top of this page, a 2007 photo is available, Dave Grella has a 2010 photo, Marinas.com has
recent aerial photos,
Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite
view. Located near the southernmost point of the island. Site open,
tower closed. ARLHS BAR-004; Admiralty J5806; NGA 15100.
- * Needhams
- 1886 (station established 1855). Inactive. 13 m (43 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern
and gallery, painted white, lantern and gallery black. Hilton
Hotels built a large new hotel next to this tower; Hilton now owns the
lighthouse and has restored and painted its exterior. A 2007 photo
and a 2009 photo
are available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite
view. The London Gazette had a notice for the then-new lighthouse in 1886. Located at the south end of Carlisle Bay, southwest of Bridgetown.
Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS BAR-002.
- * [Needhams Point (3)]
- Date unknown (station established 1855). Active; focal plane about 35 m (115 ft); red flash every 8
s). 30 m (98 ft) mast painted with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, but the slender mast is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located on the point west of the hotel. Site open. Admiralty J5807; NGA
- * Bridgetown Entrance Range Rear
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); green light, 3 s on, 1.5 s off. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. The top of the tower carries a rectangular daymark, painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is mounted atop a daymark panel at the end of the harbor breakwater. Located on the waterfront of Bridgetown's modern harbor. Admiralty J5812.56; NGA
- Harrison Point
- 1925. Reactivated (inactive 2007(?)-2011); focal plane 59 m (194 ft); continuous red light.
26 m (85 ft) concrete block tower with lantern and gallery, originally
painted white; lantern red. Keeper's quarters and other light station
buildings abandoned and in ruins. A photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a photo, Mendes has a closeup 1997 photo,
Dan Cravotta has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a satellite
view. This lighthouse is gravely endangered. There was a period around
2006 when the lighthouse was on the grounds of a prison and not accessible
to the public, but this is no longer the case. The Admiralty reported the light to be "temporarily extinguished" in 2007. Jon Van Hout visited
the lighthouse early in 2011 and found it abandoned, stripped of its wiring,
and open to all comers. In May 2011 the Admiralty announced that a continuous red warning light has been activated on the tower. Located at the northeasternmost point of
the island, about 8 km (5 mi) north of Speightstown. Site and tower
open. ARLHS BAR-001; Admiralty J5814; NGA 15128.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Ragged Point Light, January 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Bas Leenders
Harrison Point Light, February 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Postdlf