Lighthouses of Northern Brazil

Brazil, the largest country in South America and fifth largest in the world, has a lengthy coastline, a large number of lighthouses, and a distinguished lighthouse history. This page covers lighthouses along Brazil's northern coast, including the states of Amapá, Pará, Amazonas, and Maranhão. It is a tropical coastline, quite low in the west but becoming higher in the east. Major ports include Belém in Pará and São Luís in Maranhão. Tourism has increased in the region in recent years, and some of the major lighthouses are becoming much better known.

The Portuguese word for a lighthouse is farol, plural faróis. In Brazilian use, the word farol generally applies to all light towers, regardless of size and whether they are enclosed structures or not.

Active lighthouses in Brazil are owned by the navy (Marinha do Brasil) and maintained by the Centro de Sinalização Náutica e Reparos Almirante Moraes Rego (CAMR) in the Diretoria de Hidrografia e Navegacão (DHN). Many of the larger lighthouses are staffed by resident keepers or by rotating crews of naval personnel. Only a small number of Brazilian lighthouses are open to the public.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. BR numbers are from the official Brazilian Lista de Faroís. Admiralty numbers are from volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Faroís Brasileiros
This web site for Brazilian lighthouses has small photos and historical information for many of the major lights.
Faroís Brasileiros
This page on the web site of the navy's aids to navigation center (CAMR) has links to photos of many of the lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - Brazil
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Brazil
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Brazil
Photos by various photographers available from Lighthouses.net.
Lista de Faróis do Brasil
Index to articles on Brazilian lighthouses in the Portuguese edition of Wikipedia.
Leuchttürme Südamerikas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lista de Faróis
Official Brazilian light list available for download.

Farol de Preguiças
Preguiças Light, Maranhão, December 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Claudinez Lacerda

Lighthouses of Amapá

Note: The territory of Amapá (sometimes called "Portuguese Guiana") was disputed for many years between Brazil and France. In 1900, an arbitration commission ruled in favor of Brazil. The territory was added to the state of Pará until 1943, when it became a federal territory; it was elevated to statehood in 1991.
North Atlantic Coast Lighthouses
Cabo Orange
1997. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. Approx. 48 m (157 ft) square cylindrical white metal (aluminum?) skeletal tower. Ricardo Siqueira has an aerial photo, the shadow of the tower is seen in a photo taken from the top, and a distant view (second photo on the page) and a distant aerial photo are available, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. This tall modern lighthouse was built on Brazil's northernmost cape, across the mouth of the Rio Oiapoque (Oyapock) from French Guiana, to mark the country's northern border. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parque Nacional de Cabo Orange. ARLHS BRA-277; BR-0001; Admiralty G0000.5; NGA 17458.
Calçoene (2)
2006 (station established 1948). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the water's edge on the south side of the entrance to the Rio Calçoene. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-124; BR-0002; Admiralty G0001; NGA 17460.
Guará
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 6 s. 42 m (138 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a good satellite view. Located about 30 km (19 mi) north of the northernmost mouth of the Amazon River. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-217; BR-0028; Admiralty G0004; NGA 17470.
Bailique (2)
Date unknown (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white flash every 10 s. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the northernmost mouth of the Amazon River. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-009; BR-0060; Admiralty G0005; NGA 17472.

Canal do Norte (Amazon River Entrance) Lighthouses
Ilha do Pará (2)
1990s (station established 1958). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) square white metal (aluminum?) tower. Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the island. This lighthouse marks the entrance to the Canal do Norte, the northernmost major mouth of the Amazon. Located on an island just north of the entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-053; BR-0061; Admiralty G0005.5; NGA 17474.
#Ilha Pedreira
Date unknown. Inactive. Lighthouse reported destroyed (presumably demolished) in early 2006. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view that probably shows buildings of the former station. Located on a swampy island in the Canal do Norte, the northernmost mouth of the Amazon, about 100 km (60 mi) above the mouth. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ex-BR-0088; ex-Admiralty G0007.2; NGA 17490.
Pau Cavado
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 6 s. 40 m (131 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs (also seen at right), and Google has a good satellite view. Located at a bend in the Canal do Norte about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of the river port of Macapá. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-069; BR-0092; Admiralty G0007.5; NGA 17500.
* Macapá Torre de Água (Water Tower)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous light, white or red depending on direction. Light mounted atop a tall water tower. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs (water tower is left of center), and Google has a good satellite view. Located at the intersection of the Avenidas Mário Cruz and Gen. Rondon in Macapá. Site open, tower closed. BR-0108; Admiralty G0008.4; NGA 17510.
Farol de Pau Cavado
Pau Cavado Light, Macapá
photo copyright Capt. Theo Hinrichs; used by permission

Lighthouses of Pará

Ilha do Marajó Area Lighthouses
Note: The Ilha do Marajó is a large island occupying much of the southeastern half of the delta of the Amazon. On its east side, Marajó is separated from the mainland by the estuary known as the Río do Pará. The Río do Pará is considered the southernmost mouth of the Amazon, but it also drains the Río Tocantins, another very large river. The city of Belém, capital of Pará state, is on the east side of the Río do Pará across from the Ilha do Marajó.
Espírito Santo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has a very distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view of the area. Located on the western tip of the Ilha Caviana, facing the south side of the Canal do Norte. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. BR-0084; Admiralty G007.4; NGA 17496.
Ilha Camaleão
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 35 m (115 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, and Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. Located on the north side of the Ilha Camaleão, an island on the north side of the Ilha de Marajó. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-136; BR-0142; Admiralty G0011.5; NGA 17534.
Ilha Machadinho
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located on an island about 16 km (10 mi) east of Ilha Camaleão. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-226; BR-0144; Admiralty G0012; NGA 17536.
Simão Grande (Cabo de Maguari)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 5 s. 40 m (131 ft) square skeletal tower, lower half pyramidal and upper half cylindrical, painted white. Osvaldo Boulhosa has an aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view of the tower. Located at the northeastern point of the Ilha de Marajó, the large island between the mouths of the Amazon and the Rio do Pará. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-197; BR-0148; Admiralty G0014; NGA 17540.
* Soure (2)
Date unknown (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 35 m (114 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, built on a square platform projecting into the Baía de Marajó. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Rafael José Rorato has a 2011 closeup, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, CAMR has a photo, and the shadow of the tower is seen in a Google satellite view. Soure (pronounced "sorry") is the principal town of the Ilha de Marajó; it is accessible by ferry or package tour from Belém. Located in Soure on the west side of the entrance to the Baía de Guajará. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-198; BR-0167; Admiralty G0021.5; NGA 17560.
Salvaterra (Ilha dos Amores)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 3 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) hexagonal skeletal tower with one enclosed section. Lighthouse painted white. There's a view from the town, Trabas has Capt. Theo Hinrichs's view from the river, and Google has a blurry satellite view. This may be the second tower at this site, since NGA lists an 8 m (26 ft) square skeletal tower. Apparently located on a small island just offshore at Salvaterra, on the west side of the Baía de Marajó. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-092; BR-0168; Admiralty G0022; NGA 17562.

Soure Light
Prefeitura de Soure photo
Joanes (Ponta da Guarita) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. Wikimedia has an excellent photo by Celso Roberto de Abreu Silva, a closeup is available, CAMR has an aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. There is a church near the lighthouse, and also nearby are the ruins of a 17th century mission that was one of the first European outposts in the area. Located on Ponta da Guarita, a promontory on the west side of the Baía de Marajó about 15 km (9 mi) south of Salvaterra. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-060; BR-0172; Admiralty G0024; NGA 17564.
Itaguarí (Itaguary)
1931. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square masonry tower, painted white and mounted on a square concrete pier. Christiano Malato has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the mouth of a tributary, the Marajó-Açu, on the west side of the Rio Pará about 40 km (25 mi) west of Belém. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-251; BR-0308; Admiralty G0052; NGA 17600.

Belém Area Lighthouses
Note: Founded in 1616, Belém is the capital of Pará and the metropolis of the lower Amazon. The city has a population of about 1.4 million.
*** Belém (Mangal das Garças)
2005. Active; focal plane about 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 20 s. 47 m (154 ft) square concrete skeletal tower with lantern, four massive legs, a large square central column, and two observation decks. Flávio Jota de Paula's photo is at right, Eloi Raiol has a photo, Wikimedia has several photos, André Bonacin has a view from the river, and Google has an indistinct satellite view and a distant street view through trees. This striking and very modern lighthouse is the centerpiece of a large park, the Mangal das Garças ("Mangroves of the Herons"), adjacent to downtown Belém and at the confluence of the Rio Guamá and Rio Acará. Site open; tower open for climbing at least to the observation decks. Site manager: Estado do Pará. BR-0269; Admiralty G0042.3; NGA 17599.
Forte da Barra (2)
Date unknown (station established about 1923). Active; focal plane 14 m (43 ft); quick-flashing white light. 12 m (39 ft) square masonry tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located about 600 m (3/8 mi) off the east side of the Rio do Pará at Val de Cães, about 10 miles north of Belém. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-259; BR-0208; Admiralty G0038; NGA 17592.
Ponta Maria Teresa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 6 s. 40 m (131 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view of the lighthouse. Located on the east side of the Rio do Pará about 8 km (5 mi) north of Colares. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-079; BR-0164; Admiralty G0021; NGA 17556.
Taipú (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, centered on a 1-story concrete equipment building. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. The Maraú tourist office has several photos, Edgar Eler has a 2012 closeup, André Vinicius has another closeup, Rafael Keunecke has a 2009 view from the sea, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. CAMR has a photo of the original lighthouse, a skeletal tower. This lighthouse marks the east side of the entrance to Marajó Bay and the Rio do Pará. Located about 30 km (19 mi) north of Vigia. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-200; BR-0160; Admiralty G0020; NGA 17552.
Belém Light
Belém (Mangal das Garças) Light, October 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Flávio Jota de Paula

Salinópolis Area Lighthouses
Curuçá
Date unknown (station established 1933). Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 42 m (138 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a somewhat fuzzy satellite view. Located on the northern point of Ilha Cajutuba, about 50 km (30 mi) west of Salinópolis. Site status unknown.ARLHS BRA-031; BR-0472; Admiralty G0062; NGA 17652.
Marapanim (Ponta Marapanim)
1952. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 32 m (105 ft) skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Andre Leao has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a low point of land on the east side of the entrance to the Rio Marapanim, about 25 km (15 mi) west of Salinópolis. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-064; BR-0476; Admiralty G0063; NGA 17656.
* Salinópolis (Salinas) (3) (relocated)
1902 (relocated here in 1937) (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 6 s. 39 m (128 ft) cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder, painted red. Felipe Accioli's photo is at right, Alexandre Lima has a photo, Moises Unger has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has Carlos Macapuna's closeup, and CAMR also has a photo, but a cloud veils the lighthouse in Google's satellite view. Antonio Negrao has a closeup and notes that the lighthouse was prefabricated in what was then Austria but is now the Czech Republic. Stone ruins of the original lighthouse, a 12 m (40 ft) tower, can be seen on the beach 13 km (8 mi) north of the city. After it was lost to erosion, it was replaced by a 50 m (164 ft) skeletal tower; this lighthouse was also lost to erosion in the 1930s. The present lighthouse was shipped to Salinópolis in 1894, but it remained crated for years. In 1902 it was installed at Apeú (see below), where it stood until it was relocated to the present site in 1937. Located in Salinópolis, an ocean beach resort about 150 miles northeast of Belém. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-091; BR-0480; Admiralty G0064; NGA 17660.
Quatipuru
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 25 m (82 ft) skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. Located on a low point of land about 60 km (38 mi) northeast of Santarém. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-085; BR-0482; Admiralty G0065; NGA 17662.
Caeté (Ajuruteua)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two quick white flashes every 6 s. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Vitor Castanho has a distant view (fifth photo on the page), and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the north end of the beach resort town of Ajuruteua. Site status unknown. BR-0484; Admiralty G0066; NGA 17664.
Apeú (Ilha do Apeú, Cape Gurupi) (2)
1943 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 38 m (125 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The tower also carries a diamond shaped daymark also painted with red and white horizontal bands. CAMR has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view of the tower. The original lighthouse was relocated to Salinópolis in 1937. Located on an island just offshore about 120 km (75 mi) east of Salinópolis. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-004; BR-0488; Admiralty G0070; NGA 17668.
Farol de Salinópolis
Salinópolis Light, New Year's Day 2003
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Felipe Accioli

Amazon River Lightbeacon
[Ponta Peregrino]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 4 s. 12 m (39 ft) skeletal mast, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has Capt. Theo Hinrichs's photo, but the small tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. There are numerous lights along the river; this is one of the larger ones. Located on the north bank of the Amazon about 160 km (100 mi) east of Santarém. Site status unknown. BR-0392; Admiralty G0059.2.

Lighthouses of Amazonas

Note: Large ocean-going vessels (including cruise ships) can sail the Amazon River approximately 1500 km (930 mi) to Manaus, the capital of Amazonas state. Manaus is a large city, with a population of about 2 million.
Porto Equador
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal tower, lower section pyramidal, painted white. The tower also carries diamond-shaped slatted daymarks, painted white. Trabas has Capt. Theo Hinrichs's photo, but the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river near Urucurutiba. Site status unknown. BR-0424; Admiralty G0059.52.
Moronas
1929. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); green flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower mounted on a tall, round stepped base. Lighthouse painted white; the base is unpainted. André Stern has a closeup photo that probably shows this light, although it might show Pedra do Jacaré (next entry). Ships must pass between the two lighthouses. Wikimedia has two photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located in mid-river about 35 km (22 mi) east of Manaus. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-281; BR-0428; Admiralty G0059.6.
Pedra do Jacaré
1924. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower mounted on a tall, round stepped base. Lighthouse painted white; the base is unpainted. Google has a satellite view. Located in mid-river about 32 km (20 mi) east of Manaus and 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southwest of the Moronas lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-280; BR-0432; Admiralty G0059.8.
* Manaus Alfândega
1912(?). Active(?). Approx. 22 m (72 ft) square castellated masonry tower with a round lantern, attached to an ornate 3-story customs house. The tower is brown and white; the lantern is painted in a black and yellow checkerboard pattern. A photo by Nicholas Laughlin is at right, another excellent photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The Alfândega (customs house) of Manaus is one of the city's best-known landmarks; it was prefabricated in Britain, shipped to the Amazon, and reassembled stone by stone. The building is now the Port Captain's office. Located on the Avenida Marquesa da Santa Cruz in downtown Manaus, the capital of Amazonas, about 1200 km (750 mi) by air west of Belém. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS BRA-283.
Alfândega de Manaus
Alfândega de Manaus, March 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Nicholas Laughlin

Lighthouses of Maranhão

São Luís Area Lighthouses
Ponta da Praia Grande
Date unknown (around 2000). Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); five white flashes, separated by 10 s, every 60 s. 45 m (148 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available, and Google has only a very fuzzy satellite view of the area. Note: there is another lighthouse of this name in São Paulo state. Located on a point of land about 40 km (25 mi) east of Belo. Site status unknown. BR-0494; Admiralty G0070.5; NGA 17670.
* São João (Ilha Maiau, Ilha São João) (2)
1940 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands, rising from a rectangular 1-story base. A photo is at right, a 2007 photo and an aerial photo are available, and a postage stamp also shows the lighthouse, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. Located on Ilha Maiau, an island about 25 km (15 mi) off the coast and about 210 km (130 mi) northwest of São Luís. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-250; BR-0496; Admiralty G0072; NGA 17672.
Mangunça
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 10 s. 40 m (131 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a good satellite view. Located on a promontory about 65 km (40 mi) southeast of the São João lighthouse. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-049; BR-0500; Admiralty G0074; NGA 17676.
Lightfloat BF-1 Recife Manoel Luis
Late 1980s. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower riding on a lightship-style hull. Entire structure painted red. The lightfloat marks a large submerged limestone reef which has wrecked more than 200 vessels over the years. Located in the Atlantic about 160 km (100 mi) northeast of Ilha São João. Accessible only by boat. Site open but dangerous to navigation, vessel closed.Admiralty G0071; NGA 17677.
Pirajuba
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a good satellite view. Located on a promontory about 30 km (19 mi) north of Alcantara. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-081; BR-0616; Admiralty G0078; NGA 17680.
Pirarema (Alcantara)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); white flash every 6 s. 12 m (39 ft) octagonal masonry tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view of the lighthouse. Located on a promontory about 12 km (7.5 mi) north of Alcantara, across the Baia de São Marcos from São Luís. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-071; BR-0620; Admiralty G0079; NGA 17695.
Itaúna (Cujupe)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Márcio Magno has a good photo, Juan Felipe Vargas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the west side of the Baia de São Marcos about 25 km (15 mi) west southwest of São Luís. Site status unknown. BR-0628; Admiralty G0087.2; NGA 17700.
Ilha do Medo (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1950). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 31 m (102 ft) skeletal tower mounted on a square masonry tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the highest point of an island in the Baia de São Marcos about 6 km (4 mi) southwest of São Luís. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-052; BR-0640; Admiralty G0087; NGA 17696.
* Ponta de São Marcos (4)
Date unknown (station established 1829). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); long (1.1 s) white flash every 10 s. Approx. 18 m (60 ft) white concrete mast. A photo of the station is available, and Google has a satellite view. This light replaced the 8 m (26 ft) square masonry tower with gallery still listed by NGA; that lighthouse collapsed due to erosion in 1964. São Luís was founded as St. Louis by the French in 1612. Located on the Baia de São Marcos in São Luís, the capital of Maranhão, adjacent to the ruins of a 17th century French fort. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-191; BR-0632; Admiralty G0084; NGA 17688.
* Araçagi (Araçagy)
1957. Active; focal plane 91 m (299 ft); four white flashes every 10 s. 40 m (131 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, painted in a black and white diamond pattern. A Barbier, Bénard & Turenne Fresnel lens is in use. Andrew Comings's photo is at right, Wendell Favacho has a good photo of this stunning lighthouse, David Conder has a fine closeup, CAMR has a closeup, Wikimedia has photos, and Google has a satellite view. The two prominent braces on the rear of the tower and the boat-shaped gallery are part of the original design by AF Costa Brothers, Inc. Located just off the MA-203 coastal highway about 15 km (10 mi) northeast of São Luís. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-005; BR-0800; Admiralty G0090; NGA List 17712.

Farol de São João
São João Light, Ilha Maiau
Capitania dos Portos do Maranhão photo

Farol de Araçagi
Araçagi Light, São Luís, January 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Andrew Comings


Eastern Maranhão Lighthouses
#Ilha de Santana (3)
1883 (station established 1831). Inactive since 1964 and demolished, probably in early 2008. Approx. 42 m (138 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower rising from a circular 2-story cast iron base. With its lantern the tower height was 46 m (151 ft). The first two towers (1831 and 1861) were destroyed by beach erosion, but foundation ruins can be seen on the beach. According to the port captain's account, the third lighthouse remained standing in the late 1990s "por uma ironia da vida" (by an irony of life). One of his office's photos is at right. A December 2007 aerial photo shows the tower partially disassembled, and it seems the demolition must have been completed soon after. Current photos are needed. ARLHS BRA-268.
* Ilha de Santana (4)
1964 (station established 1831). Active; focal plane 91 m (299 ft); light 6 s on followed by 11 s off; two white showings followed by one red. 49 m (161 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The Fresnel lens from the 1883 tower was transferred to this lighthouse. Four 1-story keeper's cottages. Nelson Calmon has a 2010 closeup photo and an aerial photo, the Port Captain's aerial photo appears at right, another aerial photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located on an island at the east entrance to the Baia de São Marcos. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-050; BR-0804; Admiralty G0092; NGA 17716.
Lençóis Grandes
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 72 m (236 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 42 m (138 ft) square skeletal tower, painted red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view of the station. Located at the western edge of the huge Lençóis Maranhenses dune field. Site status unknown. Site manager: Parque Nacional dos Lençóis Maranhenses. ARLHS BRA-148; BR-0806; Admiralty G0093; NGA 17718.
**** Preguiças (Mandacarú) (2)
1940 (station established 1909). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 3 s. 35 m (115 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with four ribs, lantern, and double gallery, painted white with four narrow horizontal black bands. 3rd order Fresnel lens in use. Staffed light station with two 1-story keeper's quarters. Claudinez Lacerda's photo appears at the top of this page, a page has the history of the station, a 2009 photo and another fine photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Mostardas lighthouse in Rio Grande do Sul, this lighthouse replaced a deteriorated 23 m (85 ft) skeletal lighthouse. By far the best known lighthouse of Maranhão state, the tower is at the edge of the Parque Nacional dos Lençóis Maranhenses, which preserves a vast wilderness of sand dunes and ponds. Located at Mandacarú, on the west side of the Rio Preguiça. Site open; tower open daily (and there is an elevator for those who can't climb the 160 steps). ARLHS BRA-089; BR-0808; Admiralty G0094; NGA 17720.
Farol de Santana
Old and new Santana Lights
Capitania dos Portos do Maranhão photo
* Tutóia (2)
2010(?) (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower centered on a square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. A photo of the new lighthouse is available. Sergio Ramos has a small photo (about 2/3 of the way down the page) of the original light, a square skeletal tower with gallery and a small lantern, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Ruins of the old light are on the ground in front of the new one. Located on a point of land about 10 km (6 mi) west of Tutóia. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-205; BR-0812; Admiralty G0097; NGA 17724.

Adjoining pages: North: French Guiana | South: Northeastern Brazil

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 16, 2004. Checked and revised March 12, 2014. Lighthouses: 44, lightfloats: 1. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.