Lighthouses of Southeastern Brazil

This page covers the lighthouses of the three Brazilian states of Espírito Santo, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo. This coast includes South America's most populous region and the major ports of Santos and Rio de Janeiro. For the most part, the coastline features beautiful sandy beaches framed by steep, sometimes mountainous headlands with a scattering of offshore islands.

The Portuguese word for a lighthouse is farol, plural faróis. Like the Spanish word faro, the word farol applies to all light towers, whether they are enclosed structures or not.

Active lighthouses in Brazil are owned by the navy (Marinha do Brasil) and maintained by the Centro de Sinalização Náutica e Reparos Almirante Moraes Rego (CAMR) in the Diretoria de Hidrografia e Navegacão (DHN). Many of the larger lighthouses are staffed by resident keepers or by rotating crews of naval personnel. Only a small number of Brazilian lighthouses are open to the public.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. BR numbers are from the official Brazilian Lista de Faroís. Admiralty numbers are from volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Faroís Brasileiros
This page on the web site of the navy's aids to navigation center (CAMR) has links to photos of many of the lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - Brazil
Photos by various photographers, posted by Alexander Trabas. Most of the Brazilian photos are by Capt. Theo Hinrichs or Capt. Peter Mosselberger.
Lighthouses in Brazil
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lista de faróis do Brasil
Index to articles on the Portuguese Wikipedia.
Leuchttürme Südamerikas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lista de Faróis
Official Brazilian light list available for download.
 

Farol de Santa Luzia
Santa Luzia Light, Vitória, February 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Maria Guimarães

Lighthouses of Espírito Santo

Note: The remote South Atlantic island of Trindade is attached administratively to Espírito Santo. Lighthouses of Trindade are listed on the page for Brazil's Atlantic Islands.
Conceição da Barra Lighthouses
São Mateus (Conceição da Barra) (1)
1914. Inactive since 1999. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A closeup photo is at right, a 2008 closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. An older (2005) photo and Google's street view show traces of the former daymark, red and white horizontal bands. This lighthouse, a typical French cast iron tourelle, was originally built on the north side of the Rio Cricaré, also called the Rio São Mateus. Formerly in poor condition, the lighthouse was beautifully restored sometime in 2005-07. The river's mouth has moved southward, and the light has been moved to a modern fiberglass tower on the south side of the river. Located near the south end of the beachfront of Conceição da Barra. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-192; ex-Admiralty G0312.
São Mateus (Conceição da Barra) (2)
1999. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round fiberglass tower rising from a 1-story equipment shelter. Lighthouse colored white with one red horizontal band. Henrique Cristovão has a distant view, another distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a dune south of the mouth of the Rio Cricaré, also called the Rio São Mateus. Site open, tower closed. BR-1852; Admiralty G0312; NGA 18213.

Regência Lighthouses
Suçuraca (2)
2002. Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); two white flashes, separated by 9 s, every 30 s. 40 m (131 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with one broad black horizontal band. Redi Siqueira has an aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Probably a sibling of Rio Doce (2). A 2002 Brazilian Navy notice to mariners indicates this tower replaced a light with a focal plane of only 24 m (80 ft). Located about 55 km (35 mi) north of Regência. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-247; BR-1854; Admiralty G0313.5; NGA 18214.
*** Rio Doce (Regência) (1)
1895. Inactive since 1994. Originally a 34 m (112 ft) octagonal cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder; in 1997 the lighthouse was demolished but the lantern, lens, and 2-story watch room were relocated in front of the Museu Histórico de Regência. Lighthouse painted red, lantern roof white. A closeup photo is available, Cristina Araujo Trancoso also has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was first built on the east side of the entrance to the Rio Doce, but was relocated to the west side in 1907. Site and tower open. Owner/site manager: Museu Histórico de Regência. ARLHS BRA-272.

São Mateus Light, Conceição da Barra, November 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Juniorzzii
* Rio Doce (Regência) (2)
1997. Active; focal plane approx. 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 6 s. Approx. 40 m (131 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with one broad red horizontal band. Sidinei Carvalho's photo is at right, Leandros Moreira has a good photo, Paulo Randow has photos of the original and new lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Built on one side of the concrete foundation pad of the original lighthouse, on the south side of Regência and the west side of the entrance to the Rio Doce. Site appears to be open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-088; BR-1860; Admiralty G0316; NGA 18216.
Barra do Riacho
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The lighthouse appears at the upper right of an aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the new Portocel seaport near the resort city of Barra do Riacho about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Regência. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-011; BR-1868; Admiralty G0316.5; NGA 18228.

Vitória Lighthouses
Tubarão Sul (South Breakwater)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); quick-flashing red light. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower colored with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Tubarão is a new port developed on a peninsula on the east side of the bay of Vitória. Located at the end of a breakwater pier at Tubarão. Site and tower closed. BR-1952; Admiralty G0320.4; NGA 18247.
Tubarão Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); quick-flashing white light. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored with orange and white horizontal bands. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The front light, also seen in Capt. Hinrichs's photo, is on a similar but much smaller tower on a platform in the water. Located about 100 m (90 yd) off the beach at the northeastern corner of the bay. Site status unknown, but there should be a view from the bayside street. BR-1940; Admiralty G0320.2; NGA 18242.
Farol
Rio Doce Light, Regência, March 2007
Panoramio photo copyright Sidinei Carvalho; permission requested
* Ilha do Boi (Vitória Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); continuous light, white, red or green depending on direction. Approx. 60 m (197 ft) tower carrying a disk-shaped water tank. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, Mariana Cavatti has an aerial view of Ilha do Boi in which the tower is centered atop the hill, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The light also serves as the front light of a range, the rear light being on a tower on a ridge in the city (next entry). Long since joined to the mainland, the Ilha do Boi is a peninsula on the north side of the harbor entrance to Vitória, the state capital. Located at the eastern tip of the peninsula. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-082; BR-1992; Admiralty G0322; NGA 18264.
Morro Grande (Vitória Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 208 m (682 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower with central cylinder, painted white with a red horizontal band. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a mountaintop about 2.7 km (1.7 mi) west of the front light. Site status unknown. BR-1996; Admiralty G0322.1; NGA 18268.
** Santa Luzia
1870. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); four white flashes, separated by 2 s, every 12 s. 12 m (39 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with buttressed base, lantern and gallery, painted white. Maria Guimarães's photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, another good photo is available, CAMR has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was prefabricated in Britain. After being closed for some nine years, this historic tower was reopened to visitors in August 2003. Located on the Ponta Santa Luzia on the south side of the entrance to the Bahia do Espírito Santo and the port of Vitória. Site open; tower open Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. ARLHS BRA-095; BR-1980; Admiralty G0320; NGA 18240.

Guarapari Lighthouses
Ilha Escalvada
1907. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two quick white flashes every 6 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. CAMR's photo is at right, Luciano Daniel has a colorized 2009 photo, Julio Bede has a view from the sea, Wikimedia has a distant view from the sea, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky island about 10 km (6 mi) of the coast near Guarapari. Accessible only by boat. ARLHS BRA-033; BR-2088; Admiralty G0330; NGA 18316.
Ilha do Francês (Ilha dos Franceses)
1883. Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); white light 2 s on, 13 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is dark stone with white stone "edges" at the four corners; lantern painted white. The keeper's house, formerly attached, has been demolished, but traces of its wall cling to the tower. James Altoé Duarte has a photo, a closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Distinctively French in design, the lighthouse was built in fact by French engineers, who are remembered in the name of the island. Located on an island about 20 miles southwest of Guarapari. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-051; BR-2140; Admiralty G0332; NGA 18324.
Farol da Escalvada
Ilha Escalvada Light, Guarapari
CAMR photo

Lighthouses of Rio de Janeiro State

São Francisco de Itabapoana Lighthouses
* Barra de Itabapoana (3)
2006 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); green flash every 6 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower; the top of the tower also carries a slatted daymark. Entire lighthouse painted white. Wikimapia has a photo, Google has a good street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light here was a 10 m (33 ft) skeletal tower located near the beach; it may have been damaged in a storm. It was replaced in 2003 by a 6 m (20 ft) fiberglass tower at the current location; probably this light proved to be too short for mariners to see clearly. Located beside the coastal highway, about 60 m (200 ft) southeast of the former lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-117; BR-2146; Admiralty G0335; NGA 18330.
* Ponta do Retiro
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with a red horizontal band. A photo is at right, Lafa Oliveira has a closeup, Kátia Vianna also has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located about 5 km (3 mi) south of Barra de Itabapoana. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-235; BR-2146.4; Admiralty G0335.5; NGA 18330.5.
Guaxindiba (2)
2003(?). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark panel, painted white. Wikimapia has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. NGA lists a round fiberglass tower, colored with black and white horizontal bands; this light has been removed. Note: the São Mateus lighthouse in Conceição da Barra (see above) is also called the Farol de Guaxindiba. Located just off the beach about 5 km (3 mi) east of São Francisco de Itabapoana. Site probably open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-039; BR-2147; Admiralty G0336; NGA 18331.
* Atafona (São João da Barra) (4)
2007 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 25 m (82 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Eduardo Ribeiro Neto has a photo, Carlos Adesá has a blog with a photo (halfway down the page) and some historical information, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The light is named for the Pontal de Atafona, a former seaside resort nearby that is being destroyed by beach erosion. The original light was a cast iron tower. It was replaced by a masonry lighthouse in 1910, and that lighthouse was lost to beach erosion in 1982. The third lighthouse, a skeletal tower, was also demolished when it was endangered by the sea. Located one block off the beach near the north end of São João da Barra, marking the entrance to the Rio Paraíba. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-008; BR-2148; Admiralty G0338; NGA 18332.
Farol do Retiro
Ponta do Retiro Light, São Francisco de Itabapoana
December 2010
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Imponente

Campos and Quissamã Lighthouses
* [Açu (Barra do Açu) (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1948). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No lantern. Norma Coelho has a photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This tower, typical of many modern Brazilian lights, replaced a masonry lighthouse. Located beside the coastal highway about 7 km (4 mi) northeast of Farol de São Thomé. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-249; BR-2152; Admiralty G0340; NGA 18336.
**** São Tomé (São Thomé)
1882. Active; focal plane 161 ft; two long (3 s) white flashes, separated by 10.5 s, every 67.5 s. 45 m (148 ft) octagonal pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder, painted red; lantern dome painted white. This lighthouse was designed in France by the firm of Gustave Eiffel and prefabricated by Barbier & Fenestre. Liana Siqueira's 2007 photo shows the lighthouse freshly painted, a page for the lighthouse has photos and historical information, CAMR has two photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Cabo São Tomé is a prominent headland in the northeastern corner of Rio de Janeiro state. However, the lighthouse is not actually on the cape; it is at the end of the Av. Boa Vista in Farol de São Thomé, a town about 30 miles southeast of the city of Campos dos Goytacazes and 7 km (4 mi) southwest of the cape. Site open; tower open in late afternoons daily. ARLHS BRA-097; BR-2156; Admiralty G0342; NGA 18340.
* Quissamã
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 40 m (131 ft) round concrete tower painted white with two red horizontal bands in the lower third of the tower. No lantern. Paulo Noronha has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the beach about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Cabo São Tomé. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parque Nacional da Restinga de Jurubatiba. ARLHS BRA-237; BR-2158; Admiralty G0343; NGA 18342.

Macaé Lighthouses
* Macaé (1) (Ponta da Imbetiba)
1880 (Gustavo Frederico Fischer). Inactive since 1902(?). Approx. 6 m (20 ft) ruined stone tower. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Some restoration work was done on the tower in 1999. Located on the Ponta da Imbetiba about 3 km (2 mi) south of the center of Macaé, a seaport roughly 70 km (45 mi) northeast of Cabo Frio. Site and tower open. ARLHS BRA-271.
* Macaé (2) (Ilhas de Santana, Sant'Anna)
1902. Active; focal plane 156 m (512 ft); alternating red and white light, on 2.3 s, off 7.7 s. 16 m (52 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white, rising from 1-story masonry keeper's house. A photo is at right, CAMR has a good photo, a 2007 photo and another photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the Ilha de Sant'Anna, a rocky island about 11 km (7 mi) southeast of the Ponta da Imbetiba. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-062; BR-2160; Admiralty G0346; NGA 18344.
Farol de Macaé
Macaé Light, Ilha de Sant'Anna, Macaé
Prefeitura Municipal de Macaé photo

Cabo Frio Lighthouses
* Lajinha (Laginha)
1913. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); red flash every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal skeletal concrete tower with enclosed lower section. Lighthouse painted white. Wagner Pereira has a photo, a closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory just east of the beaches of Cabo Frio; accessible by a hiking trail. The location is known for its spectacular view. Site open, tower closed. BR-2200; Admiralty G0350; NGA 18356.
[Cabo Frio (1)]
1836(?). Inactive since 1862(?). Ruins of the original round stone lighthouse. No photo available, but Bing's satellite view shows that most or all of the tower survives. Some sources give 1833 as the date for this lighthouse. The Ilha de Cabo Frio, an island just off the mainland, marks a right-angle turn in the coast about 80 miles east of Rio de Janeiro. The cape is a notoriously dangerous place for ships. Built on the highest point of the island at an elevation of about 390 m (1275 ft), the lighthouse was abandoned because it was too high for its light to be seen in foggy weather. It was replaced in 1862 (some sources say 1866) by a 16 m (52 ft) stone tower near the present location but higher, with a focal plane of 159 m (522 ft). The island is accessible by boat from Arraial do Cabo on the mainland, but permits from the navy's research institute, the Instituto de Estudos do Mar Almirante Paulo Moreira, are required (apply at the institute's museum, the Museu Oceanográfico, in Arraial do Cabo). The lighthouse is reached by a steep and difficult trail. ARLHS BRA-269.
Cabo Frio (3)
1925. Active; focal plane 144 m (472 ft); white light, 1.2 s on, 8.8 s off. 16 m (52 ft) round cast iron tower rising from a 1-story keeper's quarters. Entire light station painted white. Staffed light station. Trabas has Capt. Theo's view from the sea (also seen at right), another photo and a third photo (halfway down the page) are available, CAMR has a photo, Wikimedia has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. The light station is perched on the steep bluff rising from the sea at the point of the cape, on the southern tip of the island. Site and tower closed. ARLHS BRA-018; BR-2400; Admiralty G0352; NGA 18360.
Cabo Frio Light
Cabo Frio Light, Arraial do Cabo
photo copyright Capt. Theo Hinrichs; used by permission

Rio de Janeiro Lighthouses
* Ponta Negra (2)
Date unknown (station established 1909). Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower, rising from a square 1-story concrete equipment building. Entire lighthouse painted white. Ricardo Lugão Pereira has a photo, another closeup photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a rocky headland about 13 km (8 mi) southeast of Maricá and 40 km (25 mi) east of the Baía de Guanabara entrance. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-080; BR-2412; Admiralty G0356; NGA 18364.
Ilha Maricás
Date unknown (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 80 m (262 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and a small lantern, painted white with one black horizontal band. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's distant photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located atop an island about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of the entrance to the Baía de Guanabara, the harbor of Rio de Janeiro. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS BRA-046; BR-2416; Admiralty G0358; NGA 18368.
Ilha Rasa
1829. Active; focal plane 101 m (331 ft); flash every 5 s, two white and then one red. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a 3-story stone keeper's quarters; very rare meso-radial Soutter et Lemunier Fresnel lens (1883). Lighthouse painted white with brown trim; lantern is all white. Luiz Flavio's photo is at right, CAMR has a photo, another closeup is available, Larry Myhre has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a famous lighthouse, Brazil's oldest, and an outstanding example of Brazilian colonial-style architecture. The light station is staffed by a crew of four, with 3-month tours of duty. The lens is one of only two meso-radial lenses known to have been produced; these lenses are larger than 1st order but smaller than the great hyper-radial lenses. Located on an island about 11 km (7 mi) off the entrance to the Baía de Guanabara, the harbor of Rio de Janeiro. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed (the entire island is a Brazilian Navy base); the lighthouse can be seen distantly from the Ipanema beach. ARLHS BRA-047; BR-2420; Admiralty G0360; NGA 18372.
* Fortaleza de Santa Cruz
1839. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 6 m (20 ft) square stone tower with lantern, mounted atop the center of the fort. The modern light is mounted on a short post atop the lantern. Nelson Calmon has a good photo, Trabas has Capt. Theo's photo, Laura Braun has a closeup, Wikimedia has two photos, Leandro Moreira's panoramic view of the fort shows the location of the light tower, and Google has a satellite view. Built in the late 1500s, the fort guards the east side of the entrance to the harbor of Rio de Janeiro, in Niterói. Site open, fort open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-094; BR-2432; Admiralty G0367; NGA 18380.
Ilha de Laje
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal concrete tower, painted green. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo, another view from the bay is available, and Google has a satellite view. The tiny island of Laje is almost completely covered by a fort. Located at the east end of the islet, in the entrance to the harbor of Rio de Janeiro. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. BR-2436; Admiralty G0368; NGA 18384.
Farol da Ilha Rasa
Ilha Rasa Light, Rio de Janeiro, September 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Luiz Flavio
* Ponta da Armação
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 10 s. 19 m (62 ft) square concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. CAMR has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the southeastern tip of the Ponta D'Areia peninsula in Niterói, on the east side of the harbor of Rio de Janeiro. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-168; BR-2450; Admiralty G0382.25; NGA 18413.
* [Ilha da Paquetá (Ponta da Rabeira)]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 16 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical masonry clock tower, painted white. A photo and a second photo are available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a pier on the east side of the Ilha da Paquetá, an island of upscale homes in the upper portion of the Baía de Guanabara. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. BR-2522; Admiralty G0398; NGA 18452.5.
 

Ilha Grande Area Lighthouses
Ponta de Castelhanos (Farol dos Castelhanos)
1901. Active; focal plane 121 m (397 ft); white light, on 6 s, then two flashes during the next 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal masonry (stone?) tower rising from 1-story masonry keeper's quarters. Entire structure painted white; roofs are red. Staffed station. Edmar Moreira's photo is at right, Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's distant view, a closeup of the top of the tower is available, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Ponta do Boi lighthouse (see below). Located at the eastern end of the Ilha Grande, a large island readily accessible by ferry from Angra dos Reis or Mangaratiba on the mainland, roughly 120 km (75 mi) west of Rio de Janeiro. Site open and accessible by hiking trail; the keeper will sometimes conduct tours of the tower. ARLHS BRA-076; BR-2716; Admiralty G0408; NGA 18472
[Juatinga]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 175 m (574 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal white concrete tower. Redi Siqueira has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This light enjoys a spectacular view of the Atlantic and is a popular destination for hikers in the Juatinga Ecological Reserve. Located at the tip of the peninsula on the west side of the entrance to the Bahia de Ilha Grande. Accessible by a hiking trail. Site open, and nothing prevents visitors from climbing the external ladder of the tower. Site manager: Reserva Ecológica de Juatinga. BR-3156; Admiralty G0458; NGA 18556.
Farol dos Castelhanos
Ponta dos Castelhanos Light, Ilha Grande, January 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Edmar Moreira

Lighthouses of São Paulo State

Ilhabela Area Lighthouses
* Ubatuba (Ponta Grossa)
1932. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 5 m (17 ft) post mounted on a rectangular concrete structure, apparently the base of the original lighthouse. A closeup photo, a second closeup, and a spectacular aerial view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the tip of a narrow peninsula sheltering the bay of Ubatuba. Accessible by road (inquire locally). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-206; BR-3160; Admiralty G0462; NGA 18560.
* Ponta das Canas
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The Museu Náutico Ilhabela has photos (halfway down the page), another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the northwestern coast of Ilhabela, a large island off the mainland town of São Sebastião. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. BR-3184; Admiralty G0470; NGA 18572.
Ponta do Boi
1900. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white light, on 2.5 s, off 7.5 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A photo by Jeannis Michail Platon is at right, Thomas Kremer has a small photo, additional small photos are available, Bruno A. Rocha has a good aerial photo (click the photo for a much larger view), and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is in a state park, the Parque Estadual de Ilhabela. It took two years and some imaginative engineering to build the lighthouse at this remote location. Located atop a steep bluff on the southeastern tip of the large Ilhabela about 35 km (20 mi) southeast of São Sebastião. Site open, but the nautical museum calls the site quase que inacessível por terra, almost inaccessible by land. Tower closed. ARLHS BRA-082; BR-3176; Admiralty G0484; NGA 18616.
Ponta da Sela
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Flavio Galib has a view from the sea, and a second view from the sea is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the western tip of the Ilha São Sebastião. Site status unknown. BR-3264; Admiralty G0480; NGA 18612.
Farol de Ponta do Boi
Ponta do Boi Light, Ilhabela
Museu Náutico Ilhabela photo by Jeannis Michail Platon
Alcatrazes (Ilha do Porto) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1912). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, painted white. CAMR has a photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view of the tiny island on which the light stands. Located on Ilha do Porto, a skerry in the Arquipelago de Alcatrazes, a group of small islands about 80 km (50 mi) southeast of Santos and a similar distance southwest of São Sebastião. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS BRA-044; BR-3268; Admiralty G0490; NGA 18624.

Santos Lighthouses
Ilha da Moela (2)
1895 (station established 1831). Active; focal plane 110 m (361 ft); light displays white 15 s, off 4 s, white 1.5 s, off 4 s, white 15 s, off 9.5 s, red 1.5 s, off 9.5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Fresnel lens in use. Entire lighthouse painted white. Paulo Daniel's photo is at right, Thiago Teixeira has a good photo, CAMR has a photo, a historic photo is available, Gustavo Amanda has a distant view of the island and lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was described as a 12 m (39 ft) "white tower" with a focal plane of 102 m (334 ft). This is a staffed naval station including the lighthouse, communications facilities (1956), and a weather station (1953). Located on an island about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of the entrance to the Baía de Santos, the harbor of São Paulo. Site and tower closed (the entire island is a Brazilian Navy base). ARLHS BRA-043; BR-3288; Admiralty G0496; NGA 18636.
Ilha das Palmas
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); red flash every 3 s. 4 m (13 ft) red post light mounted on the south corner of a 1-story fishing club building. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island just offshore at the eastern entrance to the Baia dos Santos. The island is connected to the mainland by a footbridge. Site status unknown. Site manager: Clube de Pesca de Santos. BR-3292; Admiralty G0497; NGA 18640.
Rio de Meio Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and a square concrete lantern enclosure. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. The light has been moved atop the lantern. Trabas and Mosselberger have a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The front light is a 7 m (23 ft) square concrete tower carrying a quick-flashing white light. Located in Rio de Meio, a neighborhood on the southeast side of the Santos estuary. Site status unknown (the land may be private). ARLHS BRA-288; BR-3316; Admiralty G0501.1; NGA 18664.
* Itapema (Alfândega)
About 1908. Inactive since 1976. Approx. 12 m (40 ft) square cylindrical tower with attached keeper's cottage. Maria Carambola has posted a photo, Andreas Köhler has a photo, there is also another photo and a historic photo (at the bottom of the page), and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is located in the Forte do Itapema, a sixteenth century fort largely destroyed by fire in 1883. In 1905 the building was transferred to the customs office (Alfândega), and in 1908 that office was directed to build a lighthouse tower with searchlights. In 1976 (some sources say 1975) the tower was itself gutted by fire. It is in poor condition. There are proposals to restore both the fort and the lighthouse as tourist attractions. Andreas Köhler visited in early 2009 and found no restoration in progress. Site open, tower closed. Located on an island on the east side of the Santos Estuary, across from the waterfront of Santos and close to a ferry terminal. Site status and management unknown. ARLHS BRA-140.
Ilha da Moela Light
Ilha da Moela Light, Santos, June 2013
Panoramio photo copyright Paulo Daniel
used by permission
* Itapema Norte
1976(?). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and the tower is seen in Maria Carambola's photo of the Forte do Itapema. NGA lists the tower height as 14 m (46 ft), but this is clearly an error. Located in front of the Forte do Itapema (previous entry). Site open, tower closed. BR-3360; Admiralty G0502.4; NGA 18676.
* Ponta da Praia (Range Rear)
Date unknown (1960s?). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous light, white, red or green depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Tiago Rocha has a closeup, another photo is available, Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, Wikimedia has Emilio Pechini's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This was originally the rear light of a range, but it has been converted to a leading (directional) light. Ruins of the old front light are visible offshore, as seen in Juan Reol's photo. Located near the east end of the beach in Santos, marking the north side of the entrance to the inner harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-287; BR-3308; Admiralty G0499.1; NGA 18656.
* Praia do Boqueirão Range Rear
Date unknown (1960s?). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 17 m (56 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Daniel Pascoal has a fine photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo seen at right, Wikimedia has a nice photo by Luc Móvel, Lívia Cunha also has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The front light is a much shorter tower. Located in a park on the waterfront of Santos near the boulevard of Siqueira Campos. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-284; BR-3300; Admiralty G0498.1; NGA 18648.

Southwest Coast Lighthouses
Ilha Queimada Grande
1909. Active; focal plane 82 m (270 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. Roberto Nogueira has a distant photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on one of the summits of a high island about 35 km (20 mi) southeast of Itanhaém. Accessible only by boat, and the island lacks landing facilities. Site and tower closed. ARLHS BRA-086; BR-3500; Admiralty G0512; NGA 18700.
* Icapara
1991. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped, vertically slatted daymark. Luciano Faustino has a closeup photo, a 2010 photo and a distant view are available, Paulinho Trudes has a view taken from the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent headland at Icapara. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-135; BR-3502; Admiralty G0513.5; NGA 18702.
Praia do Boqueirão Range Rear Light
Praia do Boqueirão Light, Santos
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger
used by permission
Ilha do Bom Abrigo
1886. Active; focal plane 146 m (479 ft); flash every 10 s, with two white flashes followed by a red flash. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Guto Santinelli has a good photo, a distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located high atop the Ilha do Bom Abrigo, the "Island of Good Shelter," outside the entrance to the harbor of Cananéia. Accessible only by boat. Site status uncertain, tower closed. ARLHS BRA-013; BR-3508; Admiralty G0516; NGA 18704.

Adjoining pages: North: Bahia | South: Southern Brazil

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted January 30, 2004. Checked and revised April 14, 2014. Lighthouses: 45. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.