Lighthouses of Spain: Catalonia

Catalonia is an autonomous region of Spain, located in the northeastern corner of the country. The name of the region is spelled Cataluña in Spanish and Catalunya in the Catalan languange spoken by most of the inhabitants. Three of the region's four provinces face the Mediterranean: Girona, Barcelona, and Tarragona. Barcelona, the regional capital, is Spain's second largest city.

A lighthouse is called a faro in Spanish or a far in Catalan, but the use of these words is generally restricted to the larger coastal light stations. Smaller lighthouses are called balizas (beacons) in Spanish, balisas in Catalan. The navigational lights in Spain are regulated at the national level by the Comisíon de Faros, but they are operated and maintained by regional port authorities. In Catalonia there are two port authorities, Tarragona and Barcelona. The Barcelona authority is also responsible for lighthouses in Girona.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. ES numbers are from the Spanish national list of lights, Libro de Faros. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Libro de Faros y Señales de Niebla
Online edition of the official Spanish light list.
Historia de los Faros
Fact sheets on the major lighthouses, with historical information, posted by the national port authority Puertos de España.
El Fars de Catalunya
This attractive 80-page booklet on the lighthouses of Catalonia was printed by the Generalitat de Catalunya; it downloads in pdf format.
Online List of Lights - Spain East Coast
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Photos by MASTerry - Lighthouses
Photos by former lighthouse keeper Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry.
Phares de Catalogne
A portfolio of about 20 fine photos by Karl R. Spitzer, posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller.
Lighthouses in Catalonia
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses in Spain
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Spanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Calella Light
Calella Light, Calella, April 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Enfo

Lighthouses of Girona

Notes: Lighthouses in Girona are operated and maintained by the Autoridat Portuària de Barcelona. The coastline of Girona is well known to travelers as the Costa Brava (Wild Coast).
Alt Empordà (Cabo Creus Area) Lighthouses
* Punta s'Arnella (Port de la Selva)
1913. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Keeper's house unpainted; light tower painted white; lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a good photo by Arno Siering, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. La Selva is a small port on the north side of the Cap de Creus massif. Located on a promontory on the west side of the harbor of Port de la Selva. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-287; ES-31780; Admiralty E0488; NGA 5992.
** Cap de Creus (Cabo Creus)
1853. Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) 2-stage cylindrical masonry tower, lower part square and upper part round, with lantern and double gallery, centered on the roof of a large 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern is all glass including the dome. Avi Olmus's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, Wikimedia has Michael Pfeiffer's 2010 photo and a 2005 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is Catalonia's second oldest lighthouse, marking the easternmost point of the Spanish mainland and the western entrance to France's Golfe du Lion. Perched on a spectacular promontory overlooking the Mediterranean, the lighthouse has been converted into a visitor center for the popular Cabo Creus national park; thus it is now one of Spain's best known and most visited lighthouses. Located on the Punta de la Esquenya, about 500 m (1/4 mi) southwest of the point of the cape. Site and lighthouse open, tower status unknown. Site manager: Parque Natural de Cap de Creus. ARLHS SPA-059; ES-31730; Admiralty E0486; NGA 5988.
Cala Nans (Cadaqués)
1864. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); five white flashes, in a 4+1 pattern, every 25 s. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery mounted on a small 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is metallic gray. Trabas has a photo, Enric Brunet also has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This little lighthouse has a wild location overlooking the natural harbor of Cadaqués, tucked into the Cap de Creus massif. In 1982, residents of the tiny fishing village protested vigorously when the Comisíon de Faros announced plans to demolish the dilapidated lighthouse and replace it with a modern post light. They prevailed, and the lighthouse was restored instead. The light station is located in a large national park. Located on a steep promontory on the south side of harbor entrance at Cadaqués. Probably accessible by hiking the access road. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parque Natural de Cap de Creus. ARLHS SPA-075; ES-31680; Admiralty E0484; NGA 5984.
Far de Cap Creus
Cap Creus Light, Cadaqués, May 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Avi Olmus
* Roses (Punta de la Batería, Punta Blancals)
1864. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light occulting four times every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is metallic gray. Trabas has Arno Siering's closeup photo, another good photo is available, Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is built on the ruins of the Castillo de la Trinidad, overlooking the north shore of the Golf de Roses on the south side of the Cap de Creus massif. Located on a promontory about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Roses. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from nearby. ARLHS SPA-237; ES-31610; Admiralty E0476; NGA 5972.

Baix Empordà Lighthouses
Illes Medes (Islas Medas)
1868. Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); four white flashes every 24 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with gallery, centered on the roof of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lantern removed; the light is displayed atop a short mast. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a distant view from the sea, Christian Cabre has a view of the station, Wikimedia also has a view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view showing the tower with its original lantern, and Google has a satellite view. This was the last lighthouse built in the program of the 1860s, which lit most of the Spanish coast. Difficult and dangerous to access, this was one of the first lighthouses in Spain to be automated (1933) and one of the first to be converted to solar power (1982). Located atop a rocky islet about 1.5 km (1 mi) east of L'Estartit. Inaccessible, and difficult to view even from the sea. Site and tower closed. ARLHS SPA-161; ES-31300; Admiralty E0472; NGA 5944.
* Cap Sant Sebastià (Cabo de San Sebastian)
1857 (José Ma. Faquinetto). Active; focal plane 167 m (548 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower centered on the roof of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is all glass including the dome. Jonatan Romero's photo is at right, Daniel Ferriera Baltà has a nice photo, Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, Wikimedia has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. One of the most important and most famous lighthouses of Spain's Mediterranean coast. The cape is a bulge in the coastline that marks the southeastern end of the Pyrenees and the southwestern corner of the Golfo de Léon, or Golfe du Lion as it is better known in French. It appears that the original first-order lens has been replaced by a powerful modern lens. The listed range of the light is 32 nautical miles (59 km, 37 mi), but the port authority claims it can often be seen at a distance of 50 nautical miles (93 km, 58 mi). Located high on the cape on the east side of Llafranc and about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Palafrugell. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from nearby. ARLHS SPA-045; ES-31250; Admiralty E0470; NGA 5940.
Islote Hormiga Grande
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three white flashes every 9 s. 6 m (20 ft) post attached to a square 1-story equipment building. Lighthouse is white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the highest point of a rocky reef off the point of Cap Roig, about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Palamós. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ES-31140; Admiralty E0467; NGA 5932.
* Palamós (Punta del Molí, Punta del Molino)
1865. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); five white flashes, in a 1+4 pattern, every 18 s. 8 m (26 ft) hexagonal cylindrical masonry tower, with lantern, round watch room, and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. 1-story masonry keeper's house. Trabas has a closeup photo by Arno Siering, Carlos Olmo also has a closeup, Huelse has a postcard view dated 1900, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was restored in 1975 to repair numerous cracks in the masonry, including many created by nearby bombing during the Spanish Civil War. Located on a sharp promontory south of the harbor of Palamós. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-224; ES-31041; Admiralty E0462; NGA 5916.
* Sant Feliu de Guíxols
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); three green flashes every 9 s. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with gallery, centered on a square 1-story masonry equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white with a green band at the top. Trabas has a good photo, and Google has an aerial view. Located on the breakwater mole at Sant Feliu de Guíxols. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-120; ES-30960; Admiralty E0456; NGA 5900.
Cap Sany SebastiàLight
Cap Sant Sebastià Light, Palafrugell, September 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jonatan Romero

La Selva Lighthouse
*** Tossa de Mar (Cabo Tossa)
1919. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 20 s. 12 m (36 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has Arno Siering's photo, a closeup is available, Wikimedia has photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Tossa de Mar is a medieval fortified town. Most of the ancient castillo has vanished into ruins (one ruined tower was demolished to provide stone for the lighthouse), but the walls are largely intact and many medieval buildings also remain. Located at the point of the cape above the walled town, with a sweeping view of the Mediterranean. Site open, tower open for climbing although no information has been found on the schedule. ARLHS SPA-051; ES-30910; Admiralty E0453; NGA 5896.

Lighthouses of Barcelona

Note: Lighthouses in Barcelona are operated and maintained by the Autoridat Portuària de Barcelona.
Maresme Lighthouse
* Calella
1859. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); five white flashes, in a 3+2 pattern, every 20 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from the front of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Original 3rd order Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern is all glass including the dome. A photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has an excellent photo by Arno Siering, Robert Agran has a photo, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. During the Spanish Civil War the light station was fortified with anti-aircraft guns and was attacked several times but not heavily damaged. Located on a bluff behind the beach on the west side of Calella, about 65 km (40 mi) northeast of Barcelona. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from nearby. ARLHS SPA-076; ES-30810; Admiralty E0448; NGA 5888.

Barcelonès (Barcelona City) Lighthouses
* Barcelona (Torre del Rellotge, Torre del Reloj)
1772. Inactive since about 1860. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square pyramidal masonry clock tower; the top of the tower formerly carried a lantern and gallery instead of the clock faces seen today. Alberto Gijon Molina has a photo, a closeup is available, Wikimedia has several photos, and Bing has an aerial view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the lighthouse and a second postcard view of the building after it was converted to a clock tower in 1911. Lights were provided in Barcelona as early as 1697, but this is the only survivor of the rather large number of harbor lights built and removed at various times as the port developed. Located at the Moll des Pescadors on the downtown Barcelona waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-344.
Montjuïc (2)
1925 (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 108 m (354 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 13 m (43 ft) 3-story masonry keeper's house with lantern centered on the roof. The front of the lighthouse is painted white with red trim; the lantern is unpainted gray metallic. A photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Peter Mosselberger, Spitzer also has a photo (#12 in the portfolio), a good photo taken from below the lighthouse is available, Javier Ortega Figueiral has a 2011 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Montjuïc is a mountain that rises steeply above the harbor of Barcelona, crowned by the historic Castillo de Montjuïc. The lighthouse is built partway up the mountain, an area that is not open to the public. One can look down on the lighthouse from the area in front of the Castillo, and drivers on the Ronda del Litoral expressway at the foot of the mountain can glance up and see it. Site and tower closed. ARLHS SPA-183; ES-29700; Admiralty E0400; NGA 5760.

Montjuïc Light, Barcelonès, December 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by SantiMB

Baix Llobregat Lighthouse
Llobregat
1852 (Simón Ferrer). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 5 s. 31 m (102 ft) cylindrical masonry tower, the lower part square and the upper part octagonal, with lantern and three galleries, rising from the center of a circular 2-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is pale yellow with gold-colored trim; the lantern is all glass including the dome. Robert Morancho's photo is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo by Capt. Peter Mosselberger, another photo is available, and Bing has an aerial view. This historic lighthouse, Catalonia's oldest, is now surrounded by industrial development on the south side of Barcelona's harbor. It has had an eventful history. In its earlier days it was threatened by beach erosion, and for a time it was surrounded by water, but fill now has it definitely on dry land. It was actually ordered demolished at the time the Montjuïc lighthouse was built (1925), but mariners' protests saved it from destruction. Located on the north side of the mouth of the Río Llobregat, on the mainland opposite the entrance to the port of Barcelona. Site and tower closed; due to security concerns the area is now closed to the public. ARLHS SPA-001; ES-29630; Admiralty E0398; NGA 5752.

Garraf Lighthouse
* Vilanova i la Geltrú (Sant Cristòfor) (2)
1905 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 8 s. 21 m (69 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Trabas has a good photo, another excellent photo is available, Wikimedia has a photo, and Bing has an aerial view. Located behind the beach on Punta Sant Cristòfor (Punta San Cristobol) in Vilanova i la Geltrú, a seaside town about halfway between Tarragona and Barcelona. Site and tower closed (fenced) but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. ARLHS SPA-272; ES-29340; Admiralty E0396; NGA 5708.
Llobregat Light
Llobregat Light, Barcelonès, April 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Robert Morancho

Lighthouses of Tarragona

Note: Lighthouses in Tarragona are operated and maintained by the Autoritat Portuària de Tarragona.
Tarragonès (Tarragona City) Lighthouses
* Torredembarra
2000. Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); five white flashes every 30 s. 38 m (125 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and a unique "roofed" watch room. The tower is white; watch room covered by brown siding. C.W. Bash has posted has a fine photo by Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry, Joan Grifols has a 2010 closeup photo, Trabas has a good view from the sea, Wikimedia has a photo, and Bing has an aerial view. This unusual modern lighthouse is a late addition to Spain's efforts in the 1990s to improve navigational aids along all its coasts. The light was inaugurated in a millennium celebration on New Year's Day 2000. Located on Punta de la Galera, at the end of the Avenguda de la Galera in Torredembarra, a residential community about 13 km (8 mi) east of Tarragona. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-130; ES-29105; Admiralty E0393.7; NGA 5691.5.
* Tarragona Muelle de Aragón
1923. Inactive as an official aid to navigational since 1990, but an unofficial light (two white flashes every 12 s) is displayed. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a square 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is blue with ocher trim. Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a good photo, and Google has an aerial view. When it was built, this lighthouse stood at the end of the Tarragona Dique de Levante, the main breakwater, but later extensions of the breakwater caused the lighthouse to become less and less useful. The navigational function of the light was taken over by the relocated Faro de la Banya (previous entry) in 1988. After deactivation the building deteriorated and part of it was actually demolished. A restoration was launched in 1997, and in 1999 the lighthouse was relit with its historic characteristic. The light is shielded from the sea to avoid confusing ships. Located near an elbow of the Tarragona main breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-346.
*** Tarragona Dique de Levante (La Banya (1))
1864. Reactivated (inactive 1978-1988); focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white light, 2 s on, 1 s off. 18 m (59 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of an hexagonal 1-story cast iron keeper's house mounted on pilings. Lighthouse painted white, lantern gray. Sergio Morchon's photo is at right, Pepa Vives has a good photo, and Trabas has an excellent closeup, and Google has an aerial view. This lighthouse, the original Far de la Banya, was relocated in 1984 to the east breakwater (Dique de Levante) in Tarragona. It was restored in 1988 and converted to a restaurant in 1992. However, in 1996 changes to the layout of the port temporarily eliminated public auto access to the site, and the restaurant was closed. In 2003 the lighthouse was renovated and reopened as the Museu de Fars (Lighthouse Musuem), with exhibits on the history of Spanish lighthouses and the lighthouses of Tarragona province. Located near the end of the main breakwater of Tarragona. Site open, museum open every Sunday, top of tower closed. Site manager: Museu del Port de Tarragona. ARLHS SPA-108; ES-28761; Admiralty E0388; NGA 5652.


Tarragona Dique de Levante Light, April 2009
(relocated 1864 La Banya Light)
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Sergio Morchon

Tarragona Dique-Rompeolas (Outer Breakwater)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); green light, 1.5 s on, 3.5 s off. 11 m (36 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored green with a white base. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the Tarragona breakwater, an extension of the Dique de Levante. Site and tower closed. ES-28762; Admiralty E0388.12; NGA 5682.
* Cap de Salou
1858. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow red band under the gallery; lantern is all glass including the dome. Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry, the keeper, took the photo at right. Trabas has a view from the sea, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has an aerial view. This is the traditional landfall light for Tarragona. Located on the point of the cape at Cap de Salou, about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Tarragona. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from nearby. ARLHS SPA-043; ES-28700; Admiralty E0386; NGA 5632.

Baix Camp Lighthouse
* Cambrils Dique de Poniente (West Mole)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); three red flashes every 9 s. 9 m (30 ft) post centered on a circular 1-story concrete equipment room. Entire lighthouse painted red. Antonio Alba has a photo, a closeup photo is available, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has an aerial view. Located at the end of the west breakwater of Cambrils. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ES-28580; Admiralty E0384; NGA 5616.

Cap de Salou Light, Tarragona, December 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by lightkeeper Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry,
posted by C.W. Bash

Baix Ebre (Ebro Delta) Lighthouses
El Fangar (3)
1986 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two flashes every 24 s, white or red depending on direction. 18 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a circular 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow red band under the galleries. A photo appears at right, Jordi Domènech i Arnau has a good photo, Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a great photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Far de la Banya. The Punta del Fangar is on a broad sandy spit that has evolved from the north side of the Río Ebro delta. The area is included in a national park and is accessible by 4WD vehicles. The original lighthouse had a lantern centered on the roof of a small keeper's house, mounted on pilings above the sand; it was demolished in 1972 and replaced provisonally by an 8 m (26 ft) steel tower. Located on the beach about 800 m (1/2 mi) from a road, this lighthouse is much easier to reach than the Faro de la Baña. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parc Natural del Delta de l'Ebro. ARLHS SPA-089; ES-28300; Admiralty E0380; NGA 5600.
* Río Ebro
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical metal tower, flared at the top and bottom, mounted on a square concrete pad. Entire lighthouse painted yellow. Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Trabas has an older photo showing the tower's former black and white daymark. Located on the north side of the entrance to the Río Ebro in Ríumar. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-297; ES-28000; Admiralty E0376; NGA 5599.
Cap Tortosa (3)
1984 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 6 s. 18 m (59 ft) hexagonal steel skeletal tower rising from a platform supported by pilings; there is an enclosed equipment shelter on the platform. The tower is metallic gray. Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a photo, and Trabas has a very distant view. This light replaced the historic Faro de Buda, a 50 m (165 ft) octagonal skeletal tower with central cylinder, lantern and gallery, and keeper's quarters; Huelse has a postcard view of that lighthouse, which stood near the mouth of the Ebro and was destroyed by a storm in 1961. Its first successor, a skeletal tower, collapsed in the surf after only three years of service. Apparently there was no light at the cape from 1965 to 1984. This ungainly lighthouse is located about 5 km (3 mi) offshore; there is a distant view from the beach at the point of the cape. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-050; ES-28050; Admiralty E0377; NGA 5598.
Far de Fangar
El Fangar Light, Delta de l'Ebre, 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by .Robert.

Montsià Lighthouses
La Banya (Punta de la Baña) (2)
1978 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two flashes every 5 s, white or red depending on direction. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a circular 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a good photo, a second photo is available, Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Punta de la Baña is on a broad sandy spit that has evolved from the south side of the Río Ebro delta. The area is now included in a national park; it is usually accessible by 4WD vehicles and parking is provided. Boat transportation is also available from Sant Carles de la Ràpita. The original lighthouse survives; it has been relocated to a second career in Tarragona (see below). Located about 10 km (6 mi) from the base of the spit, east of Sant Carles de la Ràpita. Accessible by boat or by a long trek in a 4WD vehicle. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parc Natural del Delta de l'Ebro. ARLHS SPA-209; ES-27470; Admiralty E0370; NGA 5568.
Punta Corballera (El Galacho)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); flash every 4 s, white or green depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical metal tower, flared at the top and bottom, mounted on a square concrete pad. Entire lighthouse painted black. Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a photo, Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the southwestern end of the sand spit on the south side of the Río Ebro delta. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-058; ES-27830; Admiralty E0371.2; NGA 5572.
* Sant Carles de la Ràpita (San Carlos de la Rapita, Punta Senieta)
1864. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red light occulting four times every 10 s. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Trabas has a good closeup photo, Miguel Ángel Sánchez Terry has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse guides ships in the Port dels Alfacs (Puerto de los Alfaques), the bay sheltered by the barrier spit of Punta de la Banya. Located in a roundabout at the end of Carrer del Far, on Punta de la Senieta near the south end of the waterfront in Sant Carles de la Ràpita. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-264; ES-27880; Admiralty E0373; NGA 5576.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Languedoc-Roussillon | East: Balearic Islands | South: Valencia and Murcia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 25, 2006. Checked and revised May 14, 2012. Lighthouses: 27. Site copyright 2012 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.